NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peak Woke -Stop the full stop. Punctuation symbol is 'intimidating' to young people who interpret it as a sign of anger, linguists say

5 posters

Go down

Peak Woke -Stop the full stop. Punctuation symbol is 'intimidating' to young people who interpret it as a sign of anger, linguists say Empty Peak Woke -Stop the full stop. Punctuation symbol is 'intimidating' to young people who interpret it as a sign of anger, linguists say

Post by Didgee Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:59 am

Language experts have claimed that young people find the full stop intimidating as it is seen as a sign of anger in text messages.

As Generation Z - teenagers or those in their early twenties - have grown up in the age of instant messaging, the punctuation mark is no longer commonly used.

Linguists experts from across the world have been investigating the purposefulness of the full stop as communication habits have evolved.

Dr Lauren Fonteyn tweeted: If you send a text message without a full stop, it's already obvious that you've concluded the message.

'So if you add that additional marker for completion, they will read something into it and it tends to be a falling intonation or negative tone.'

According to the Telegraph, linguists are divided on whether the full stop has become redundant given that text messages are concluded by pressing send so there is arguably no need for the full stop.

However, some experts have claimed the context matters.

Owen McArdle, a linguist at the University of Cambridge, told the Telegraph: 'I'm not sure I agree about emails. I guess it depends how formal they are.

'But full stops are, in my experience, very much the exception and not the norm in [young people's] instant messages, and have a new role in signifying an abrupt or angry tone of voice.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8657089/Full-stop-intimidating-young-people-interpret-sign-anger-linguists-say.html

No words..........................

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Peak Woke -Stop the full stop. Punctuation symbol is 'intimidating' to young people who interpret it as a sign of anger, linguists say Empty Re: Peak Woke -Stop the full stop. Punctuation symbol is 'intimidating' to young people who interpret it as a sign of anger, linguists say

Post by Vintage Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:09 am

Are we raising a generation intimidated by everything, including their own shadow.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Peak Woke -Stop the full stop. Punctuation symbol is 'intimidating' to young people who interpret it as a sign of anger, linguists say Empty Re: Peak Woke -Stop the full stop. Punctuation symbol is 'intimidating' to young people who interpret it as a sign of anger, linguists say

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:06 pm

Oh dear... what a load of bollocks...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:54 pm

It could well be that "...young people find the full stop intimidating..." because they are too friggin' thick to understand its purpose, and even less capable of using it in even the most basic form of sentence and paragraph construction.

I would imagine that they also believe that the only colon is a shit tube down the middle of the body and that a semi colon is another word for constipation.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:12 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:It could well be that "...young people find the full stop intimidating..." because they are too friggin' thick to understand its purpose, and even less capable of using it in even the most basic form of sentence and paragraph construction.

I would imagine that they also believe that the only colon is a shit tube down the middle of the body and that a semi colon is another word for constipation.

Careful now, Fred. You sound like the old man who laments the passing of the 1950's, and all of that world. We already have one of those: MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN. Only he's over here.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:It could well be that "...young people find the full stop intimidating..." because they are too friggin' thick to understand its purpose, and even less capable of using it in even the most basic form of sentence and paragraph construction.

Careful now, Fred.  You sound like the old man who laments the passing of the 1950's, and all of that world.  We already have one of those: MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.  Only he's over here.

While I readily admit to being someone who would never intentionally split an infinitive ('cos I woz edicated proper) I do draw the line at seeing my beautiful language bastardised by the requirements of textspeak!

And please, please...don't try to represent me as a British version of Trump! Diehard and patriotic old Brigante tribesman (Yorkshire to you lot) I may be, but TRUMP!!!!!!!!!! HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:35 pm

While not up to your standards Moley I was taught in school and at home to speak in proper sentences and schooled in grammar, I remember chanting the rules of grammar in primary school every Wednesday morning. Its hard on my ears and eyes now, when listening to or reading news reports, full of mistakes and nonsense words and phrases, from journalists who really should have a love of language as well as a love of getting the news out.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:09 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Careful now, Fred.  You sound like the old man who laments the passing of the 1950's, and all of that world.  We already have one of those: MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.  Only he's over here.

While I readily admit to being someone who would never intentionally split an infinitive ('cos I woz edicated proper) I do draw the line at seeing my beautiful language bastardised by the requirements of textspeak!

And please, please...don't try to represent me as a British version of Trump! Diehard and patriotic old Brigante tribesman (Yorkshire to you lot) I may be, but TRUMP!!!!!!!!!! HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR

Just ribbin' you, Fred. My response was the same. I even had to look up 'full stop'. I didn't know there was anything else.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down