NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will the channel tunnel...

4 posters

Go down

Will the channel tunnel... Empty Will the channel tunnel...

Post by Guest Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Collapse one day?often wondered that, what with the weight pressure constantly against it from the water, never crossed under it myself , but it must be so costly on maintenance...the wee lass went through it on her Paris trip last week...

I was jealous!

Back to top Go down

Will the channel tunnel... Empty Re: Will the channel tunnel...

Post by Guest Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Yes JD...I think it will.....either deliberately by The british govt to stem the invading hordes
OR to the sound of

ALLAH AKABA(or whatever) at a peak holiday season.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Joy Division wrote:Collapse one day?often wondered that, what with the weight pressure constantly against it from the water, never crossed under it myself , but it must be so costly on maintenance...the wee lass went through it on her Paris trip last week...

I was jealous!

This is strange, as I was thinking the very same thing the other day. I wondered how long you are actually in the tunnel for and what if a disaster struck whilst inside! I don't like the thought of been in a tunnel for so long with all that water on top, very claustrophobic.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Christie wrote:
Joy Division wrote:Collapse one day?often wondered that, what with the weight pressure constantly against it from the water, never crossed under it myself , but it must be so costly on maintenance...the wee lass went through it on her Paris trip last week...

I was jealous!

This is strange, as I was thinking the very same thing the other day. I wondered how long you are actually in the tunnel for and what if a disaster struck whilst inside! I don't like the thought of been in a tunnel for so long with all that water on top, very claustrophobic.

Nope me neither christie.
If I go by train I'm always worried the train will rattle it into a collapse lol
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:16 am

Christie wrote:

I was jealous!

...spooky yeah?!!

I think one day it will be inevitable that this tunnel does give way, even with loads of maintenance, may be not in our time, but it will happen ...

...dunno if a bridge would have been safer, but 21 miles or so of bridge ! What a Face 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:58 am

Joy Division wrote:
Christie wrote:

...spooky yeah?!!

I think one day it will be inevitable that this tunnel does give way, even with loads of maintenance, may be not in our time, but it will happen ...

...dunno if a bridge would have been safer, but  21 miles or so of bridge ! What a Face 

Some interesting facts for you Joy Division:

The Channel Tunnel is a 31.4 mile long undersea tunnel that reaches 250 feet below sea level at its lowest point. It has the longest portion of a tunnel undersea in the world, but the Seikan Tunnel in Japan goes deeper at 790 feet below sea level.

The tunnel was opened in 1994, at a cost of 80% more than the original budget.

It took 13,000 workers, technicians and engineers to build the tunnel.

The Channel Tunnel has a total of 3 tunnels. There are two running tunnels and a service tunnel that is smaller than the running tunnels. The two running tunnels are 30 meters apart.

The material used to build the tunnel was mainly Chalk Marl. Chalk Marl is approximately 100 million years old and was being created when the dinosaurs still walked the earth. It is a marine deposit made up of small fossils and has a high clay content which makes it impervious to water.

The lining of the tunnel is designed to last for 120 years.

During construction, the English side progressed faster than the French side. The French had more difficulty due to adverse conditions.

There is a section of the tunnel called the English and French Crossover where trains can change tunnels if they need to.

There are three pumping station under the sea and one on each shore to keep the tunnel system dry.

Because of the earth that was removed from undersea to build the tunnel, the UK has increased its size by 90 acres. The earth that was removed was deposited in several lagoons under Shakespeare Cliff and is now a popular place for fishing, walking and picnicking. The French used their earth to build a new hill.

It takes 35 minutes to go from France to the UK in this tunnel.

The running trains are 24 feet in diameter.

When the Channel Tunnel was complete it cost 15 billion. The original cost was estimated at 3.6 billion.

The English side was very worried that animals infected with rabies may make it through the tunnel. Great Britain had not had any rabies cases since 1902, so the tunnel had to be designed to ensure no animals could cross.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:12 am

If an animal with rabies can cross a 31.4-mile underwater tunnel, I say it DESERVES to bite somebody, dammit.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:43 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:If an animal with rabies can cross a 31.4-mile underwater tunnel, I say it DESERVES to bite somebody, dammit.

+1
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:38 am

The experience is completely amazing.

Providing your car has a sun roof or rag top that is open, the serene movements of the fish above your head are truly magical.

Not eaten a fish finger since my first trip under the Channel.  Some of the poor disabled fish with prosthetic digits.....
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:28 am

gerber wrote:The experience is completely amazing.

Providing your car has a sun roof or rag top that is open, the serene movements of the fish above your head are truly magical.

Not eaten a fish finger since my first trip under the Channel.  Some of the poor disabled fish with prosthetic digits.....

::D:: 
Love it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Christie wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

...spooky yeah?!!

...dunno if a bridge would have been safer, but  21 miles or so of bridge ! What a Face 

Some interesting facts for you Joy Division:

The Channel Tunnel is a 31.4 mile long undersea tunnel that reaches 250 feet below sea level at its lowest point. It has the longest portion of a tunnel undersea in the world, but the Seikan Tunnel in Japan goes deeper at 790 feet below sea level.

The tunnel was opened in 1994, at a cost of 80% more than the original budget.

It took 13,000 workers, technicians and engineers to build the tunnel.

The Channel Tunnel has a total of 3 tunnels. There are two running tunnels and a service tunnel that is smaller than the running tunnels. The two running tunnels are 30 meters apart.

The material used to build the tunnel was mainly Chalk Marl. Chalk Marl is approximately 100 million years old and was being created when the dinosaurs still walked the earth. It is a marine deposit made up of small fossils and has a high clay content which makes it impervious to water.

The lining of the tunnel is designed to last for 120 years.

During construction, the English side progressed faster than the French side. The French had more difficulty due to adverse conditions.

There is a section of the tunnel called the English and French Crossover where trains can change tunnels if they need to.

There are three pumping station under the sea and one on each shore to keep the tunnel system dry.

Because of the earth that was removed from undersea to build the tunnel, the UK has increased its size by 90 acres. The earth that was removed was deposited in several lagoons under Shakespeare Cliff and is now a popular place for fishing, walking and picnicking. The French used their earth to build a new hill.

It takes 35 minutes to go from France to the UK in this tunnel.

The running trains are 24 feet in diameter.

When the Channel Tunnel was complete it cost 15 billion. The original cost was estimated at 3.6 billion.

The English side was very worried that animals infected with rabies may make it through the tunnel. Great Britain had not had any rabies cases since 1902, so the tunnel had to be designed to ensure no animals could cross.

Can't say I realised any of this Christie...I do remember when the French and British had met in the middle so to speak and that the cost would be huge, yes, I heard it was going to go over budget, but I had t a clue it was by so much  What a Face 

That has to be right about animals surely anyway ...as we just couldn't have any Tom, Dick or Harry going back and forth between Britain and France with animals possibly infected with rabies anyway  What a Face 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down