NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skills shortage in the Construction industry.

3 posters

Go down

Skills shortage in the Construction industry. Empty Skills shortage in the Construction industry.

Post by Irn Bru Wed May 07, 2014 8:26 am

Businesses reported the greatest difficulties in recruiting site managers and supervisors. Bricklayers, plumbers & HVAC trades and carpenters/joiners also proved hard to come by. However, scaffolding staff were the least difficult to obtain

Immigrants and migrants from Europe can't really be accused of stealing British jobs in this sector then, can they?

From the Federation of Master Builders State of Trade Survey. (Opens .pdf file)

http://www.fmb.org.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=1029445&type=full&servicetype=Attachment

Skills shortage in the Construction industry. Article_img
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Skills shortage in the Construction industry. Empty Re: Skills shortage in the Construction industry.

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 9:26 am

That's what comes of making every kid feel a failure if they don't go to university - they come out with their degrees in meeja studies and end up working in Burger King! Kids should be encouraged to learn a skilled trade - maybe even bring back the old trade schools where the ones who weren't academically inclined could be in with a chance of earning a good future wage.

As for the present shortage - easily explained. All the Poles have made their money and have gone back home, as the building work dried up. That's what happened in Ireland anyway.

Back to top Go down

Skills shortage in the Construction industry. Empty Re: Skills shortage in the Construction industry.

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 1:41 pm

Tesstacious wrote:That's what comes of making every kid feel a failure if they don't go to university - they come out with their degrees in meeja studies and end up working in Burger King!  Kids should be encouraged to learn a skilled trade - maybe even bring back the old trade schools where the ones who weren't academically inclined could be in with a chance of earning a good future wage.

As for the present shortage - easily explained.  All the Poles have made their money and have gone back home, as the building work dried up.  That's what happened in Ireland anyway.

Do not agree with that, there is no evidence to support your view Tess, as we still have hundreds of Thousand of Poles here, which again if they were filling the shortages, shows there was a shortage when if we are to believe your view point when they came, as why have these gaps not been filled with skilled people who would thus still be here unemployed? That makes no logical sense and thus does not explain it in any shape or form or some again absurd view people have to go to University, when many do not even go to University. What would explain it is a disinterest within this field or of learning these particular skills.
So your view would actually support the need of many immigrants before and now to fill these jobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 1:47 pm

That's it Irn, if I migrants are willing to do labouring work where it's needed then why not eh?..

I've always said if any of us were from am Eastern European country(or any in fact) that paid wages so low, one just could not afford to live properly or buy a house , a car etc...of course we would wish to come here for work...especially is that have kids.

Many immigrants are being persecuted because they work here and are accused of stealing jobs...it's normally the jobs others won't do, or the fact that immigrants work hard knowing there will be better rewards than back home...they just often keep their head down, don't complain and just get in with it...

I thought those in the right would like that?!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed May 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Wages have gone down over the last 10 years.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Wages have gone down over the last 10 years.

Incorrect

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed May 07, 2014 2:31 pm

You can't tell me dodge, I work in the industry. I know what goes on.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 2:34 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:You can't tell me dodge, I work in the industry. I know what goes on.

Yes and a pig just fly by my window named Matti.

I would be suprised if you work at all

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed May 07, 2014 2:42 pm

I'll be surprised if you work at all, you spend all hours on here!

Or is this your job?

Promoting the pro EU, pro immigration, pro gay progressive agenda....?

Listen, I'm telling you, I work in the industry and I have friends who do too.

Day rates for all trades are in most cases £10-20 per day less than they were 10 years ago. While cost of living has soared.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:I'll be surprised if you work at all, you spend all hours on here!

Or is this your job?

Day rates for all trades are in most cases £10-20 per day less than they were 10 years ago. While cost of living has soared.

Really I have just seen another pig fly by, was on before 9, now back at half one, when I left you were online and still are thus that pig just fly past again, I can pull up when I post proving you wrong on that, would you like to be embarrassed further, where you are on throughout the day and well into the morning, Mr benefits claimer.

You can say all you like and the vast majority of what you say is always wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 2:54 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:I'll be surprised if you work at all, you spend all hours on here!

Or is this your job?

I wouldn't let the retard wind you up - do what I've done, put it on ignore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Tesstacious wrote:

Or is this your job?

I wouldn't let the retard wind you up - do what I've done, put it on ignore.

More abuse from the the poster who plays the victim card more that catman, normally people who place others on ignore as they do not have the skill to debate others and their points as seen here where your view was utterly shown to be flawed and wrong.
You run away from debate, because you are just not up to the task Tess, if you really believed in what you posted you would debate it, the ignore function is just a copout and sadly you know it

::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed May 07, 2014 3:12 pm

Dodge, I'm self employed, I can come and go as I like.

And I post from my phone most of The time, which stays logged in whether I'm actually here or not.

My post still stands.....

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Dodge, I'm self employed, I can come and go as I like.

And I post from my phone most of The time, which stays logged in whether I'm actually here or not.

My post still stands.....

You mean unemployed, no worries, I do not hold it against you

Is not what I have read or even know from the people I know in the industry

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed May 07, 2014 3:25 pm

I am of to spec savers...... being leaving this thread as I thought it read " Skull shortage ", I kid you not.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed May 07, 2014 3:29 pm

No, self employed dodge, and I work hard for my money.
My mate's a brick layer, he was earning £140 a day ten years ago, at the moment he is on £130.
My other mate is an electrician, he was on £140-150 a day ten years ago. At the moment he is on £130.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:No, self employed dodge, and I work hard for my money.
My mate's a brick layer, he was earning £140 a day ten years ago, at the moment he is on £130.
My other mate is an electrician, he was on £140-150 a day ten years ago. At the moment he is on £130.

Hearsay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed May 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Nothing hear say about it dodge.

I told you, I work in the industry so I know what goes on.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu May 08, 2014 12:18 am

The underlying message is that jobs are not being stolen from British workers by migrants from Europe as claimed in the UKIP poster shown in the OP.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 12:30 am

kinda "deja vue" moment here...

i thought all these eastern europeans were "skilled workers"
clearly not...so are they in truth just scroungers here for te benefits...or here as skilled workers?

one or the other....

they aint office workers
they aint building workers
they cant ALL be doctors
I dont think many are teachers
or dentists
hmmmm..........

so what ...exactly are they ???

the fact we are short of skilled trades men is as tess so rightly pointed out the ridiculous "everyone must get a (plastic/pretend) degree" in anything short of anything useful....
rather than those who are best suited getting a trade training....

I'm a self employed "one man band" carpenter/joiner...I have work walking in through the door unlooked for...i have site managers begging me, via email and my website to come and work for them ....

I wont because they are not able to offer what I want, in terms of either money OR conditions

but thats the nature of the "market place"....

working for myself is far more lucrative

but I feel their pain, and I can understand what the problem is....

brickies
sparkies
chippies
even labourers
roofers
All trades in short supply.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu May 08, 2014 12:40 am

victorisnotamused wrote:kinda "deja vue" moment here...

i thought all these eastern europeans were "skilled workers"  
clearly not...so are they in truth just scroungers here for te benefits...or here as skilled workers?

one or the other....

they aint office workers
they aint building workers
they cant ALL be doctors
I dont think many are teachers
or dentists
hmmmm..........

so what ...exactly are they ???

the fact we are short of skilled trades men is as tess so rightly pointed out the ridiculous "everyone must get a (plastic/pretend) degree" in anything short of anything useful....
rather than those who are best suited getting a trade training....

I'm a self employed "one man band" carpenter/joiner...I have work walking in through the door unlooked for...i have site managers begging me, via email and my website to come and work for them ....

I wont because they are not able to offer what I want, in terms of either money OR conditions

but thats the nature of the "market place"....

working for myself is far more lucrative

but I feel their pain, and I can understand what the problem is....

brickies
sparkies
chippies
even labourers
roofers
All trades in short supply.
Well I keep hearing that migrant workers are stealing British jobs but the shortage of skilled workers in the construction industry doesn't bear that out even though people appear to be claiming that they are - including UKIP. To test the theory that most migrants are only here for the benefits we would have to know how many are actually claiming benefits without working at all. I don't have the figures on that but if you do Vic then please feel free to share them so that we can work through them.

Polish plumbers etc. is usually the rallying call isn't it?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 12:44 am

it is indeed Irn....and thats what leads to a  scratch moment

IF they are all skilled workers......what the hell are they working AT??
and..if they aint
what ARE they here for?

:\\:[: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu May 08, 2014 12:54 am

victorisnotamused wrote:it is indeed Irn....and thats what leads to a  scratch moment

IF they are all skilled workers......what the hell are they working AT??
and..if they aint
what ARE they here for?

:\\:[: 

I haven't heard that all the migrants are skilled workers but I suppose that depends on what you call a skilled worker. I bought an iphone a few months ago and the girl in the shop was Polish. She was first class and efficient. She came here with her husband who she told me had started his own business and had taken on 3 workers.
There's a girl who works up at the local chippy and she's Romanian. Maybe the number of migrants who have come here are overstated as skilled in the sense that they have a trade and maybe the number of migrants who are claiming benefits without working at all is overstated as well.
I wouldn't think that a migrant who has a trade is sitting around doing nothing whilst claiming benefits, surely?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu May 08, 2014 1:05 am

Anyway It's late Vic so cya tomorrow.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down