NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Investigators mystified by death of family in Sierra National Forest

+5
Tommy Monk
Syl
gelico
eddie
Ben Reilly
9 posters

Go down

Investigators mystified by death of family in Sierra National Forest Empty Investigators mystified by death of family in Sierra National Forest

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:26 pm

The couple had backpacked in the Himalayas, ridden camels through the Gobi Desert and checked off Burning Man, even creating their own hashtag, an amalgamation of their first names: #jellonadventures.

So a day of hiking in the Sierra National Forest, even with the demanding switchbacks and triple-digit heat, would not have been unusual for Jonathan Gerrish and Ellen Chung, husband-and-wife transplants from San Francisco who had recently become parents to a little girl, Miju, during the coronavirus pandemic.

But the trek would be the family’s last: Search teams found all three of their bodies on Aug. 17, one day after the family was reported missing not far from Yosemite National Park. The family’s dog, Oski, an Aussie-Akita mix, was also found dead.

More than two weeks later, investigators are still confounded by what caused their deaths. Teams in hazmat suits had already combed the area for clues. On Saturday, the U.S. Forest Service closed trails and recreation sites near where the bodies were found.

The Forest Service had previously posted warning signs about potentially toxic algae blooms in the area. The agency said it had taken the step to “protect the public from unknown hazards.”

That development further disconcerted those who knew the family, including Steven Jeffe, a friend and neighbor in Mariposa, California.

“It’s mysterious,” Jeffe said in an interview Wednesday, “the unknown of what danger possibly lies there.”

Jeffe said he became friends with the couple when all of them lived in San Francisco. He described Gerrish, a software engineer born in Britain, and Chung, a graduate student in family therapy who had worked as a yoga instructor, as outdoor types who were experienced hikers.

Gerrish, 45, had worked as a software engineer for Google, according to his LinkedIn profile. Most recently, he had worked for Snapchat, according to Jeffe. Chung, 30, was raised in Southern California, Jeffe said.

“It’s such a beautiful family,” Jeffe said. “It’s obviously so devastating.”

Initial autopsy results have provided no answers to authorities. Investigators said that there were no signs of trauma and that they were investigating possible lightning strikes in the area.

https://news.yahoo.com/familys-death-sierra-national-forest-185220163.html?guccounter=1
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Investigators mystified by death of family in Sierra National Forest Empty Re: Investigators mystified by death of family in Sierra National Forest

Post by eddie Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:31 pm

So weird! Autopsies revealed nothing....

Any suggestions?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Investigators mystified by death of family in Sierra National Forest Empty Re: Investigators mystified by death of family in Sierra National Forest

Post by gelico Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:05 am

Nada

know nothing about forensics but i can't help but think that if they had been struck by lightening the autopsy would've shown that, no?

.'' Investigators said that there were no signs of trauma and that they were investigating possible lightning strikes in the area.''

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:10 am

gelico wrote:

Nada

know nothing about forensics but i can't help but think that if they had been struck by lightening the autopsy would've shown that, no?

.'' Investigators said that there were no signs of trauma and that they were investigating possible lightning strikes in the area.''

Exactly. Lightening striking all of them and killing them? Not impossible but not likely. Plus, the bodies would show severe burns, which they didn’t.

Very strange.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:19 am

eddie wrote:
gelico wrote:

Nada

Exactly. Lightening striking all of them and killing them? Not impossible but not likely. Plus, the bodies would show severe burns, which they didn’t.

Very strange.

that's what i would have thought

even if lightening had struck a few metres away and the impact had blasted them back/forward or whatever but not directly burning them. even so it would have still been obvious to any kind of expert that that's what had happened.

'investigating lightening strikes' sounds like some kind of vague ''we have no fucking idea so just say anything''

there's always a weird feeling in me about deaths that are unexplained

gelico
Forum Detective

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:22 am

Gels I totally agree! It’s definitely odd.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:23 am

Could be poisoning, possibly from infected water, something adults, baby, and dog all consumed.
And if it was, further tests will find out exactly what and how.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:24 am

Syl wrote:Could be poisoning,  possibly from infected water, something adults, baby, and dog all consumed.

Autopsies have been done. Surely coroners would have looked at the contents of their stomach?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:32 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Could be poisoning,  possibly from infected water, something adults, baby, and dog all consumed.

Autopsies have been done. Surely coroners would have looked at the contents of their stomach?

well it did say ''Initial'' autopsy reports showed no obvious cause of death

if there is no obvious cause they have to do further tests, stomach contents, blood results etc possibly even examining the brain

a good friend of mine lost his eldest son in mysterious circumstances. he never did get answers

not good

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:35 am

eddie wrote:

Some poisons are hard to trace, but if it was that, I'm sure it'll be traced with further tests.
Interesting, I hope there will be follow up reports.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:25 am

Lightning can strike close by people and kill them, without being a direct hit 'flash and burn' type scenario that is so often depicted on TV/film etc.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:07 pm

Sounds like something in some water. Maybe they filtered some to drink, and their filter was defective. Whatever it was killed the dog too, which is bizarre.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Maddog wrote:Sounds like something in some water. Maybe they filtered some to drink, and their filter was defective. Whatever it was killed the dog too, which is bizarre.

I said similar, if there are no signs of bodily trauma it sounds like the most obvious answer to me....especially as the dog and baby have died also.

It's a terrible tragedy.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:52 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:Sounds like something in some water. Maybe they filtered some to drink, and their filter was defective. Whatever it was killed the dog too, which is bizarre.

I said similar, if there are no signs of bodily trauma it sounds like the most obvious answer to me....especially as the dog and baby have died also.

It's a terrible tragedy.

Unless it was some weird murder/suicide thing that included the dog.

These were well educated people. They could have used some strange compound that wouldn't show up in a preliminary autopsy I guess.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:55 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's a terrible tragedy.

Unless it was some weird murder/suicide thing that included the dog.  

These were well educated people. They could have used some strange compound that wouldn't show up in a preliminary autopsy I guess.

I doubt it, but I'm sure if it is anything that has been ingested, it'll show up as further tests are done.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:59 pm

I wonder if they had cell service? Were there attempted calls on their phones? If they didn't call 911, it couldn't be poisonous water or something like that. They would have gotten ill first and attempted to call for help.

Lighting causes burns and other trauma to the body, especially internally. I just don't see how it could be that. Plus there would be evidence of a lightning strike nearby.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:19 pm

Maddog wrote:I wonder if they had cell service? Were there attempted calls on their phones? If they didn't call 911, it couldn't be poisonous water or something like that. They would have gotten ill first and attempted to call for help.  

Lighting causes burns and other trauma to the body, especially internally. I just don't see how it could be that. Plus there would be evidence of a lightning strike nearby.  

It could have happened as they slept, maybe some kind of carbon monoxide poisoning that hasn't shown up in tests as yet.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:29 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:I wonder if they had cell service? Were there attempted calls on their phones? If they didn't call 911, it couldn't be poisonous water or something like that. They would have gotten ill first and attempted to call for help.  

It could have happened as they slept, maybe some kind of carbon monoxide poisoning that hasn't shown up in tests as yet.

Possibly, but I don't think this was a back packing trip, but a day hike.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:30 pm

After reading it again, I'm sure it was a day hike. They didn't go to sleep.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:21 pm

They all including the dog must have ate or drank the same thing or stepped into fumes at the same time. If there was a dried pool of algae large enough for them all to step in at once and break the crust and release enough hydrogen sulphide, which can kill pretty quickly apparently, I imagine it would be obvious to anyone investigating also I think it would show up in autopsy, seems unlikely to have that on any paths though.
There was a lot of this stuff dried out on the coast of Brittany and everyone was told to stay well away. Looks like fumes and very fast if found together. I hope they can solve this.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:43 am

I read recently about a case of people dying because of an overpopulation of a species of wild mouse. I can't for the life of me remember the article but it killed them really quickly and was something to do with inhalation of some kind of toxin released from this creature due to the dry dusty terrain and the droppings.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:44 am

HoratioTarr wrote:I read recently about a case of people dying because of an overpopulation of a species of wild mouse.  I can't for the life of me remember the article but it killed them really quickly and was something to do with inhalation of some kind of toxin released from this creature due to the dry dusty terrain and the droppings.

I remember that.
I think ot was from caves or old abandoned buildings.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:47 am

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hantavirus-pulmonary-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20351838

But this still takes days. It's like catching covid.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:56 am

Maddog wrote:https://www.mayoclinic.org/disteases-conditions/hantavirus-pulmonary-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20351838

But this still takes days. It's like catching covid.

It doesn't affect dogs in the same way anyway.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:34 pm

Maddog wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:I read recently about a case of people dying because of an overpopulation of a species of wild mouse.  I can't for the life of me remember the article but it killed them really quickly and was something to do with inhalation of some kind of toxin released from this creature due to the dry dusty terrain and the droppings.

I remember that.
I think ot was from caves or old abandoned buildings.

No, it was something to do with dust and very dry weather, that mixed with the high population of this particular rodent and caused a toxic dust that when inhaled killed really quickly. I'm damned if I can remember where I saw it. It'll come to me.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:31 pm

Looks like investigators are turning to look more closely into the possibility that it was a "freak" lightning strike -- so I suppose it's at least possible that lightning can kill you without leaving a mark.

The sherriff in charge of the investigation says it's the most myserious case he's seen in his entire life.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:26 pm

Just found the documentary I saw this on. It's on Prime and it's called Dr. G, Most Shocking Autopsies. People were mysteriously dropping dead. At first they thought it was the plague. But it wasn't. It was attacking the lungs. They then searched for toxins. Chemicals. Pesticides. Nothing.

Then they considered it was a strain of flu. But they found nothing.

Finally, they pinned it down to the hantavirus, a deadly disease caused by dried rodent urine. It dries and blows into the air. Eventually they discovered it came from wild Deer Mice. It's the most abundant mammal in America. There's no cure.

HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 am

Very interesting HT.

I've never heard of that before now.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:32 am

HoratioTarr wrote:Just found the documentary I saw this on.  It's on Prime and it's called Dr. G, Most Shocking Autopsies.   People were mysteriously dropping dead. At first they thought it was the plague.  But it wasn't.  It was attacking the lungs.  They then searched for toxins.  Chemicals. Pesticides.  Nothing.  

Then they considered it was a strain of flu.   But they found nothing.

Finally, they pinned it down to the hantavirus, a deadly disease caused by dried rodent urine.  It dries and blows into the air.  Eventually they discovered it came from wild Deer Mice.  It's the most abundant mammal in America.    There's no cure.  

Fascinating.
I wonder how many sudden unexplained deaths could be attributed to this.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:08 pm

What did my last post (previous one on this thread) refer to?

Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Maddog wrote:What did my last post (previous one on this thread) refer to?

Cool

But in the case of this family, the dog died too, and though dogs can get it, it doesn't affect them in the same way as humans, and they dont die from it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:47 pm

From MD's article:

Mayo Clinic wrote:Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome can quickly become life-threatening. As the lungs fill with fluid, breathing becomes more and more difficult. Blood pressure drops and organs begin to fail, particularly the heart. Depending on the hantavirus strain, the mortality rate for the North American variety of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome can be more than 30%.

What prevents dogs from getting infected?  https://wagwalking.com/wellness/can-dogs-get-hantavirus

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down