NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant.

+4
Original Quill
nicko
Maddog
Syl
8 posters

Go down

School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant. Empty School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant.

Post by Syl Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:59 pm

Rolling Eyes

"A school has been accused of sexual discrimination for telling an 11-year-old boy he could not wear his hair in a ponytail. Tyler Brown, who started at Alder Community High School in Hyde, Greater Manchester, last week, was told to take his hair out of the band that was holding it back, leaving it to flop down onto his face. Parents Rachael Howard and Robert Brown said they are ‘disgusted’ and questioned why girls are allowed to have ponytails while boys are not."

School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant. Pri_1610

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/12/parents-disgusted-after-school-bans-boy-11-from-wearing-his-hair-in-ponytail-13261452/
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant. Empty Re: School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant.

Post by Syl Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:07 pm

His father has said....‘we decided it’s his choice and we shouldn’t take that away from him. He wants it to look like Thor’s hair in Marvel Avengers but it’s not long enough yet. ‘He’s in all the right uniform, they’re taking away his own rights.’

The mother said.....When my son asked why he couldn’t wear his hair in a ponytail, the headteacher responded by saying “If you don’t like the rules move schools.”‘

I like the sound of the headteacher.  cheers

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant. Empty Re: School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant.

Post by Maddog Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:16 pm

I'm always amazed at people who join something with rules in place then believe they dont have to follow the rules.  

And it's worse when I get the feeling the parents are using their kids to fight some battle of their own.

Last edited by Maddog on Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Articles like this, which guarantee the kid will be getting picked on by their peers right about now, are always accompanied by a photo of the parents, usually overweight and chavy looking, staring into the camera with pained and offended looks on their faces....idiots.
School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant. Pri_1611
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:56 pm

What do you find under a pony's tail ?

Answer------------an arsehole !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 pm

Maddog wrote:I'm always amazed at people who join something with rules in place then believe they dont have to follow the rules.

Was there a rule beforehand that said: 'Male students shall not wear their hair in a pony-tail'? I’m bettin’, it was made up on the spot.

The rule mentioned in the OP makes no mention of ‘pony-tails’, and pony-tails are hardly an “extreme hairstyle” … they were in vogue on girls when I was in grade school. I have the impression Alder Community High School is making it up to cover their prissy li’l asses.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:55 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:I'm always amazed at people who join something with rules in place then believe they dont have to follow the rules.  

Was there a rule beforehand that said: 'Male students shall not wear their hair in a pony-tail'?  I’m bettin’, it was made up on the spot.

The rule mentioned in the OP makes no mention of ‘pony-tails’, and pony-tails are hardly an “extreme hairstyle” … they were in vogue on girls when I was in grade school.  I have the impression Alder Community High School is making it up to cover their prissy li’l asses.
The school lays out its policy on hair on their website. 
It states ‘extreme hairstyles’ are not allowed, such as a shaved style less than #2, shaved patterns, ‘skinhead’, ‘mohican’ and ‘top knot’. It continues: ‘Longer hair should be tied back for practical lessons, with a plain hairband. Girls may wear a plain black headscarf (if applicable – no tassels, lace or fringe of any type and small enough to be tucked into the shirt so the tie can be clearly seen).’ 
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:33 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Was there a rule beforehand that said: 'Male students shall not wear their hair in a pony-tail'?  I’m bettin’, it was made up on the spot.

The rule mentioned in the OP makes no mention of ‘pony-tails’, and pony-tails are hardly an “extreme hairstyle” … they were in vogue on girls when I was in grade school.  I have the impression Alder Community High School is making it up to cover their prissy li’l asses.
It states ‘extreme hairstyles’ are not allowed, such as a shaved style less than #2, shaved patterns, ‘skinhead’, ‘mohican’ and ‘top knot’. It continues: ‘Longer hair should be tied back for practical lessons, with a plain hairband. Girls may wear a plain black headscarf (if applicable – no tassels, lace or fringe of any type and small enough to be tucked into the shirt so the tie can be clearly seen).’ 

I thought you didn't like betting.

BTW, you just lost this bet as Syl has pointed out. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:22 am

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Yeah, I saw that. Nothing about pony-tails. Everything else is mentioned, apparently, but pony-tail is not cited.

Nor do pony-tails fall into the category of "extreme hairstyles"... half the student body wear pony-tails at one time or another, maybe more. "Extreme" doesn't fit.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:29 pm

When hair is shaved underneath leaving the front hair long and tied high up like the lad has it's actually a top knot Quill, and that is listed in the school rules.

But surely the point is the school don't want the pupils to wear styles like that, they have a code of dress and in their opinion this falls outside of it.
Like the head said, if they don't like it, find a school that does......simple.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:55 pm

Whatever people's opinions of the parents and boy are, and how rules should be adhered to; rules on how to wear your hair are dumb in 2020.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:25 pm

Schools can dictate what clothes are to be worn while attending, and while out of school kids can wear what they want... Schools should not be able to dictate anything that also controls personal appearance choices outside of school...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:23 pm

In my opinion, it's a bit scary that government-funded schools teach impressionable young children to blindly follow stupid rules.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:56 pm

Syl wrote:When hair is shaved underneath leaving the front hair long and tied high up like the lad has it's actually a top knot Quill, and that is listed in the school rules.

But surely the point is the school don't want the pupils to wear styles like that, they have a code of dress and in their opinion this falls outside of it.

Ehhhh...looks like a pony-tail to me. I'm not an expert in hairstyles, but the rules aren't meant for experts...in fact, they are meant for kids.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's a duck. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:06 pm

Eilzel wrote:Whatever people's opinions of the parents and boy are, and how rules should be adhered to; rules on how to wear your hair are dumb in 2020.

Agreed.,

Problem is, the number of dumb rules I have to follow as an adult are staggering.  

These dumb school rules are there to teach kids to be obedient citizens.

But, in this case there seems to be a very simple option. Go to a school with less dumb rules.

Last edited by Maddog on Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:12 pm

I mean some might say school uniforms are dumb. I know my daughters were horrified when there was talk of instituting them at school when they were young.

A few years later and my middle child wore one every day in college. It was mandatory for cadets. What wasnt mandatory was that university or even being cadet. And Jesus the amount of Bobby pins she had to wear in her hair under her "cover".
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:58 pm

Eilzel wrote:Whatever people's opinions of the parents and boy are, and how rules should be adhered to; rules on how to wear your hair are dumb in 2020.

You may be right, so parents have a choice to send their kids to a school where the emphasis is on learning not hairstyles.

In my opinion 11 years shouldn't dictate what rules they will or wont comply too.
The lad is happy to wear the uniform, no doubt happy to follow the curriculum, but because he wants to look like Thor he doesn't want to wear his hair in a style deemed appropriate by the school. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:06 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:When hair is shaved underneath leaving the front hair long and tied high up like the lad has it's actually a top knot Quill, and that is listed in the school rules.

Ehhhh...looks like a pony-tail to me.  I'm not an expert in hairstyles, but the rules aren't meant for experts...in fact, they are meant for kids.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's a duck.  Laughing

I wouldn't say he looks like a duck, just a bit silly. Razz

Just googled mens top knots....this image and others come up.

School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant. Man-bu11
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:15 pm

THIS is what a pony tail looks like, and I should know, I had one for years. Razz

School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant. C231bd10
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:06 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Ehhhh...looks like a pony-tail to me.  I'm not an expert in hairstyles, but the rules aren't meant for experts...in fact, they are meant for kids.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's a duck.  Laughing

School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant. Man-bu11

That's a pony-tali, waitin' to sprout. Haven't you ever planted beans? Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:11 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

That's a pony-tali, waitin' to sprout.  Haven't you ever planted beans?  Twisted Evil

Haha...sadly I haven't Quill, I tend to nip to M&S or buy a tin.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Surely he could just have his hair cut how he wants it, but just gel it down neat while at school and wear it differently outside of school?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:13 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Surely he could just have his hair cut how he wants it, but just gel it down neat while at school and wear it differently outside of school?

Well yes, but that wouldn't get his mam and dad any press attention would it? Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 am

Tommy Monk wrote:Surely he could just have his hair cut how he wants it, but just gel it down neat while at school and wear it differently outside of school?

I agree, tommy.  Or, as you suggest, take the band out and let the hair grow to any length.  It's much-ado-about-nothing.  But, somebody at that school has a real hard-on for maintaining the contemporary gender gap.  It wasn't that long ago...

School accused of sexual discrimination because girls can have pony tails and boys cant. Mr178055_b361ca86-7fe4-407b-8eae-56782f439af1

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:30 am

Maddog wrote:

Agreed.,

Problem is, the number of dumb rules I have to follow as an adult are staggering.  

But, in this case there seems to be a very simple option. Go to a school with less dumb rules.

It isn't always that simple though, plus the boy's friends probably a go to the same school.

It is funny in a society we think of as supporting individuality that schools are often the least likely to support that kind of thinking (despite being apparently festering pits of liberal propaganda lol).

Plus, dumb rules in adult life should even be questioned. I have no problem following lots of rules, so long as they are grounded in reason.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by inmyopinion Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:03 am

Eilzel wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Agreed.,

It isn't always that simple though, plus the boy's friends probably a go to the same school.

It is funny in a society we think of as supporting individuality that schools are often the least likely to support that kind of thinking (despite being apparently festering pits of liberal propaganda lol).

Plus, dumb rules in adult life should even be questioned. I have no problem following lots of rules, so long as they are grounded in reason.

I agree and I believe most peopleare the same, If a rule makes sense, even if it requires explanation, people will normally follow the rule, it's when they make no sense, such as covid, that people get defiant and rightly so.
With saying that I do think rules have taken far to much control of every day lives,the "nanny"state we now endure is getting out of hand.
inmyopinion
inmyopinion
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:06 pm

What makes sense to some will never make sense to others, especially parents who want their faces in the papers.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:47 pm

If a rule makes sense, it doesn't really need to be a rule or enforced now does it?

And I guess at some point, senseless rules need to be challenged. I would just hope it's for the right reasons and not some short lived fame, especially at the expense of your kid.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down