NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas family awarded nearly $3 million for illness caused by natural gas fracking

3 posters

Go down

Texas family awarded nearly $3 million for illness caused by natural gas fracking Empty Texas family awarded nearly $3 million for illness caused by natural gas fracking

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:30 am

A family claiming they were sickened because of pollution from hydraulic fracturing operations near their home should be awarded $2.95 million for their troubles, a jury ruled on Tuesday.

The Parr family had sued Aruba Petroleum Inc. in 2011, alleging the oil and gas producer exposed them to hazardous gases, chemicals and industrial waste that seeped into the air from 22 wells drilled near the family’s 40-acre plot of land, which sits atop the Barnett Shale.

The jury returned a 5-1 verdict saying Aruba “intentionally created a private nuisance,” awarding $275,000 for losses on property value, $2 million for past physical pain and suffering, $250,000 for future physical pain and suffering, and $400,000 for mental anguish.

“They’re vindicated,” David Matthews, one of the Parr’s attorneys, wrote on his firm’s blog Tuesday. “I’m really proud of the family that went through what they went through … It’s not easy to go through a lawsuit and have your personal life uncovered and exposed to the extent this family went through.”

A statement provided to ThinkProgress from Aruba on Wednesday lamented the jury’s verdict, but did not indicate whether it would appeal.

“The facts of the case and the law as applied to those facts do not support the verdict,” the statement read. “Aruba is an experienced oil and gas operator that is in compliance within the air quality limits set by the Texas Railroad Commission and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.”

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/04/23/3429788/fracking-verdict/

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/texas-fracking-trial-3-million-verdict
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Texas family awarded nearly $3 million for illness caused by natural gas fracking Empty Re: Texas family awarded nearly $3 million for illness caused by natural gas fracking

Post by Cass Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:11 am

Good for them. Here's hoping more follow suit. No way in hell will I ever live near a fracking site. Just like living near old mining towns...gonna disappear into the earth or a rather nasty explosion will occur. Take your pick.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Texas family awarded nearly $3 million for illness caused by natural gas fracking Empty Re: Texas family awarded nearly $3 million for illness caused by natural gas fracking

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:55 am

And just think, Dear Dave has given them carte blanche to frack under virtually every house in the UK!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 pm

Good afternoon Folks.

On the face of it,fracking seems like a good idea and good alternative to the other fuel scources & I've read many articles both for & against it.

But I just help but listen to those numerous members of the public up north who made 999 calls when small Earth tremors occured whilst fracking tests were in progress in their area.

Of course the authorities denied any link between the two but the whiff of lies filled the air.

And I hope they don't frack in Cornwall because the county is riddled with honeycombs of abandoned tin mine shafts & tunnels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Shady wrote:Good afternoon Folks.

On the face of it,fracking seems like a good idea and good alternative to the other fuel scources & I've read many articles both for & against it.

But I just help but listen to those numerous members of the public up north who made 999 calls when small Earth tremors occured whilst fracking tests were in progress in their area.

Of course the authorities denied any link between the two but the whiff of lies filled the air.

And I hope they don't frack in Cornwall because the county is riddled with honeycombs of abandoned tin mine shafts & tunnels.

My point exactly shady - same here where I live....well a few towns over.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Says a lot when one of its biggest advocates in the U.S. suddenly doesn't want it in his own neighborhood  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

Exxon Mobil's CEO has joined a lawsuit to stop construction of a water tower near his home that would be used to in the fracking process to drill for oil.

While fracking -- hydraulic fracturing of rock to release pockets of oil -- has raised complaints from environmentalists around the country, Chairman and CEO Rex Tillerson's opposition to a project in his own neighborhood is interesting, given how deeply Exxon Mobil is involved in the process.

Tillerson appeared at a Town Council meeting in Bartonville, Tex., the wealthy enclave near his Dallas home last November to join in the protest over the water tower, The Wall Street Journal reports.

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/02/exxon-mobil-ceo-rex-tillerson-local
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:34 pm

Sassy wrote:And just think, Dear Dave has given them carte blanche to frack under virtually every house in the UK!!!!

But Sassy if Labour win the General Election,you don't seriously think that Milliband will reverse the decision do you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Says a lot when one of its biggest advocates in the U.S. suddenly doesn't want it in his own neighborhood  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 
Exxon Mobil's CEO has joined a lawsuit to stop construction of a water tower near his home that would be used to in the fracking process to drill for oil.
While fracking -- hydraulic fracturing of rock to release pockets of oil -- has raised complaints from environmentalists around the country, Chairman and CEO Rex Tillerson's opposition to a project in his own neighborhood is interesting, given how deeply Exxon Mobil is involved in the process.
Tillerson appeared at a Town Council meeting in Bartonville, Tex., the wealthy enclave near his Dallas home last November to join in the protest over the water tower, The Wall Street Journal reports.

NIMBYISM rears its ugly head.....again

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/02/exxon-mobil-ceo-rex-tillerson-local
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Oops ok sorry ben.....stoopid kindle
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down