NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How are you keeping fit during lockdown?

+6
HoratioTarr
Fred Moletrousers
gelico
Ben Reilly
Maddog
Syl
10 posters

Go down

How are you keeping fit during lockdown? Empty How are you keeping fit during lockdown?

Post by Syl Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:34 pm

Are you managing to exercise at all?

I am finding physical exercise a lot harder to do than mental exercise.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

How are you keeping fit during lockdown? Empty Re: How are you keeping fit during lockdown?

Post by Syl Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:03 pm

Mentally I am still exercising the old brain, I read, talk, argue, craft, and importantly, post on forums a lot. Cool

Physically, obviously housework....but the only addition now (till spring comes and I can get out in the garden) is 3 or 4 walks a week. We do about 5000 steps, which isn't much (it actually equates to a round trip of 10 bus stops) but after that my other knee, which should have been replaced over a year ago, starts to hurt.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

How are you keeping fit during lockdown? Empty Re: How are you keeping fit during lockdown?

Post by Maddog Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:49 pm

Riding bikes and drinking beer.

About to head out on 44 mile group ride this morning.

I really should add some other type of exercise. At least something more load bearing because cycling is simply aerobic and doesn't build much muscle or help with bone density.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:53 pm

Doing housework, walking to Tesco's, and lately I've been (half-heartedly) joining in on some of my stepdaughter's P.E. videos that we pull up on YouTube.

Yes, I did (some of) this routine. Doopity-doopity-doo!

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:54 pm

Maddog wrote:Riding bikes and drinking beer.

I really should add some other type of exercise. At least something more load bearing because cycling is simply aerobic and doesn't build much muscle or help with bone density.  

44 miles?

FFS! I would struggle even if there were a decimal point in the middle

and that's providing i could actually keep my balance on the damn thing

Rolling Eyes

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:00 pm

gelico wrote:

44 miles?

FFS!  I would struggle even if there were a decimal point in the middle

and that's providing i could actually keep my balance on the damn thing

Rolling Eyes

Hahaha....me too nowadays.

When I was much younger I set out with a friend for a full day on the bike.
We just kept going...then saw a sign that said 25 miles to where we were staying. We forgot we should have turned around hours ago, so we completed a 50 mile trip, it was utter agony.
I couldn't move for a couple of days afterwards.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:05 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Doing housework, walking to Tesco's, and lately I've been (half-heartedly) joining in on some of my stepdaughter's P.E. videos that we pull up on YouTube.

Yes, I did (some of) this routine. Doopity-doopity-doo!

Well done you. Razz
I think some men for some odd reason find it hard to sit on the floor with their legs crossed, so even managing that is good. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:07 pm

Have you tried weights?

I forgot to add, I do weights every morning and every night. Just for my arms....but I actually do have arm muscles now. cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:08 pm

I use an ap aimed at the, ahem, more elderly, that records only brisk (i.e. regarded as clinically beneficial) walking. My daily target is 30 minutes, or three “active tens”, and I try to maintain a walking speed of 2.8mph.
I’m immensely lucky in that I live out in the countryside and I have an abundance of country lanes and public footpaths to choose from, so I frequently notch up four or five active tens.
If the weather is bad I do at least 30 minutes at three miles an hour on my treadmill.
Most of the year I’m also pretty busy in my garden -all two and a half acres of it.
OK, it might not sound a lot of exercise to many folk, but I suppose many folk ain’t within a couple of months of being 82!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:15 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:I use an ap aimed at the, ahem, more elderly, that records only brisk (i.e. regarded as clinically beneficial) walking. My daily target is 30 minutes, or three “active tens”, and I try to maintain a walking speed of 2.8mph.
I’m immensely lucky in that I live out in the countryside and I have an abundance of country lanes and public footpaths to choose from, so I frequently notch up four or five active tens.
If the weather is bad I do at least 30 minutes at three miles an hour on my treadmill.
Most of the year I’m also pretty busy in my garden -all two and a half acres of it.
OK, it might not sound a lot of exercise to many folk, but I suppose many folk ain’t within a couple of months of being 82!

It sounds like you get a lot of exercise no matter what your age is. Probably more than lots of younger people who don't have an active job and play on electronic games all night....and I know a couple of them.

Gardening is great exercise, and you have a big one. I am a fair weather gardener....cant stand the cold.

ps....I bought a treadmill once, after counting and re counting the roses on my bedroom wallpaper umpteen times, I decided to get rid, I found it mind-numbingly boring.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:14 pm

Syl wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:I use an ap aimed at the, ahem, more elderly, that records only brisk (i.e. regarded as clinically beneficial) walking. My daily target is 30 minutes, or three “active tens”, and I try to maintain a walking speed of 2.8mph.

It sounds like you get a lot of exercise no matter what your age is. Probably more than lots of younger people who don't have an active job and play on electronic games all night....and I know a couple of them.

Gardening is great exercise, and you have a big one. I am a fair weather gardener....cant stand the cold.

ps....I bought a treadmill once, after counting and re counting the roses on my bedroom wallpaper umpteen times, I decided to get rid, I found it mind-numbingly boring.

Well, Syl, the surgeon who did my heart op at the Royal Papworth Hospital getting on for three years ago told me that my fitness had been the key to the successful outcome of the procedure and my rapid recovery,  and that it would be a case of use my new aorta or lose it!
When he told me that it had been made out of bovine tissue I said “well I hope it came from a good Scottish Aberdeen Angus and not a French Charolais.”
Trying to explain that to a Pakistani surgeon, even with the most flawless English accent, was somewhat difficult.....
Yes, treadmills are not designed to bring excitement into one’s life. I overcame that by mounting a small TV at eye level in front of it and watching half hour documentaries on Freeview.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:30 pm

Syl wrote:Are you managing to exercise at all?

I am finding physical exercise a lot harder to do than mental exercise.

We have a rowing machine. One those big beasts you see in gyms. It makes your heart pound.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:43 pm

Syl wrote:

Have you tried weights?

I forgot to add, I do weights every morning and every night. Just for my arms....but I actually do have arm muscles now. cheers

Yeah, I've done crossfit in the past and also been a gym rat. I've just been sort a lazy and or riding mostly. I actually have a gym in my building.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:49 pm

I’ve become lazier actually. I go to work and my job is quite physical - a lot of rushing around on my feet etc.

I watch what I eat, I always have (except my pizza binges!), so I haven’t put on weight due to lockdown.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:34 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well, Syl, the surgeon who did my heart op at the Royal Papworth Hospital getting on for three years ago told me that my fitness had been the key to the successful outcome of the procedure and my rapid recovery,  and that it would be a case of use my new aorta or lose it!
When he told me that it had been made out of bovine tissue I said “well I hope it came from a good Scottish Aberdeen Angus and not a French Charolais.”
Trying to explain that to a Pakistani surgeon, even with the most flawless English accent, was somewhat difficult.....
Yes, treadmills are not designed to bring excitement into one’s life. I overcame that by mounting a small TV at eye level in front of it and watching half hour documentaries on Freeview.

Lol....humour often doesn't translate well when trying to be amusing for someone from a different country.
When I was young I had a Greek Cypriot boyfriend, I learned early on that we may look the same and even talk the same (almost) but sense of humour, or 'getting' the joke, definitely varies somewhat.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:35 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Have you tried weights?

Yeah, I've done crossfit in the past and also been a gym rat.  I've just been sort a lazy and or riding mostly. I actually have a gym in my building.

I don't like gyms, I prefer to do my weights and sit-ups in private, it's not a pretty sight.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:41 pm

Anyone who hasn't put a bit of weight on in the last year deserves congratulating imo.

For some reason I need a reward after my tea...I never used to eat deserts unless I was eating out, now every evening I need a treat, usually ice cream and/or chocolate.....so though I dont weigh myself, I think I must have put a bit of weight on.

Problem is added to by the fact that like most people I am not wearing 'going out' evening clothes....I am living in leggings or similar, and they have a lot of stretch in them. How are you keeping fit during lockdown? 2984306523
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:56 pm

I get about the same exercise.  There's no prohibition to going out, just congregating in groups.  The gym is out, but not the beautiful parks we have...as long as you go it alone.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:02 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yeah, I've done crossfit in the past and also been a gym rat.  I've just been sort a lazy and or riding mostly. I actually have a gym in my building.

I don't like gyms, I prefer to do my weights and sit-ups in private, it's not a pretty sight.

Yeah, I get that.
But to be honest, people work harder in groups. Even on my bike rides my pace is slightly quicker riding with others than going solo.

Before I went to Colorado last summer I was taking my yoga mat on my bike and going to a park and doing some real quick HIIT workouts.

I still pretty much died riding at over 8000 feet elevation.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:25 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Yeah, I get that.  
But to be honest, people work harder in groups. Even on my bike rides my pace is slightly quicker riding with others than going solo.  

Before I went to Colorado last summer I was taking my yoga mat on my bike and going to a park and doing some real quick HIIT workouts.

I agree some group exercise is better and a lot easier if you share it.
I have never been on a solo bike ride, I used to love riding with friends and family though.

The gym, even if other people are there, is quite a solitary experience though, everyone is doing their own programme...at least they were at my local gym.

Good for you for doing yoga in the park, good for you and good for watchers too. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:29 pm

Original Quill wrote:I get about the same exercise.  There's no prohibition to going out, just congregating in groups.  The gym is out, but not the beautiful parks we have...as long as you go it alone.
Same here Quill, we can go out to exercise locally, just not in groups.

The cold weather is a bit of a deterrent at the minute. We went out this afternoon for a walk in the local countryside, temp was 2c but it felt like -5....it did start to snow and that warmed it up a bit.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Original Quill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:13 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yeah, I get that.  

I agree some group exercise is better and a lot easier if you share it.
I have never been on a solo bike ride, I used to love riding with friends and family though.

The gym, even if other people are there, is quite a solitary experience though, everyone is doing their own programme...at least they were at my local gym.

Good for you for doing yoga in the park, good for you and good for watchers too. Wink

I'm not doing yoga, although it couldn't hurt. HIIT are like plyometrics and the like.

The typical gym workout is solitary, except for group activities like Crossfit or other similar group workouts. In Crossfit, you're expected to cheer on others as they workout. It's also a good way to get injured when you're an old fart like me. There's a lot of Olympic lifting with heavy weights. I strained the hell out of a groin muscle and gave it up. It's a young persons activity.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:11 am

I didn't know what HIIT was so I just googled a video....I feel knackered just watching.

I use weights of 8lbs in each hand for arm exercises.
They are light, but I do 30 of each exercise, to build strength not muscle....it works OK for me.

I am a lightweight, but then I am also an  old fart. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:07 am

Syl wrote:I didn't know what HIIT was so I just googled a video....I feel knackered just watching.

They are light, but I do 30 of each exercise, to build strength not muscle....it works OK for me.

Your purse weighs more than 8 pounds.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:40 am

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:I didn't know what HIIT was so I just googled a video....I feel knackered just watching.

Your purse weighs more than 8 pounds.  

snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:13 pm

My right arm is the fittest it's ever been!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:46 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

My right arm is the fittest it's ever been!

lol!

So you do weights as well Tommy? Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:18 pm

Vigorously...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Alternate arms/hand.....you don't want to look odd come T shirt weather. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:35 pm

Well I don't count in this thread as I am more or less back to work full time, I now remember why I wanted to retire or at least do part time then retire.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:47 pm

Vintage wrote:Well I don't count in this thread as I am more or less back to work full time, I now remember why I wanted to retire or at least do part time then retire.

Of course you count.

Many people who are still working don't do much exercise anyway, depending on their job.

Some drive to work, take the lift to the office, sit at a desk for hours, take the lift down and drive home.
Not working I get more exercise than that even if I don't go out that day. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down