NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands

+5
Ben Reilly
veya_victaous
Stephenmarra
Fred Moletrousers
David
9 posters

Go down

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Empty Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 6:28 pm

BBC News wrote:Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands _74613784_74610079
The savoury biscuits must be thrown underarm and one of the competitor's feet must remain on the ground

More than 5,000 people have attended a "knob throwing" competition in Dorset.

The Dorset Knob Throwing and Food Festival event in Cattistock involves participants tossing the locally made, spherical biscuit as far as they can.

The longest throw was by Dave Morrison, who tossed his knob 21.8m (71ft).

Organiser Nigel Collins thought up the idea after seeing a Yorkshire pudding throwing contest at a Yorkshire food festival.

'Very rural'

He said: "We used to throw knobs occasionally as a child because they're the size of a golf ball, so the whole thing gelled from there.

"Most of the contest is taken in good heart and there is no food wastage. Everything that is left over - even the broken bits on the ground - goes to feed local chickens.

"We needed funding for the playing fields, village hall, cricket club, and football club. We're a very small village, very rural, and we needed a unique event to get people here."

The savoury biscuits, made by the Moores family since 1880, have to be thrown underarm and one of the competitor's feet must remain on the ground during the toss in order for it to count. The best of three is measured and recorded.

The winner receives their winning biscuit and a plaque, while their name is added to a board in the village hall.

The record is still held by Dave Phillips with a throw of 29.4m (96ft) in 2012.

Other events included a knob eating contest, knob darts, knob weighing, and knob painting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-27259589

Bet that wasn't what you had in mind Lovely David Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Elepha19 lol! 

Do you guys have such events in the US or Australia or is it just us British eccentrics???  geek

Back to top Go down

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Empty Re: Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands

Post by David Sun May 04, 2014 6:30 pm

HAHAHAHAHA you know me so well FTL Knob weighing!!! HILARIOUS  lol! lol! 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Empty Re: Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands

Post by Guest Sun May 04, 2014 6:40 pm

David wrote:HAHAHAHAHA you know me so well FTL  Knob weighing!!! HILARIOUS  lol! lol! 

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Ashame73 Bad Feelthelove  ::D:: xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sun May 04, 2014 10:13 pm

feelthelove wrote:
BBC News wrote:Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands _74613784_74610079
The savoury biscuits must be thrown underarm and one of the competitor's feet must remain on the ground

More than 5,000 people have attended a "knob throwing" competition in Dorset.

The Dorset Knob Throwing and Food Festival event in Cattistock involves participants tossing the locally made, spherical biscuit as far as they can.

The longest throw was by Dave Morrison, who tossed his knob 21.8m (71ft).

Organiser Nigel Collins thought up the idea after seeing a Yorkshire pudding throwing contest at a Yorkshire food festival.

'Very rural'

He said: "We used to throw knobs occasionally as a child because they're the size of a golf ball, so the whole thing gelled from there.

"Most of the contest is taken in good heart and there is no food wastage. Everything that is left over - even the broken bits on the ground - goes to feed local chickens.

"We needed funding for the playing fields, village hall, cricket club, and football club. We're a very small village, very rural, and we needed a unique event to get people here."

The savoury biscuits, made by the Moores family since 1880, have to be thrown underarm and one of the competitor's feet must remain on the ground during the toss in order for it to count. The best of three is measured and recorded.

The winner receives their winning biscuit and a plaque, while their name is added to a board in the village hall.

The record is still held by Dave Phillips with a throw of 29.4m (96ft) in 2012.

Other events included a knob eating contest, knob darts, knob weighing, and knob painting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-27259589

Bet that wasn't what you had in mind Lovely David Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Elepha19 lol! 

Do you guys have such events in the US or Australia or is it just us British eccentrics???  geek

I bet they don't enjoy such pursuits as dwile flonking or marrow-bashing!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Sun May 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Ahhh  the joys of being British !  I love you
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sun May 04, 2014 10:57 pm

Stephenmarra wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

There's nowt quite like being hit full in the face by a dishcloth soaked in stale ale in accordance with the laws and practice of the noble and ancient sport of dwile flonking!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Sun May 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Stephenmarra wrote:

There's nowt quite like being hit full in the face by a dishcloth soaked in stale ale in accordance with the laws and practice of the noble and ancient sport of dwile flonking!
Tis  true, but the fun in watching Morris Dancers this afternoon (4 PM) on their 8th pub I believe, after a pint in each was a sight to behold.  Shocked
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon May 05, 2014 1:25 am

@FTL
well there is the Alice Spring's Yacht race, the Todd regatta the only Boat race that gets cancelled if there is water  Laughing 

and the ultimate Aussie Boat race
the Beer Can Regatta

And Cockroach Racing and Cane toad racing (basically if you can race it and bet on on it we do it)

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 05, 2014 9:09 pm

@ Veya Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Cracki47I see your yacht race and raise you Bog Snorkelling Championships In Wales  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 06, 2014 3:49 am

We race armadillos in Texas!

Don't know of any knob throwing contests, though Smile Wonder how far I could toss Veya?

::d&f:: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue May 06, 2014 4:06 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:We race armadillos in Texas!

Don't know of any knob throwing contests, though :)Wonder how far I could toss Veya?

::d&f:: 

I weigh about 100kg (220 ish pounds?) so I'm guessing not very far Wink Cool 

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 06, 2014 4:23 am

OK, maybe with a catapult? Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue May 06, 2014 4:27 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:OK, maybe with a catapult? Smile

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Airkick2

looks like fun
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 6:48 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:OK, maybe with a catapult? Smile

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Airkick2

looks like fun

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Popcor12 What time is the show starting???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 06, 2014 6:56 pm

So that's what the English do all day?, toss a few knobs! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Joy Division wrote:So that's what the English do all day?, toss a few knobs! Twisted Evil

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Secret28 Don't tell everyone JD!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu May 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Check out the Summer Redneck Games - more hilarious than the Olympics

Most of our strange stuff revolves around eating vast amounts of one particular food group - hotdogs, oysters, crawfish but check out The Testical Festival in Montana - boys cross yer legs.

Went one year to the cheeses rolling in Gloucester - I love cheese but no way.

I have triedr to explain Morris Dancing and the Maypole to mates and colleagues - their facial expressions are like WTF???
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Cass wrote:Check out the Summer Redneck Games - more hilarious than the Olympics

Most of our strange stuff revolves around eating vast amounts of one particular food group - hotdogs, oysters, crawfish but check out The Testical Festival in Montana - boys cross yer legs.

I have triedr to explain Morris Dancing and the Maypole to mates and colleagues - their facial expressions are like WTF???

Had a little google of the Testy Festy
 Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu May 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Stephenmarra wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Indeed Stephen and Welly Wanging is right up there with the best

http://www.upperthong.org.uk/?page_id=404

Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 10:33 pm

And the current title holder consolidated his win by throwing didge 4 feet 6 inches......
he comented afterwards that that was the biggest knob he'd ever thrown  Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu May 08, 2014 10:36 pm

victorisnotamused wrote: And the current title holder consolidated his win by throwing didge 4 feet 6 inches......
he comented afterwards that that was the biggest knob he'd ever thrown    Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Some people like to debate; some people like to blow off steam; some people are just argumentative... but some people; they just the sport eh Vic  Wink Laughing 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 11:04 pm

Eilzel wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote: And the current title holder consolidated his win by throwing didge 4 feet 6 inches......
he comented afterwards that that was the biggest knob he'd ever thrown    Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Some people like to debate; some people like to blow off steam; some people are just argumentative... but some people; they just the sport eh Vic  Wink Laughing 

:::grouch:: :::grouch:: :::grouch:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri May 09, 2014 4:07 am

Nems wrote:
Cass wrote:Check out the Summer Redneck Games - more hilarious than the Olympics

Shocked 

I can safely say that we will NOT be attending that one.

FYI people if anyone ever offers you some rocky mountain oysters politely say no and run like hell - code word for bull testicals.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Fri May 09, 2014 7:23 am

Irn Bru wrote:
Stephenmarra wrote:

Indeed Stephen and Welly Wanging is right up there with the best

http://www.upperthong.org.uk/?page_id=404

Laughing
 lol!  lol!  lol! 

Gurning, dating back to 1270ish takes some beating for being  weird.    Shocked 
Competitions are held at  the  Egremont Crab Fair every year and one local handsome chap  Tommy Mattinson
has been World Champion 15 times.  pig  ::smthg:: 

World Gurning Championship 2011   

In pictures: World Gurning Championship

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3670504.stm
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 09, 2014 9:18 am

Cass wrote:
Nems wrote:

Shocked 

FYI people if anyone ever offers you some rocky mountain oysters politely say no and run like hell - code word for bull testicals.

Eeeeuuuww, I bet they is well chewy  ::zomb:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri May 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Nems wrote:
Cass wrote:

You go first and try them....I insist ....its what friends do....I will await your report with a bucket on standby!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 pm

Cass wrote:
Nems wrote:

You go first and try them....I insist ....its what friends do....I will await your report with a bucket on standby!
Is this the balls throwing contest  Shocked Shocked 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri May 09, 2014 10:19 pm

David wrote:
Cass wrote:

No this is the knob contest Mr D; but you could start with the balls and work your way to the knob  Smile 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri May 09, 2014 10:22 pm

Eilzel wrote:
David wrote:

No this is the knob contest Mr D; but you could start with the balls and work your way to the knob  Smile 
I was being subtle Mr E lol Rolling Eyes 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri May 09, 2014 10:25 pm

Scotland have won the world Elephant polo playing world cup 3 years in a row.

Not many countries can lay claim to that Laughing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4073353.stm
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri May 09, 2014 10:27 pm

David wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

What are you suggesting Mr D  Wink 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri May 09, 2014 11:28 pm

Eilzel wrote:
David wrote:

What are you suggesting Mr D  Wink 
Moi??? lol! 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 1:03 am

TUT!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 10, 2014 1:03 am

David wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Oh you guys.....honestly!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 10, 2014 1:04 am

victorisnotamused wrote:TUT!

KING!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat May 10, 2014 7:00 am

Yeah, I know, I'm sorry, I blame FtL, she set the whole thing off  Rolling Eyes lol! 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat May 10, 2014 10:01 am

Well at least you don't blame your ........... TOOLS  lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by David on Sat May 10, 2014 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 10:17 pm

except for the fact you couldnt throw your self overboard.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Eilzel wrote:Yeah, I know, I'm sorry, I blame FtL, she set the whole thing off  Rolling Eyes lol! 

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Pfft235 It's not my fault you boys have one track minds Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Angel_98x

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed May 14, 2014 6:51 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Yeah, I know, I'm sorry, I blame FtL, she set the whole thing off  Rolling Eyes lol! 

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Pfft235 It's not my fault you boys have one track minds Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Angel_98x

hahaha I haven't got a one track mind  Shocked lol!  I blame it on Mr E  lol! 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 6:54 pm

David wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

hahaha I haven't got a one track mind  Shocked lol!   I blame it on Mr E  lol! 

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Liar11 I believe you Lovely David that Les, honestly Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Wink94x

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed May 14, 2014 7:08 pm

Guys check out the world beard and mustache competition in Alaska! What a hoot!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 7:24 pm

feelthelove wrote:

Didnt take you long to find your way back to the Knob thread.  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Nems wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Didnt take you long to find your way back to the Knob thread.  Razz 

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Bag_ov20

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed May 14, 2014 7:31 pm

feelthelove wrote:
David wrote:

hahaha I haven't got a one track mind  Shocked lol!   I blame it on Mr E  lol! 

Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Liar11 I believe you Lovely David that Les, honestly Dorset knob throwing contest attracts thousands Wink94x
HAHAHAHAHA xx
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down