NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment?

+4
'Wolfie
eddie
Lurker
Ben Reilly
8 posters

Go down

Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment? Empty Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment?

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:57 pm

It's argued that the switch from drinking mostly alcohol to the coffeehouse craze literally fueled the increased mental output that gave rise to the Age of Enlightenment:

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment? Empty

Post by Lurker Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:36 am

Maybe that's why I'm so smart. I have drunk an ocean of coffee in my life. LOL I guess conservatives are still on the booze.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment? Empty Re: Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment?

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:49 am

And what would the hit TV series 'Friends' have been like without coffee?

"I like Fonzie." Cracks me up every time!

Even though coffee can make me a bit jittery, it makes my chakras feel all fuzzy! I like it with chunks of cheese in!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment? Empty Re: Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment?

Post by eddie Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 am

And.....? Have you had too much cheese and coffee, now, dude..? Huh? Neutral
Okaaaaaaay....

Anyhoo! Friends is bloody hilarious. And coffee can be funny too, especially the ones with silly titles like “Colombian Coconut Milking Mama”
So quaint.

I don’t however, find cheese funny. So can’t comment on that part of your post.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:38 am

Ben Cottonpickin' Reilly wrote:And what would the hit TV series 'Friends' have been like without coffee?

"I like Fonzie." Cracks me up every time!

Even though coffee can make me a bit jittery, it makes my chakras feel all fuzzy! I like it with chunks of cheese in!

Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment? 2097912929

Just keep any soured milk, butter or cream for your coffee, rather than throwing it out...

Would certainly save on buying cheese just to put in your coffee..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:28 am

I drink a fair bit of coffee. At home I use decaff, but when I'm out I generally don't. People think you shouldn't drink coffee in pubs, but I do. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:10 am

I think coffee has changed the way we live.
In England we used to have quaint little tea rooms serving pots of tea in fancy cups and saucers.....afternoon tea was something most people drank....even if it was just a builders brew in a mug.

Now coffee houses spill out onto the pavement in every high street, coffee is a far more casual drink to compliment a far more casual way of life.

I drink about 4/5 cups a day, always decaf....seldom drink tea.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Idea

A cup of white coffee contains over 600 chemical compounds...

400 of them are more toxic than caffeine..

Yet every day so many people out there are crapping themselves over a little caffeine in their diets;  (and then watch how many of them, in turn, will happily toss down caffeine-laced cola and "sports/energy" drinks..).
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:49 pm

What a crock of shit

How do they explain all the previous advancements in technology before the advent of coffee in Europe?

I mean what next?

That redbull is going to be seen as the bases that has advanced science in the 21st century?

Then ask why then the indegenious South Americans were technologically behind the Europeans, by a massive margin at the time?

Seriously?

I mean we might as well attribute tobacco to this as well, for the time. As that also keeps people alert and awake.

I mean in his story with the coffee house did some of them smoke?

If yes, then where does that leave his view point here?

Shall we add the tomato to this also?

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment? 562977434

Tomatoes...

Yum..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:01 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment? 562977434

Tomatoes...

Yum..

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:30 am

Did coffee fuel the Age of Enlightenment? O69PuUr
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:33 am

Didge wrote:What a crock of shit

How do they explain all the previous advancements in technology before the advent of coffee in Europe?

I mean what next?

That redbull is going to be seen as the bases that has advanced science in the 21st century?

Then ask why then the indegenious South Americans were technologically behind the Europeans, by a massive margin at the time?

Seriously?

I mean we might as well attribute tobacco to this as well, for the time. As that also keeps people alert and awake.

they were not.

they had superior Agriculture, aqueducts and Hygiene just for starters.

they didn't have Steel because Iron is not common in South America, but their Gold work was as advanced as anyone else. 
they didn't have gun powder because they hadn't been in contact with China. 

they were just less advanced at Murderous Warfare, Because culturally they far preferred to capture enemies
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:11 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Didge wrote:What a crock of shit

I mean what next?

Seriously?

they were not.

they had superior Agriculture, aqueducts and Hygiene just for starters.

they didn't have Steel because Iron is not common in South America, but their Gold work was as advanced as anyone else. 
they didn't have gun powder because they hadn't been in contact with China. 

they were just less advanced at Murderous Warfare, Because culturally they far preferred to capture enemies

Yes they were behind in a mountain of technology and many of their enemies ended up on the alter of sacrifice

You name two technologies, one of which aqueducts  was already in use for centuries in Europe

Farming technics does not then make them more technologically more advance as a whole dummy

I see the point went over your head around coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:48 am

what did Europe have? Guns and sail boats that's it 
Basic Hygiene products like SOAP!!! were still yet to be discovered by Europeans  

yes they sacrificed them but to keep them alive for sacrifice after defeating them in battle required Better medical Understanding than Europeans possessed at the time too. 

the Only thing the Violent Barbarian invaders had were more destructive Weapons.

they were not that far behind at all, 
ahead in Agriculture, Medicine, Surgery, Hygiene, City Planning etc 
a.k.a the things that make people Civilized 
Europe Had Guns and a more Violent disposition
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:54 am

Also first with accurate Calendars, anesthetic and apartment towers
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:35 am

veya_victaous wrote:what did Europe have? Guns and sail boats that's it 
Basic Hygiene products like SOAP!!! were still yet to be discovered by Europeans  

yes they sacrificed them but to keep them alive for sacrifice after defeating them in battle required Better medical Understanding than Europeans possessed at the time too. 

the Only thing the Violent Barbarian invaders had were more destructive Weapons.

Razz

Let's not forget that Europe largely self-destructed during the "Dark Ages"...

And during their re-building and the Renaissance period, they had to re-import a lot of missing (and new..) knowledge from the Near East' and northern Africa and the Far East..

And then they had their big push to colonise so many 'New World' territories from the 16th century onwards, having fucked over their own continent so badly during the previous 1500 years !
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:51 pm

Subjective to say the least as many of the above can be attributed to the Mayans, who's civilization went extinct

The Europeans were advanced in metallurgy, architecture, ship buiding, navigation, transportation, trade, schools Universities, Hospicies, Hospitals ( of which at the time they were skilled as surgeons in Europe and medical practices advanced rapidly from 1450), understanding of time with the Gregorian calendar, scientific knowledge in areas like gravity,.

Like I said, the Euopeans were way more advanced in countless areas.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:47 pm

Hahahahaha debate that has sprung up from a five year old thread.

Love it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:08 am

Didge wrote:

Subjective to say the least as many of the above can be attributed to the Mayans, who's civilization went extinct

The Europeans were advanced in metallurgy, architecture, ship buiding, navigation, transportation, trade, schools Universities, Hospicies, Hospitals ( of which at the time they were skilled as surgeons in Europe and medical practices advanced rapidly from 1450), understanding of time with the Gregorian calendar, scientific knowledge in areas like gravity,.

But vastly behind in just as many areas, particularly in Hygiene and even the best surgeons of Europe back then were complete amateurs that killed more people than they saved, sawing off limbs with saws covered in shit and blood and no anesthetic or antiseptics was the best the European doctors could do  Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:28 am

eddie wrote:Hahahahaha debate that has sprung up from a five year old thread.

Love it.

Just goes to show what can happen when you've finally got a big enough audience!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:46 am

But it's a smaller audience.  All the SF people are gone.  Wothoppen?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:04 am

to be fair it's not really a debate just Didge being pulled up on Out dated Eurocentric Propaganda. that has 100% factually been disproven for decades 

the fact that there are still People that believe the openly blatant lies of the Colonial era is astounding.  No No No No
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:25 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Didge wrote:

But vastly behind in just as many areas, particularly in Hygiene and even the best surgeons of Europe back then were complete amateurs that killed more people than they saved, sawing off limbs with saws covered in shit and blood and no anesthetic or antiseptics was the best the European doctors could do  Rolling Eyes

Again you have not got a clue what you are talking about

As see i showed far more areas that Europeans were advanced in and can name even more

The point though was that and like I said, is the 21st century in advancements going to be put down to red bull?

No and why my edcuation has nothing to do with Colonialism, you are the colonialist and live in a Colonialist nation

So I nerver lied at all, I showed up that yet again you are as thick as shit on history

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:50 am

no you haven't mention more areas 
because there is NOT more areas, not even close to more areas, SAILING and GUNS that's it. 

and it might be put down to red bull if people of the future choose to LIE as much as you about the technology and advancements of the past be because they are so racist they can't accept white people Did NOT develop everything, and were not more advanced than the cultures that Raped and Pillaged, Just more violent.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:07 pm

veya_victaous wrote:no you haven't mention more areas 
because there is NOT more areas, not even close to more areas, SAILING and GUNS that's it. 

and it might be put down to red bull if people of the future choose to LIE as much as you about the technology and advancements of the past be because they are so racist they can't accept white people Did NOT develop everything, and were not more advanced than the cultures that Raped and Pillaged, Just more violent.

I mentioned far more, by a long margin

Maybe you need a maths evening college class to help you

The reality is this. Many early civilizations advanced without any coffee what so ever

So how do you explain that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down