NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Criminalising drugs is not helping': Farage calls for Britain to follow Portugal where even HEROIN is not illegal

5 posters

Go down

'Criminalising drugs is not helping': Farage calls for Britain to follow Portugal where even HEROIN is not illegal Empty 'Criminalising drugs is not helping': Farage calls for Britain to follow Portugal where even HEROIN is not illegal

Post by Eilzel Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:18 pm

Nigel Farage believes the war on drugs has been lost and Britain should look at legalising them - including heroin.
The UK Independence Party leader made the highly controversial claim that Portugal, where drugs were decriminalised 12 years ago, may have a ‘more enlightened’ approach.

Mr Farage admitted these were his personal views, and not Ukip policy, saying: ‘This is one subject where I differ strongly from my party’.

Mr Farage expressed his support, earlier this year, for Nick Clegg who said following a visit to Columbia that Britain needed to look at alternatives to prohibition.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597099/Criminalising-drugs-not-helping-Farage-calls-Britain-follow-Portugal-HEROIN-not-illegal.html#ixzz2xwW9ufwH
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Interesting thought from Mr Farage here. I too feel that criminalizing certain drugs is ineffective and in any case overkill, especially where cannabis is concerned. However Heroin? Seriously don't think legalizing that would be a good idea at all.

He does point out this is NOT UKIP policy and his party doesn't support this idea- nor I imagine would most of UKIPs voter base  Twisted Evil 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

'Criminalising drugs is not helping': Farage calls for Britain to follow Portugal where even HEROIN is not illegal Empty Re: 'Criminalising drugs is not helping': Farage calls for Britain to follow Portugal where even HEROIN is not illegal

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:28 pm

Be interesting to see some crime stats and such from Portugal, and what effect their decriminalising has had.

Back to top Go down

'Criminalising drugs is not helping': Farage calls for Britain to follow Portugal where even HEROIN is not illegal Empty Re: 'Criminalising drugs is not helping': Farage calls for Britain to follow Portugal where even HEROIN is not illegal

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 pm

I have always looked at this (and other subjects similarly controversial) from a seemingly different perspective.

I do not ask whether doing something is right or wrong.

I ask if it is actually possible to stop it.

Knowing how flawed yet inventive the human animal is do you think it possible to prevent use of any substance if an individual really wants to use it?

If the answer is no then the next question is what is the best way to minimize harm - attempting the impossible of trying to stop it, or regulating the hell out of it and reducing it to the smallest possible minimum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:14 pm

i'm not convinced legalising drugs will do any good...

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:30 pm

sphinx wrote:I have always looked at this (and other subjects similarly controversial) from a seemingly different perspective.

Knowing how flawed yet inventive the human animal is do you think it possible to prevent use of any substance if an individual really wants to use it?

If the answer is no then the next question is what is the best way to minimize harm - attempting the impossible of trying to stop it,  or regulating the hell out of it and reducing it to the smallest possible minimum.

I'm on the same wavelength there sphinx; the problem is with heroin is that with drugs that are so bad, what else could be done?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:33 pm

Well if it was legalised Les, addicts would not be getting it from criminals, criminals would not be making the money and having the hold over the addicts, and if addicts were registered they could be given help.

Just one way of looking at it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:35 pm

Sassy wrote:Well if it was legalised Les, addicts would not be getting it from criminals, criminals would not be making the money and having the hold over the addicts, and if addicts were registered they could be given help.

I do agree even for drugs like cocaine- perhaps it is the 'hype' of heroin that makes me reluctant to go that far- I'm not really well up to be honest but I agree with cannabis and other small time 'social' drugs that taking the business away from criminals is vital.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Sassy wrote:Well if it was legalised Les, addicts would not be getting it from criminals, criminals would not be making the money and having the hold over the addicts, and if addicts were registered they could be given help.

I do agree even for drugs like cocaine- perhaps it is the 'hype' of heroin that makes me reluctant to go that far- I'm not really well up to be honest but I agree with cannabis and other small time 'social' drugs that taking the business away from criminals is vital.

Really complicated situation, and I don't think anyone has the answer, because maybe there isn't one. But getting it out of the hands of criminals seems a good first step.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Eilzel wrote:
sphinx wrote:I have always looked at this (and other subjects similarly controversial) from a seemingly different perspective.

If the answer is no then the next question is what is the best way to minimize harm - attempting the impossible of trying to stop it,  or regulating the hell out of it and reducing it to the smallest possible minimum.

I'm on the same wavelength there sphinx; the problem is with heroin is that with drugs that are so bad, what else could be done?

The first question to that is why is it so bad?

I mean before it was made illegal doctors used to prescribe it - yes they knew their patients were addicted but the quality of substance was standardized and many patients were able to be as functional in society as todays smokers and most drinkers are.

I myself have known a long term heroin user that was able to function fine until their supply ran dry.  They could work and afford to pay their dealer and the stuff was consistent (for a while) but when that supply ceased they were driven to find more - which mean poor work, more contact with a wider range of criminals etc and stuff that was variable in quality.  If they had been able to get it from a doctor they would have worked as a useful member of society until retirement or early death - their problems were not caused by the drug but by the drug being illegal.

I know some would sink fast if it was legal but from what I can see it is no different from alcohol - some can happily use alcohol all their lives without any iota of harm to wider society while others become total wrecks.  With heroin illegal there is no possibility of functioning users.

Last edited by sphinx on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:58 pm

I think the biggest worry is, how many people who would never have tried drugs while they were illegal, will when they are, it could cause serious problems, if the drugs go expensive when legal, they will still sell illegally at cheaper prices and nothing changes...there will still be some who cannot afford to buy them so they stay criminals,, nothing changes...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Godisgoodallthetime wrote:I think the biggest worry is, how many people who would never have tried drugs while they were illegal, will when they are, it could cause serious problems, if the drugs go expensive when legal, they will still sell illegally at cheaper prices and nothing changes...there will still be some who cannot afford to buy them so they stay criminals,, nothing changes...

So what if they try them? Do you believe that its always a case of one try and instant addiction?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm

sphinx wrote:
Godisgoodallthetime wrote:I think the biggest worry is, how many people who would never have tried drugs while they were illegal, will when they are, it could cause serious problems, if the drugs go expensive when legal, they will still sell illegally at cheaper prices and nothing changes...there will still be some who cannot afford to buy them so they stay criminals,, nothing changes...

So what if they try them?  Do you believe that its always a case of one try and instant addiction?  

with some quite possibly, with others they might not realise the effects of what they are trying and do something stupid or damn right dangerous...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Godisgoodallthetime wrote:
sphinx wrote:

So what if they try them?  Do you believe that its always a case of one try and instant addiction?  

with some quite possibly, with others they might not realise the effects of what they are trying and do something stupid or damn right dangerous...

We manage tobacco and alcohol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:14 pm

sphinx wrote:
Godisgoodallthetime wrote:

We manage tobacco and alcohol.

tobacco doesn't make people hallucinate, well not normal tobacco anyway..lol..

drink has been around long enough for people to gauge its effects and it tends to build up over a time, giving an indication you are drunk..

an unknown drug might hit someone totally by surprise..

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:14 pm

I agree with Nigel.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Nigel Farage believes the war on drugs has been lost and Britain should look at legalising them - including heroin.
The UK Independence Party leader made the highly controversial claim that Portugal, where drugs were decriminalised 12 years ago, may have a ‘more enlightened’ approach.

Mr Farage admitted these were his personal views, and not Ukip policy, saying: ‘This is one subject where I differ strongly from my party’.

Mr Farage expressed his support, earlier this year, for Nick Clegg who said following a visit to Columbia that Britain needed to look at alternatives to prohibition.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597099/Criminalising-drugs-not-helping-Farage-calls-Britain-follow-Portugal-HEROIN-not-illegal.html#ixzz2xwW9ufwH
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Interesting thought from Mr Farage here. I too feel that criminalizing certain drugs is ineffective and in any case overkill, especially where cannabis is concerned. However Heroin? Seriously don't think legalizing that would be a good idea at all.

He does point out this is NOT UKIP policy and his party doesn't support this idea- nor I imagine would most of UKIPs voter base  Twisted Evil 

I have long thought its time we give addicts prescription heroin etc. Drugs supplied by criminals would still be illegal it simply wouldn't be worth the risk in this country if we did.

It's like prohibition in America the only people who benefitted were those in organised crime when it was introduced. It would also have many spin offs. Diuggies wouldn't have to burgle to pay for their drugs reducing crime etc etc.

Why the f--k the politicians don't get it I just don't know.

Fred
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:47 pm

I would say you don't even have to go that far, if you legalised more softer drugs Like pot and mdma that would significantly reduce the total value of the drug black market thus reducing the economic drivers that allow organised criminals to get so powerful, making it harder in turn for them to import the remaining illegal drugs.

Like Fred said we have plenty of evidence from prohibition in the USA to know this is what happens.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:20 pm

The real problem drug here is arguably heroin, not just to the user directly, and this being the damage done by poor quality, but also the knock on effect on the wider society as they often resort to crime to fund their habit, robbing stealing shoplifting burglary.

The average £100 a day user will have to steal £300 worth of stuff to sell on to get their £100.

They also then cost more when ending up in prison.

Pure medicinal heroin can be used for 50 years with on physical damage and can be provided for a couple of £ a day.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down