NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Evolution: Human brainpower came at a cost to physical strength

Go down

Evolution: Human brainpower came at a cost to physical strength Empty Evolution: Human brainpower came at a cost to physical strength

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 31, 2014 6:48 am

While it's long been understood the abilities of our brains separate human beings from all other life on Earth, a new study suggests human muscles themselves are pretty special as well.

Scientists in China examined the evolution of metabolites -- small molecules like sugars, vitamins and amino acids -- that play key roles in the human body's physiological functions, explained a research group news release.

The study, published in the open-access journal PLOS Biology, revealed metabolite concentrations evolved rapidly over the course of human evolution in two types of tissues, in the brain and muscles.

The human genome, explained the study, changes steadily through time, yet only a few of those changes were likely responsible for the development of distinct human features.

To identify what other factors outside the genome affected human evolution, researchers from the Shanghai-based Chinese Academy of Science-Max Planck Gesellschaft Partner Institute for Computational Biology, took the first official scientific look ever at the human metabolome, the collection of metabolites present in human tissues.

"Metabolites are more dynamic than the genome and they can give us more information about what makes us human," research leader Philipp Khaitovich said in the release. "It is also commonly known that the human brain consumes way more energy than the brains of other species; we were curious to see which metabolic processes this involves."

Unlike the human genome's generally uniform pace of evolution, it was discovered the metabolome of the human brain has evolved four times faster than that of the chimpanzee, and that human muscles demonstrated an even higher amount of metabolic change -- 10 times that of the chimpanzee.

"For a long time we were confused by metabolic changes in human muscle," said Kasia Bozek, the lead author of the study, "until we realized that what other primates have in common, in contrast to humans, is their enormous muscle strength... our results suggest a special energy management in humans, that allows us to spare energy for our extraordinary cognitive powers at a cost of weak muscle."

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/13719/20140529/study-human-brainpower-evolved-at-cost-to-muscle-strength.htm
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Evolution: Human brainpower came at a cost to physical strength Empty Re: Evolution: Human brainpower came at a cost to physical strength

Post by Guest Sat May 31, 2014 8:37 pm

Very interesting... I suppose that trade-off would have to have taken place as we moved from a completely wild species to one which utilised even the most basic of tools.

Back to top Go down

Evolution: Human brainpower came at a cost to physical strength Empty Re: Evolution: Human brainpower came at a cost to physical strength

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 31, 2014 8:49 pm

lovedust wrote:
Very interesting... I suppose that trade-off would have to have taken place as we moved from a completely wild species to one which utilised even the most basic of tools.

Right on, and I think it's really interesting how you see analogies in animals -- how domesticated cattle, dogs, horses, etc. are not as strong (and have more fragile bones) than their wild counterparts.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:17 pm

THIS....explains why didge is so strong ://?roflmao?/: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:19 pm

I love how I have certain posters rattled they have to talk about me all the time.

Happy days.

::D::

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:04 pm

rattled...nah...but you are worth 1000's of amusement points...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:09 pm

As I say very rattled, that they have to constantly comment about me where I have stated nothing, it shows I am constantly on their mind, which also means, very rattled.

AS if you were not, I would even be needed to be mentioned, but funny how you constantly do so..

Ha Ha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
lovedust wrote:

Right on, and I think it's really interesting how you see analogies in animals -- how domesticated cattle, dogs, horses, etc. are not as strong (and have more fragile bones) than their wild counterparts.

Uh-huh... I remember reading a web-page where people were debating man's basic survival skills. One poster mused they'd be less able to fend for themselves if they were lost outside than their own kitten, given the kitten instinctively knew how to hunt and find its bearing over distances.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:31 pm

LD...consider this....

Lets say for arguments sake that a 100m wide rocky asteroid impacted at 30Kms /sec in paris

the destruction in paris would be complete...total wipe out

the rest of france would be so severly damaged as to be useless

in britain about 6million would die as a DIRECT result of the blast and heat flash
all facilities would fail
all services would cease
the govt would be useless
the forces likewise would be unable to do anything, with NO command stucture left...

within 3 months another 10 million would die as a result of rioting, starvation and disease

within 6 months unless MASSIVE international aid was available

another 20-30 million would die...BECAUSE THEY COULDNT LOOK AFTER THESELVES
they couldnt purify water
build safe latrines
hunt for food
grow food
treat minor injuries
dont know how to navigate
maintain shelter

have the common sense to get out of crowded areas...

If they found food "on the hoof" they wouldnt have a clue what to do

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:33 pm

being a "primitive" has its advantages now and again.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Very wrong, I doubt such a blast would reach Britain with that affect to kill people, that is far fetched to say the least. That is about 100 megatons of TNT, and would small compare to say the eruption of Thera. What would no doubt happen would be the weather change for the net year or so creating problems fro crops but not to the extent you are claiming, such a disaster would place France under great strain and other nations, but would mean introducing rationing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:06 pm

ok ok...so I didnt get the maths precice...lets try again

some kind of severely damaging natural disaster occurs (bear in mind this is "theoretical" ) how about a 5000m wide asteroid? ok so that VERY rare...but.....or MERS gets out of hand or one or another variety of bird flu....

OR WHATEVER......

the point is ..put in such a situation millions would die NOT from the direct cause but from their inability to perfom the most basic functions for them selves...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down