NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

facebook/off

+3
Andy
Ben Reilly
Caution
7 posters

Go down

facebook/off Empty facebook/off

Post by Caution Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:26 am

Last Thursday I decided to stop visiting facebook, and since then I've been trying to figure out if it's really worth going back.

What's the point of this perpetual haze of connectedness worth? I'm never truly out of contact with anyone I ever care to talk to again, which I suppose is a good thing, but is it, really? I think it's that familiarity that's starting to poke holes in my well-being.

There has been some good to come of it. A distant relative in Poland invited me over to stay with his family for a week, an absolutely unforgettable experience. I've gotten back into contact with a lot of friends I was sure I'd never hear from again, including a friend I last saw in the fourth grade in 1983 before moving out of the state. We wrote letters to each other but it didn't last very long.

Other than that, most of the people I keep in my feed are some special interest blogs and a small number of friends and family. No apps, no ads, no public content. I keep it basic. But still, it seems like at this point it's sort of run its course with me. I've located most anyone I would ever care to hear from again, many of which have come and gone from my friends list.

Am I for the better for setting aside the time I do in order to be on there anymore? I don't know. So far, I've thought about logging in and checking things out, but haven't. I'm thinking that the longer I go, the more perspective I'll have on the idea of giving it up for good and finding a way to stay in touch with everyone another way.

Will we eventually come to understand the impact of facebook on the fabric of society? Perhaps I'm becoming pessimistic about it all but I'm just not seeing the positives anymore. I actually started writing this post yesterday but ran out of time, and since then this story came out.
Caution
Caution
the Ghost who mods, Lord of the Shadow realms, *may contain peanuts

Back to top Go down

facebook/off Empty Re: facebook/off

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:37 am

I hate Facebook. While I agree that it isn't entirely without merit, every time I go on now, I feel like I'm at Walmart -- surrounded by crassness, and essentially ashamed to be there. It's soul-crushing and brings out the worst in people.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:13 am

Don't mind it.
Recently refriened a colleague I first met on my first day at work 40 years ago. We lost touch when he moved 300 miles away.
A mate of his married my second ever girlfriend (we were 13) and we recently got in touch again.
She cheekily asked me whether I had stopped growing on the trouser department!
Clearly I left a big impression when we made out on her parents sofa all those years ago.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:22 am

i just mostly have HS & GRADE SCHOOL people as my friends that i knew with the exception of my family, fiancee and her family, and wrestlers i know, even my cat is on there
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:27 am

I have an account - I have a few old friends on there, never make comments, ever. Never "tag" anybody and don't have pics on there.

You see couples wishing each other happy anniversary, happy valentine's day - it isn't for their other half, it's so other people see it and that's why they usually go way over the top when they are doing it - pathetic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:33 am

I myself have never bothered with the Facebooks, it's like some use it to try to be famous or something,ken.

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:38 am

Joy Division wrote:I myself have never bothered with the Facebooks, it's like some use it to try to be famous or something,ken.

I AM FAMOUS!
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:17 am

groomsy wrote:
Joy Division wrote:I myself have never bothered with the Facebooks, it's like some use it to try to be famous or something,ken.

I AM FAMOUS!

Too right mate and well done  Laughing 

But some do use it in that manner Groomsy, one lass we know up here posts some ridiculous pictures of herself...you know the ' look at me' type  Rolling Eyes 

...not that everyone does though, it's great for families to keep in touch,,,stuff like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:16 am

I like it i can chat with family in Malta and Australia Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:16 am

VOD(original) wrote:I like it i can chat with family in Malta and Australia Smile

I suppose that is the good thing about it.

Long lost friends or far-flung ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:56 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
VOD(original) wrote:I like it i can chat with family in Malta and Australia Smile

I suppose that is the good thing about it.

Long lost friends or far-flung ones.

yes and cheap  ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:57 pm

as someone who has family and friends all over the world and living in different time zones it has been a good thing - i can share pictures with those i want to, exchange news or views, recipes or just have a quick chat - bit like here but without the pictures mostly.

yeah sometimes I see stuff that i don't like but you know what? Ya can scroll straight past it just like turning to another tv channel.

Plus I can stalk the senior and junior juniors to make sure they aren't up to anything naughty but then the little blighters go off and use other social media sites - its all about the snapchat these days LOL
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Joy Division wrote:
groomsy wrote:

I AM FAMOUS!

But some do use it in that manner Groomsy, one lass we know up here posts some ridiculous pictures of herself...you know the ' look at me' type  Rolling Eyes 

...not that everyone does though, it's great for families to keep in touch,,,stuff like that.

i know what ya mean, i have tons of pictures but im not one of them types that photoshops my own to make me look better or posts myself at the gym, my food for the day etc etc.
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Cass wrote:as someone who has family and friends all over the world and living in different time zones it has been a good thing - i can share pictures with those i want to, exchange news or views, recipes or just have a quick chat - bit like here but without the pictures mostly.

yeah sometimes I see stuff that i don't like but you know what? Ya can scroll straight past it just like turning to another tv channel.

Plus I can stalk the senior and junior juniors to make sure they aren't up to anything naughty but then the little blighters go off and use other social media sites - its all about the snapchat these days LOL

I might find you and stalk you  Suspect 

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Facebook is only as good as the people who post on it.

I hate the picture posts that say, for example; "Daughters are a friend for life. Like and share if you love your daughter"

WTF????? Of course I love my fucking daughter!!!

I like to see pics of friends kids dressed up at Halloween etc and stuff like that but I don't need to know what people had for lunch, and dont get me started on the people who post up pictures of their brown, soggy Sunday dinners!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Funny story -- my brother was recently looking at the Facebook account of a young woman who's really excited about her upcoming spring break vacation, where she's going to travel hundreds of miles away to party it up, talking about how much she's going to drink, etc.

The funny thing is that she's on probation and the terms of her probation state that she's not allowed to drink, much less leave the county.

The even funnier thing is that my brother is her probation officer.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Funny story -- my brother was recently looking at the Facebook account of a young woman who's really excited about her upcoming spring break vacation, where she's going to travel hundreds of miles away to party it up, talking about how much she's going to drink, etc.

The funny thing is that she's on probation and the terms of her probation state that she's not allowed to drink, much less leave the county.

Hahahahahahaha hilarious!!! Stupid cow.
My dear father always said to me "Be careful what you write down"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:27 pm

groomsy wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

i know what ya mean, i have tons of pictures but im not one of them types that photoshops my own to make me look better or posts myself at the gym, my food for the day etc etc.

I getcha mate, tons of everyday life , kids and so on, that's the norm...but some post more pics of the solves than of their OH and kids etc!!

Definitely great for keeping in touch with other family too though

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:52 pm

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:as someone who has family and friends all over the world and living in different time zones it has been a good thing - i can share pictures with those i want to, exchange news or views, recipes or just have a quick chat - bit like here but without the pictures mostly.

I might find you and stalk you  Suspect 

ohhhhh please do....i have never had a stalker.....no wait...i did on the original sky boards....i stuck spitfire, flying v and clanman onto him and he backed off LOL.

go on I dare you  Twisted Evil 
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:55 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Funny story -- my brother was recently looking at the Facebook account of a young woman who's really excited about her upcoming spring break vacation, where she's going to travel hundreds of miles away to party it up, talking about how much she's going to drink, etc.

It's not the first time he's busted someone via social media, either! There was another guy who posted a picture of his parole terms with a joint laying on top of it -- busted. His supervisor told him, "One thing you'll learn is that most of these people are very stupid."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

It's not the first time he's busted someone via social media, either! There was another guy who posted a picture of his parole terms with a joint laying on top of it -- busted. His supervisor told him, "One thing you'll learn is that most of these people are very stupid."

a bit like Guzman getting caught cause of his cell phone - dumb ass
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by coffee.cigarettes Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:57 am

I had a facebook account for all of about two months, about 6 months ago. I didnt really care for the constant barrage of stuff that came from looking at it. the people that I had on my friends list were friends and family that I keep up with on a daily basis by voice or text at minimum, anyway.

once i got rid of it, i didnt look back. i dont miss not getting on it.
coffee.cigarettes
coffee.cigarettes
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down