NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook Admits Manipulating the Emotions of Over a Half-Million Users in 'Experiment'

2 posters

Go down

Facebook Admits Manipulating the Emotions of Over a Half-Million Users in 'Experiment' Empty Facebook Admits Manipulating the Emotions of Over a Half-Million Users in 'Experiment'

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:21 pm

This is creepy!

It already knows whether you are single or dating, the first school you went to and whether you like or loathe Justin Bieber. But now Facebook, the world's biggest social networking site, is facing a storm of protest after it revealed it had discovered how to make users feel happier or sadder with a few computer key strokes.

It has published details of a vast experiment in which it manipulated information posted on 689,000 users' home pages and found it could make people feel more positive or negative through a process of "emotional contagion".

In a study with academics from Cornell and the University of California, Facebook filtered users' news feeds – the flow of comments, videos, pictures and web links posted by other people in their social network. One test reduced users' exposure to their friends' "positive emotional content", resulting in fewer positive posts of their own. Another test reduced exposure to "negative emotional content" and the opposite happened.

The study concluded: "Emotions expressed by friends, via online social networks, influence our own moods, constituting, to our knowledge, the first experimental evidence for massive-scale emotional contagion via social networks."

Lawyers, internet activists and politicians said this weekend that the mass experiment in emotional manipulation was "scandalous", "spooky" and "disturbing".

On Sunday evening, a senior British MP called for a parliamentary investigation into how Facebook and other social networks manipulated emotional and psychological responses of users by editing information supplied to them.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/29/facebook-users-emotions-news-feeds
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Facebook Admits Manipulating the Emotions of Over a Half-Million Users in 'Experiment' Empty Re: Facebook Admits Manipulating the Emotions of Over a Half-Million Users in 'Experiment'

Post by eddie Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Can you simplify for me?
I'm not getting it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Facebook Admits Manipulating the Emotions of Over a Half-Million Users in 'Experiment' Empty Re: Facebook Admits Manipulating the Emotions of Over a Half-Million Users in 'Experiment'

Post by Guest Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:26 pm

Bloody hell, that is more than creepy! I hope they do have a parliamentary investigation, thankfully I very rarely use my facebook, in fact can't remember the last time I did. I find that seriously worrying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:26 pm

eddie wrote:Can you simplify for me?
I'm not getting it.

Sure, they basically messed with people's newsfeeds to expose some of them to a higher dose of negative posts/lower dose of positive posts, and vice-versa.

They found that the people exposed to more negativity in turn made more negative posts, and people exposed to more positivity made more positive posts, suggesting their mood was affected by the tampering.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:32 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
I'm not getting it.

Sure, they basically messed with people's newsfeeds to expose some of them to a higher dose of negative posts/lower dose of positive posts, and vice-versa.

They found that the people exposed to more negativity in turn made more negative posts, and people exposed to more positivity made more positive posts, suggesting their mood was affected by the tampering.

Ok, thanks. I though that's what you meant but wanted to be sure before I said: WTF????

How,wrong is that? Do they know now many people,they could possibly have pushed over the edge with a stunt like that???
It's immoral and it's very dangerous IMO.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:34 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
I'm not getting it.

Ok, thanks. I though that's what you meant but wanted to be sure before I said: WTF????

How,wrong is that? Do they know now many people,they could possibly have pushed over the edge with a stunt like that???

Yeah, and not just the manipulation but essentially experimenting on people's minds without their knowledge or consent ... very messed up.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:35 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Also, if they were making posts more negative, what sort of things were they saying, they had to be lies about the person allegedly posting, and and other way round, someone could have been saying they were ill, hoping for help, and they changed it to say they were feeling fine.   Who the hell do they think they are doing something like that! And what about the fact that the University of California were involved in it, they should both be prosecuted. More Hacking!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:42 pm

No sass, that's not how I understood it?
They wasn't changing people's post they were filtering only the one they wanted the particular user to see.

For example, if they were using me as the experiment, they may only have shown yours and Ben's negative posts and not the three positive ones made by my other three friends?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:54 pm

eddie wrote:No sass, that's not how I understood it?
They wasn't changing people's post they were filtering only the one they wanted the particular user to see.

For example, if they were using me as the experiment, they may only have shown yours and Ben's negative posts and not the three positive ones made  by my other three friends?

Yo why I gotta be the negative one? Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:00 pm

For example, if they were using me as the experiment, they may only have shown yours and Ben's negative posts and not the three positive ones made  by my other three friends?

Even if that was the case, it's still hacking because it is interferring with posts that are sent, whether they change them or stop them.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:22 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Yo why I gotta be the negative one? Smile

Cos I said. And cos you go on about yaks and bison  Rolling Eyes 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Your animosity appears to be inappropriately directed at the contestant, rather than at the contest itself.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Your animosity appears to be inappropriately directed at the contestant, rather than at the contest itself.

Yak off.  Evil or Very Mad 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down