NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We must not turn a blind eye to the election of Narendra Modi, India’s Milosevic

Go down

We must not turn a blind eye to the election of Narendra Modi, India’s Milosevic Empty We must not turn a blind eye to the election of Narendra Modi, India’s Milosevic

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 7:24 am

When Jörg Haider, the leader of Austria’s far-right Freedom Party, joined the country’s coalition government in 2000, the res­ponse from the rest of the European Union was swift. Every other member state agreed to introduce diplomatic sanctions against Austria. Our then foreign secretary, Robin Cook, expressed “deep distaste” at Haider’s rise to power.

Fourteen years later, will Foreign Secretary William Hague express “deep distaste” if, as the polls suggest, Narendra Modi of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is declared prime minister of nuclear-armed India after 12 May? Will the EU have the guts to downgrade diplomatic ties with the world’s biggest democracy?

Of course not, even though Modi makes the late Haider look like a muesli-eating, sandal-wearing liberal. If we’re going to make analogies with European leaders, Modi, the chief minister of Gujarat since 2001, is more in the mould of Milosevic than Haider.

Modi, who is 63, is a card-carrying member of the far-right, Hindu nationalist Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS); he started volunteering for the group at the age of eight and became a full-time pracharak (pro­pagandist) for it at the age of 20. “The RSS is a secretive, militaristic, masculine cult; a distinct Indian form of fascism that was directly inspired by Italian Fascist youth movements,” Professor Chetan Bhatt, director of the Centre for the Study of Human Rights at the LSE, tells me. “Its founders greatly admired Hitler and Mussolini.” In Modi’s Gujarat, Adolf Hitler is glorified in secondary-school textbooks.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2014/04/we-must-not-turn-blind-eye-election-india-s-milosevic-and-what-it-means-minorities

This is where my money is on a war starting that could pull in the rest of the world if he is elected, not that I want one to happen, but here to me is the biggest fear it will kick off between India and Pakistan.

I hope I am wrong

Back to top Go down