NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Labour To Force Letting Agent Fee Ban Vote

2 posters

Go down

Labour To Force Letting Agent Fee Ban Vote Empty Labour To Force Letting Agent Fee Ban Vote

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Labour To Force Letting Agent Fee Ban Vote
The Government is challenged to back a plan to stop people being charged unfairly by agents when renting homes.

Labour will attempt to push through a ban on letting agents charging fees to tenants when they rent a property.

The party will force a vote in the Commons next week on an amendment it is tabling to the Consumer Rights Bill that would outlaw the charges.

Party leader Ed Miliband told reporters during a campaign visit to Greater Manchester that Labour would be challenging Conservatives and Liberal Democrats to back the measure.

And shadow housing minister Emma Reynolds said Labour was determined to support "generation rent".

"Across the country, private renters are being hit by the cost-of-living crisis and paying unfair fees to letting agents," she said.

"The next Labour government will pass legislation to ban letting agent fees for tenants and to introduce longer-term tenancies with predictable rents.

"David Cameron and George Osborne are totally out of touch with the cost of living crisis facing the nine million people who rent privately, including 1.3 million families with children.

"The Tories promised to improve private renting but they've turned their back on reform.

"If the Tories and Lib Dems refuse to back Labour's proposals they'll have to explain why they won't stand-up for the nine million people who rent."

During exchanges at this week's Prime Minister's Questions, David Cameron suggested he would be be prepared to work with Labour on proposals for longer term tenancy agreements, but said he would not support a move towards old-style rent controls.

http://news.sky.com/story/1257759/labour-to-force-letting-agent-fee-ban-vote

Good for them, they won't get it through because the government benches will vote against it, but it will show people what they stand for, and what the Tories don't stand for, the man in the street.

Back to top Go down

Labour To Force Letting Agent Fee Ban Vote Empty Re: Labour To Force Letting Agent Fee Ban Vote

Post by Fred Mon May 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Yes lets make it even more bureaucratic . Where do you get off with this shit. I am selling a buy to let because it isn't worth the effort.

The rent controls that Labour suggested along with this were described as the second best thing for damaging cities after bombing them. Such is the stupidity of Labour Milliband is anxious to revisit the mistakes of the past.

Fred
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Labour To Force Letting Agent Fee Ban Vote Empty Re: Labour To Force Letting Agent Fee Ban Vote

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Alright said Fred wrote:Yes lets make it even more bureaucratic . Where do you get off with this shit. I am selling a buy to let because it isn't worth the effort.

The rent controls that Labour suggested along with this were described as the second best thing for damaging cities after bombing them. Such is the stupidity of Labour Milliband is anxious to revisit the mistakes of the past.

Are you? Why is it not worth the effort?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 12, 2014 5:28 pm

I may not be remembering corectly, but I'm sure it used to be illegal for agents to charge tenants. I only used agents once when I rented out my house in Tooting; never again! but I'm really sure it was illegal then. That was about 18 years back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Tesstacious wrote:I may not be remembering corectly, but I'm sure it used to be illegal for agents to charge tenants.  I only used agents once when I rented out my house in Tooting; never again!  but I'm really sure it was illegal then. That was about 18 years back.

It was, because of the conflict of interest, being an agent for both the tenant and the landlord. Now they charge both. When we moved the time before last, when it was the whole family, the agent charged us, the tenants, £1,200 in fees! It is a conflict of interest situation and it's not right. They charge both.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Mon May 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Labour is saying it will do is and that to appease voters it will reduce the availability of tenantable properties.

I'm not saying rogue landlords shouldn't be tackled but Labours ani business approach will have very bad consequences. In another thread you talk abou properties left untenanted and owners just letting their asses rise. Guess what Labour will increase that.

Totally dumb. I have a property for sale I could have let in the last 6 monthsI chose to keep it up for sale having refurb it. I was sick of having to refurb because scum tenants left in a shitty state or tried to bail out without giving notice etc etc.

It isn't worth it.

Fred
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Alright said Fred wrote:Yes lets make it even more bureaucratic . Where do you get off with this shit. I am selling a buy to let because it isn't worth the effort.

You've been saying that for quite a while now, must be a pretty shit property not to have sold by now. Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down