NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cannabis And Paranoia - Largest Study

+2
Fluffyx
The Puzzler
6 posters

Go down

Cannabis And Paranoia - Largest Study Empty Cannabis And Paranoia - Largest Study

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:07 pm

17th July 2014

To add to all the other studies...

In what is deemed the largest and most in-depth study of the effects of the main
ingredient in marijuana, researchers say they have identified the psychological factors that can lead to feelings of paranoia among users of the drug.

The research team, led by Prof. Daniel Freeman of the University of Oxford in the UK, recently published their findings in the journal Schizophrenia Bulletin.

Marijuana, also known as cannabis, is a drug that is produced from the plants Cannabis sativa or Cannabis indica. The main active ingredient in marijuana is delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is responsible for the majority of the drug's psychological effects, such as hallucinations and delusions.

Researchers suggest that THC - the main active ingredient in marijuana - causes certain negative feelings and changes perceptions that induce paranoid feelings among users of the drug.
Past research has indicated that marijuana use can induce paranoia - which Prof. Freeman describes as "excessive thinking that other people are trying to harm us."

The team found that THC also induced anxiety, worry, reduced mood, negative thoughts about oneself, changes in perception - including the report of louder noises and clouds being brighter - and altered their perception of time. Using a statistical analysis, the researchers found that it may be these negative feelings and changes in perception that cause paranoid feelings among marijuana users.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/279630.php

Back to top Go down

Cannabis And Paranoia - Largest Study Empty Re: Cannabis And Paranoia - Largest Study

Post by The Puzzler Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:48 pm

It's a chicken and egg thing Andy IMO. I started self medicating heavily with weed(and drink - another thing which these studies miss is a LOT of smokers are heavy drinkers as well) thanks to having a really shit couple of years as a teenager(don't want to go into it), but for me my anxiety was mainly caused by the bad experiences I went through - I've noticed it getting worse in the last year or so though and I've been cutting down and trying to eventually quit, if not forever just for a while. The trouble with studies like this is that they try and force a one size fits all sort of thing on everybody, which just doesn't work.
The Puzzler
The Puzzler
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Cannabis And Paranoia - Largest Study Empty Re: Cannabis And Paranoia - Largest Study

Post by Fluffyx Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:06 pm

I have certainly experienced paranoia when i very occasionally smoke cannabis (about one a year .. Cool 

A glass of wine before hand stops the paranoia for me,without it I become incredibly paranoid.

I don't think this true for everyone,some people genuinely find cannabis relaxing and can cope with the drug.But I think it could send someone with severe anxiety problems or worse,someone with psychotic traits,a bit loopy.

It is a hallucogenic at the end of the day,it changes perception of reality.Not everyone can effortlessly smoke it without problems.

This is why I am against making it legal. The drug comes with its own set of problems.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:14 pm

All good points.

Those who drink and take drugs usually have problems beforehand.

They will therefore be even more susceptible to the effects of drink and drugs.

This is just one study - every other study come up with negative results for cannabis, hence why it is illegal.

The only argument for legalising drugs is to reduce the crime people commit to fund it - there are NO positives.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Puzzler Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:21 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:I have certainly experienced paranoia when i very occasionally smoke cannabis (about one a year .. Cool 

A glass of wine before hand stops the paranoia for me,without it I become incredibly paranoid.

I don't think this true for everyone,some people genuinely find cannabis relaxing and can cope with the drug.But I think it could send someone with severe anxiety problems or worse,someone with psychotic traits,a bit loopy.

It is a  hallucogenic at the end of the day,it changes perception of reality.Not everyone can effortlessly smoke it without problems.

This is why I am against making it legal. The drug comes with its own set of problems.
Surely it should be up to adults whether they choose to smoke it or not - the police and Big Daddy Government having a say over what any of us choose to put in our bodies is a breach of civil liberties whichever way you look at it. Millions of people have problems with alcohol, me included, I don't want that banned either.
The Puzzler
The Puzzler
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:24 pm

My daughter said it helps stop the pain of arthritis , I tried it once years ago,i got blinding headache and was physicaly sick.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:26 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:All good points.

This is just one study - every other study come up with negative results for cannabis, hence why it is illegal.

The only argument for legalising drugs is to reduce the crime people commit to fund it - there are NO positives.
well i dont drink never really have
i have smoked for a very long time and as far as i am aware i am considered a well balanced ,friendly helpful guy I don't think anybody`s out to get me any more that the rest of the world
i am more laid back about the crap people say and i don't get upset about it very often i have always see my self as ....zaphod beeblebrox .....

hey he`s just that guy you know

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:26 pm

The Puzzler wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:I have certainly experienced paranoia when i very occasionally smoke cannabis (about one a year .. Cool 

It is a  hallucogenic at the end of the day,it changes perception of reality.Not everyone can effortlessly smoke it without problems.

Surely it should be up to adults whether they choose to smoke it or not - the police and Big Daddy Government having a say over what any of us choose to put in our bodies is a breach of civil liberties whichever way you look at it. Millions of people have problems with alcohol, me included, I don't want that banned either.

Surely we should all be able to drive how we want, whether we want to wear a seat belt etc?

Drugs and drink create criminals, social problems, health problems - and it's us, the hard working taxpayers and our families who suffer.

I support the good people of the country and those who are there to protect and serve us!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:31 pm

hallucogenic? Never had one of those in 25+ years of really heavy smoking fluff couple of whites but no hallucinations

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:37 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
The Puzzler wrote:

Surely we should all be able to drive how we want, whether we want to wear a seat belt etc?

Drugs and drink create criminals, social problems, health problems - and it's us, the hard working taxpayers and our families who suffer.

I support the good people of the country and those who are there to protect and serve us!
If that was true this would be a lawless country......there is a minority that I would agree that is true but i as a "drug" user have never been in trouble or committed criminal acts other than smoking

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Korben_Dallas wrote:

hallucogenic? Never had one of those in 25+ years of really heavy smoking fluff couple of whites but no hallucinations

Not hallucinations per se but I have experienced panic attacks.But then,i'm big wimp  lol! 
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:46 pm

The Puzzler wrote:

This is a difficult one for me.

I am sure the hallucogenic properties would certainly affect those suffering with schizophrenia as cited by the aforementioned study.

But should cannabis not be legalised just because it may worsen mental health problems in a minority of people? I don't know.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:46 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Korben_Dallas wrote:

Not hallucinations per se but I have experienced panic attacks.But then,i'm big wimp  lol! 
panic attacks yes i have seen that happen mostly with people smoking for the first time or inexperienced smokers over dopeing ....it passes quickly with a lie down and a cup of coffee i find

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Korben_Dallas wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

panic attacks yes i have seen that happen mostly with people smoking for the first time or inexperienced smokers over dopeing ....it passes quickly with a lie down and a cup of coffee i find

Without wanting to over share people with chronic bad nerves and/or anxiety cannot be calmed down with a lie down and a cup of coffee.

However it is up to the individual to decide whether a certain substance is too problematic to use.

Herein lies the problem.People with psychosis aren't capable of acting in their best interests and may smoke a strain of cannabis that worsens their condition.But should the rest of people who happily enjoy cannabis without incident be penalised because of that?
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:54 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Korben_Dallas wrote:

Without wanting to over share people with chronic bad nerves and/or anxiety cannot be calmed down with a lie down and a cup of coffee.

However it is up to the individual to decide whether a certain substance is too problematic to use.

Herein lies the problem.People with psychosis aren't capable of acting in their best interests and may smoke a strain of cannabis that worsens their condition.But should the rest of people who happily enjoy cannabis without incident be penalised because of that?
i completely agree and as i have never had those kind of feelings it is perhaps hard for me to relate

But as you say "But should the rest of people who happily enjoy cannabis without incident be penalised "
No of course not

if you applied the same test to alcohol
People with alcoholism aren't capable of acting in their best interests
It's the hypocrisy of the law that bothers me the most
One arguably more damaging drug alcohol is perfectly legal to sell and make
The other less harmful drug is vilified and misrepresented to push a false narrative

Back to top Go down

Post by The Puzzler Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:53 pm

I actually think booze has fucked my life up more than ganja - I'd be much happier and have more money if I just smoked. But it's a very hard habit to kick when all your family and mates drink like fish.
The Puzzler
The Puzzler
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:05 pm

Surely these things affect people differently, just like some medications don't work for some people, and people who use cannabis don't turn into criminals ffs.  lol! lol! lol! 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:55 pm

Korben_Dallas wrote:
FluffyBunny wrote:

i completely agree and as i have never had those kind of feelings it is perhaps hard for me to relate

But as you say "But should the rest of people who happily enjoy cannabis without incident be penalised "
No of course not

The other less harmful drug is vilified and misrepresented to push a false narrative

I agree with your point.Part of me agrees cannabis should be legalised as alcohol is far more destructive.

However I don't think cannabis is vilified,I believe the opposite is true .Everyone thinks it's a soft drug that should be legalised and it is not considered the same as other drugs which are deemed to be harmful.

The potential impact on mental health is rarely discussed and when it is,it is dismissed.

I really am in two minds about this.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Puzzler Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:04 pm

FluffyBunny wrote:
Korben_Dallas wrote:

No of course not

I agree with your point.Part of me agrees cannabis should be legalised as alcohol is far more destructive.

However I don't think cannabis is vilified,I believe the opposite is true .Everyone thinks it's a soft drug that should be legalised and it is not considered the same as other drugs which are deemed to be harmful.

The potential impact on mental health is rarely discussed and when it is,it is dismissed.

I really am in two minds about this.
The police and media vilify it.
The Puzzler
The Puzzler
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Puzzler Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:06 pm

And as I just said I think drink has fucked up my life more than anything else.
The Puzzler
The Puzzler
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:22 am

that is not true
there are positives
Most studies suggest the heath and social effects are minimal compared with alcohol.

VERY few cannabis only users commit other crimes.

AND the biggest argument for legalising them is the HUGE tax revenue the gov't would receive

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:30 am

veya_victaous wrote:

that is not true
there are positives
Most studies suggest the heath and social effects are minimal compared with alcohol.

VERY few cannabis only users commit other crimes.

AND the biggest argument for legalising them is the HUGE tax revenue the gov't would receive

As well as why would a government want to hand control of the drugs market in cannabis to the crooks and the drug dealers?

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:15 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Surely these things affect people differently, just like some medications don't work for some people, and people who use cannabis don't turn into criminals ffs.  lol! lol! lol! 

I have never thought people who smoke cannabis turn into criminals,where that mindset comes from I don't know.People would most likely be too lethargic for criminal activity!  Razz 

Yes Ben,cannabis affects each individual differently and the majority don't experience mental concerns.

For the tiny minority that do,such a schizophrenic patients etc,the affects can be very damamging.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down