NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K

4 posters

Go down

South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K Empty South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K

Post by Guest Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:13 pm

A small South Dakota town can be all yours for $400,000 (£234,000).

South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K Swett2-1-762x428

Lance Benson - the sole owner of Swett, an unincorporated hamlet about two hours south east of Rapid City - has put the 6.16-acre town on the market.

An online posting says the "beautiful prairie" town comes complete with "a bar, large 40x80 garage that has been used as a tyre shop, house, and 3 trailer houses".

http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2014/6/30/320037/default/v2/swett1-1-762x428.jpg
Swett Tavern is the only bar in a 10-mile radius. Pic: Zillow

Mr Benson, who runs a travelling concession business, told the Rapid City Journal he would love to keep the town but he needs to focus on his business.

South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K Swett3-1-762x428
The tavern has "many updates", according to the posting. Pic: Zillow

He told the newspaper: "Like I say, I hate to get rid of it. If I don't sell it this first year, I would probably keep it."

Benson bought the town - population two - in 1998.

http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2014/6/30/320035/default/v2/swett4-1-762x428.jpg
Mr Benson's house is included in the sale. Pic: Zillow

Swett, which had as many as 40 residents during the 1940s, was named after a local farmer who owned a grocery store that briefly housed a post office.

South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K Swett5-1-762x428
Three trailer homes are part of the package. Pic: Zillow

But the government decided the rural town was too small to have its own post office and it was closed in 1945, according to the Zillow ad.

South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K Swett6-1-762x428
The prairie town is 110 miles south east of Rapid City. Pic: Zillow

Currently, Mr Benson, his wife and the couple's dog are the town's only permanent residents.

Swett Tavern, however, remains a popular destination for people in the surrounding area, as it is the only watering hole in a 10-mile (16-km) radius, according to the Journal.

http://news.sky.com/story/1292455/south-dakota-town-goes-on-sale-for-400k

There you go, sell your house and buy a town!  Evil or Very Mad  pale 

Back to top Go down

South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K Empty Re: South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:54 pm

And to think of the poor people who built that town with their own blood, tears ... and Swett ...

clown 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K Empty Re: South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K

Post by Guest Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:57 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:And to think of the poor people who built that town with their own blood, tears ... and Swett ...

clown 

Oh that was BAD, but hilarious!!!!!!  :asvampas: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:59 am

despite the tavern......no....too much snow
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:05 am

Cass wrote:despite the tavern......no....too much snow

It's sad, but I'm thinking that even at $400,000 it's still too expensive. How could you hope to make that money back from the investment?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:11 am

Gotta have a piece of the bar, too. How is the acreage held?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:21 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

It's sad, but I'm thinking that even at $400,000 it's still too expensive. How could you hope to make that money back from the investment?

that hardly buys you a 2 bedroom flat in outer Sydney  Sad Sad Sad 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:28 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

that hardly buys you a 2 bedroom flat in outer Sydney  Sad Sad Sad 

Shit son, you should look up the cost of a house in Detroit! Smile

Can you spare a dollar?

http://www.zillow.com/detroit-mi/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:40 am

that's where they used to make cars? anything else? Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect 

cause I am seriously thinking of just staying with my parents and buying investment property (as I cant afford to buy anything within 2 hour commute of work, parents are about an hour commute) and I could buy like half a dozen of the ones Not for a dollar just with the money I woudl be using for a deposit here.

http://www.domain.com.au/search/buy/state/nsw/area/eastern-suburbs/region/sydney-region/suburb/redfern/?ssubs=1&searchterm=redfern
buying where I work $700,000 min most are closer to $1.5million and some are over $2million

And that is in the "Aboriginal Slum" (as shady put it) of Redfern  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes 

The Biggest problem with paradise is too many people want to live here and can Afford to Pay big bucks  Sad Sad Sad Sad 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:43 am

veya_victaous wrote:that's where they used to make cars? anything else? Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect 

cause I am seriously thinking of just staying with my parents and buying investment property (as I cant afford to buy anything within 2 hour commute of work, parents are about an hour commute) and I could buy like half a dozen of the ones Not for a dollar just with the money I woudl be using for a deposit here.

http://www.domain.com.au/search/buy/state/nsw/area/eastern-suburbs/region/sydney-region/suburb/redfern/?ssubs=1&searchterm=redfern
buying where I work  $700,000 min most are closer to $1.5million  and some are over $2million

And that is in the "Aboriginal Slum" (as shady put it) of Redfern  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes 

The Biggest problem with paradise is too many people want to live here and can Afford to Pay big bucks  Sad Sad Sad Sad 

No, that's pretty much it. But they're making cars again, thanks to Obama, of course Smile

South Dakota Town Goes On Sale For $400K Automotive-jobs
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:14 pm

I repeat. Who owns the land? Is he claiming it just because he's the only resident? Seems to me the only thing he's got is a bar.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:24 pm

In the OP Quill:

Lance Benson - the sole owner of Swett, an unincorporated hamlet about two hours south east of Rapid City - has put the 6.16-acre town on the market.

An online posting says the "beautiful prairie" town comes complete with "a bar, large 40x80 garage that has been used as a tyre shop, house, and 3 trailer houses".

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Sassy wrote:In the OP Quill:

it forgot to say and under snow for half of the year Cool.......but I'm rethinking it with all that other stuff thrown in!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:39 pm

affraid 

Yea, who could resist those three mobile homes that haven't be inhabited for years!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:41 pm

oh but they have been inhabited.....by spiders, snakes etc.....gently lived in is the proper real estate term I believe lol
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:44 pm

Cass wrote:oh but they have been inhabited.....by spiders, snakes etc.....gently lived in is the proper real estate term I believe lol

And you have to be gentle when you go in, or you fall through the floor and get bitten!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down