NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brain Injury Turns Man Into Math Genius

3 posters

Go down

Brain Injury Turns Man Into Math Genius  Empty Brain Injury Turns Man Into Math Genius

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 7:42 am

In 2002, two men savagely attacked Jason Padgett outside a karaoke bar, leaving him with a severe concussion and post-traumatic stress disorder. But the incident also turned Padgett into a mathematical genius who sees the world through the lens of geometry.

Padgett, a furniture salesman from Tacoma, Wash., who had very little interest in academics, developed the ability to visualize complex mathematical objects and physics concepts intuitively. The injury, while devastating, seems to have unlocked part of his brain that makes everything in his world appear to have a mathematical structure.

"I see shapes and angles everywhere in real life" — from the geometry of a rainbow, to the fractals in water spiraling down a drain, Padgett told Live Science. "It's just really beautiful."

http://news.discovery.com/human/life/brain-injury-turns-man-into-math-genius-140506.htm

Back to top Go down

Brain Injury Turns Man Into Math Genius  Empty Re: Brain Injury Turns Man Into Math Genius

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 07, 2014 7:52 am

Simply amazing, so many people who suffer brain injuries end up giving so much insight into how the brain really works.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/croatia/7583971/Croatian-teenager-wakes-from-coma-speaking-fluent-German.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Brain Injury Turns Man Into Math Genius  Empty Re: Brain Injury Turns Man Into Math Genius

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 7:56 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Simply amazing, so many people who suffer brain injuries end up giving so much insight into how the brain really works.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/croatia/7583971/Croatian-teenager-wakes-from-coma-speaking-fluent-German.html

It does baffle me that in fact we have not really evolved to utilize all of our brain power and why it is only some  people born with or have such accidents that create such Geniuses. Something that really has always puzzled me and why the vast majority are unable able to tune into many areas of the brain.
Is it something in the future scientists will be able to switch on areas of the brain (or off as the case may be) to create further intelligence?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 8:17 am

Reincarnation. Obvious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Tesstacious wrote:Reincarnation.  Obvious.

I do not think that explains any of it in regards to the workings of active parts of the brain

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri May 09, 2014 11:40 am

Didge wrote:In 2002, two men savagely attacked Jason Padgett outside a karaoke bar, leaving him with a severe concussion and post-traumatic stress disorder. But the incident also turned Padgett into a mathematical genius who sees the world through the lens of geometry.

Padgett, a furniture salesman from Tacoma, Wash., who had very little interest in academics, developed the ability to visualize complex mathematical objects and physics concepts intuitively. The injury, while devastating, seems to have unlocked part of his brain that makes everything in his world appear to have a mathematical structure.

"I see shapes and angles everywhere in real life" — from the geometry of a rainbow, to the fractals in water spiraling down a drain, Padgett told Live Science. "It's just really beautiful."

http://news.discovery.com/human/life/brain-injury-turns-man-into-math-genius-140506.htm

Oh, for a hammer!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded fox Fri May 09, 2014 12:03 pm

There was that thing where people were drilling holes into their head. I wonder if it's the same sort of trauma
jaded fox
jaded fox
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down