NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Star Wars movies

2 posters

Go down

New Star Wars movies Empty New Star Wars movies

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 pm

I have to admit -- I'm unabashedly exited about the sequel trilogy starting up in 2015. I don't care that it's now a Disney property (so is Marvel, and I defy anyone to say that the recent Avengers, Spider-Man, Captain America, Hulk and Thor films were "disney-fied") and I think J.J. Abrams will do a good job.

However, I have to admit to being a bit concerned about one thing in particular. I've recently started getting into the Expanded Universe stuff (nearly done with the Thrawn trilogy and about to start "Into the Void") and I'm worried about the prospect that the new trilogy is going to disregard EU material and create a new official timeline and sequence of events.

As anybody into the EU stuff knows, important things happen in what we now consider official SW canon after Return of the Jedi (concealed because of spoilers):

Spoiler:

And recently Lucas said "the Expanded Universe has always been just the Expanded Universe."

On the other hand, I've read that he didn't allow writers to explore the time period around 45 years ABY (After the Battle of Yavin, for non SW geeks). Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford keep hinting they're going to be in the first sequel at least, and their ages put them just about perfect to play 40-45 years older than their characters were in ROTJ.

What do you think?

Last edited by Ben_Reilly on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

New Star Wars movies Empty Re: New Star Wars movies

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:56 pm

I think they will use the EU stuff

No one writes new material in hollywood these days Razz

from what I understand (not actually read but had it told to me) there is basically an instant Trilogy of movies just in the storys following Han's son.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:56 pm

I was trying to think of anything based on original material that's come out recently, in order to refute you*, and all I can think of is the Matrix. Sad, isn't it?

* Which is one of the reasons for my new motto: "Being *that guy* since 1974."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:24 am

even the Matrix is nilly 10 years old now.

I tend to read books, I have given up on Movies actually being good.
Like the saying goes
"Movies Ruining the Book since the 1920's"
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:11 am

I guess Quentin Tarantino still tells his own stories, too. In fact, he's practically the only game in town for that. Nice to see he's still got it with Django Unchained, too -- I thought Inglourious Basterds was a little sub-par.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:05 am

I liked Inglorious, not a fan of kill billl but like most of Tarantino's work

haven't seen Django yet
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:33 am

Well, I love Kill Bill and Django, so it'll be interesting to see what you think of the latter. I thought it was rather similar to Basterds but better done. Then again, its subject matter is much more an integral part of American culture than Basterds was, but at the same time I like to think it has a conflict that everyone can sympathize with.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down