NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Cass

Go down

For Cass Empty For Cass

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Book you might like, called The Queen of Whale Cay by Kate Summerscale who wrote The Suspicions of Mr Whicher.

It's about a woman born in 1900 to an American oil heiress and a British army captain, who realised early on she didn't like what other little girls liked. She re-invented herself as 'Joe' Carstairs, smoked cigars and became Britiain's most celebrated female speed boat racer - 'the fastest woman on water'.

Her life was a riot, from 1934 onwards she retired (young) to the Bahamian island of Whale Cay, throw parties for the famous and royal. One of her lovers was Marlene Dietrich. Yet the thing she loved most for all her life was a small boy doll named Lord Tod Wadley. Very very out of the ordinary and she didn't die until 1993.

Back to top Go down

For Cass Empty Re: For Cass

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:29 pm

Last edited by lovedust on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double post again sorry whoops)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:29 pm

That's odd. I was thinking about Marlene Dietrich yesterday which I normally don't.

She was taken by James Stewart's easy charm but put out by his unwillingness to commit to her emotionally, in case you were wondering.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:31 pm

What's even odder is that you thought about it so much you posted it twice!  lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:34 pm

What can it all mean? Stewart was just as nice as pie, but I don't think they were well-matched. If only I'd been there to advise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:37 pm

lovedust wrote:What can it all mean? Stewart was just as nice as pie, but I don't think they were well-matched. If only I'd been there to advise.

I'd have told him to run a mile lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Sassy wrote:
lovedust wrote:What can it all mean? Stewart was just as nice as pie, but I don't think they were well-matched. If only I'd been there to advise.

Why indeed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:56 pm

lovedust wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Why indeed?

She'd have eaten him up and spat him out and would have had his bones ground for fertilizer lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:09 pm

You may well be right, but I still think she was stonking in 'Destry Rides Again'. I was goin to say Blazing Saddles too, before remembering that was actually a Dietrich parody.

Sorry for taking your thread off-topic btw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:16 pm

lovedust wrote:You may well be right, but I still think she was stonking in 'Destry Rides Again'. I was goin to say Blazing Saddles too, before remembering that was actually a Dietrich parody.

Sorry for taking your thread off-topic btw

Not a prob, was interesting. Unfortunately been so hot I'm knackered, so off to bed, night lovey xxxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:28 pm

Goodnight! xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:20 pm

cool thanks.....always like personal histories....cheers x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down