NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Word censorship has been removed. But let me be clear ...

+5
HoratioTarr
eddie
Syl
Eilzel
Ben Reilly
9 posters

Go down

Word censorship has been removed. But let me be clear ... Empty Word censorship has been removed. But let me be clear ...

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:14 am

... the use of previously censored words will not be tolerated if they're used in an abusive manner.

So you're free to call your friend a cunt in a friendly way -- or a politician a cunt any way you feel like.

You're not free to abuse fellow posters with such words.

IF YOU FEEL YOU'VE BEEN ABUSED:

You have two choices. You can handle it yourself, or you can ask me or any of the other moderators to step in.

We won't crack the whip every time someone gets insulting. This is a debate forum; sometimes members insult other members. You all know the drill by now.

Really, the only change is that we used to have stand-in words like geranium, but now there will be no stand-in words. This isn't license to abuse. I just think it's a more sensible way to run the forum than to automatically censor certain words.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Word censorship has been removed. But let me be clear ... Empty Re: Word censorship has been removed. But let me be clear ...

Post by Eilzel Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:23 am

Good changes. And very fair ruling. Just common sense really Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Word censorship has been removed. But let me be clear ... Empty Re: Word censorship has been removed. But let me be clear ...

Post by Guest Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:22 am

Good.
Corbyn is far left , common,scruffy cunt.
Boris is a far right, rich, posh scruffy cunt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:14 pm

I will from now on report any posts using previously censored swear words if they are aimed in an unreasonable offensive misogynistic way designed purely to insult.....and hope it's taken seriously.

In my getting on for five years posting here I  have only ever reported ONE really offensive post  and it was completely ignored.

Free speech is great if people can control themselves.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:08 pm

Syl as I said on another thread, please feel free to report any misuse of any word.
We will take action.

You have my word.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 pm

Syl wrote:I will from now on report any posts using previously censored swear words if they are aimed in an unreasonable offensive misogynistic way designed purely to insult.....and hope it's taken seriously.

In my getting on for five years posting here I  have only ever reported ONE really offensive post  and it was completely ignored.

Best thing to do is contact several mods and provide a link to the comment. That will help us quickly see and address the issue.

We're taking abuse of posters quite seriously.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:19 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Syl wrote:I will from now on report any posts using previously censored swear words if they are aimed in an unreasonable offensive misogynistic way designed purely to insult.....and hope it's taken seriously.

Best thing to do is contact several mods and provide a link to the comment. That will help us quickly see and address the issue.

We're taking abuse of posters quite seriously.

I've had to post this here because the Quick Reply facility on here won't work for me. What's up with it?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:21 pm

What do you mean, Horatio?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:05 pm

eddie wrote:What do you mean, Horatio?

When I try to post using the Quick reply it won't work
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:39 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:What do you mean, Horatio?

You mean the “quote” button?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:05 pm

eddie wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

You mean the “quote” button?

No, the Quick reply!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:57 pm

On some sites I have seen the window at the bottom of the thread (where I'm writing this now) called the Quick Reply window. (On this site it is simply untitled.)

If you mean otherwise, HT, you need to explain.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:43 pm

HT knows what the quick reply window is... if she says it's not working for her then that's what she means...

HT... It might be something to do with the browser settings you have, or maybe just try a different browser to see if it works that way...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:01 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:HT knows what the quick reply window is... if she says it's not working for her then that's what she means...

HT... It might be something to do with the browser settings you have, or maybe just try a different browser to see if it works that way...

No doubt she means what she says. I was just sharing my recent experience, having just suffered a system crash on my own computer.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:15 pm

Original Quill wrote:On some sites I have seen the window at the bottom of the thread (where I'm writing this now) called the Quick Reply window.  (On this site it is simply untitled.)

If you mean otherwise, HT, you need to explain.

It does say Quick Reply on the far left hand corner.  
Word censorship has been removed. But let me be clear ... 105419603_2790350034407118_8467962903963584400_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=iZ659F4vppYAX99loEV&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:18 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

HT knows what the quick reply window is... if she says it's not working for her then that's what she means...

Could be. It's annoying though and never happened before. Perhaps it's just a glitch.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:27 pm

I have a quick reply on the left hand side...I have never thought to use it and it doesn't work anyway.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:47 pm

Syl wrote:I have a quick reply on the left hand side...I have never thought to use it and it doesn't work anyway.

So it doesn't work for you either? Pretty pointless having it. I'm sure it worked a while back.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:13 am

I just used it
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:22 pm

I am a bit vague I admit, I have never even noticed the 'like/Dislike' buttons above the 'quick reply' before.
I wondered if clicking on that would award a alien (it doesn't) I just tried it on your post above Maddog, and it says 'Syl likes this post'....can you see that?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:33 pm

It just seems to keep a tally of how many like/dislike the single post.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:44 pm

Syl wrote:I am a bit vague I admit, I have never even noticed the 'like/Dislike' buttons above the 'quick reply' before.
I wondered if clicking on that would award a alien (it doesn't) I just tried it on your post above Maddog, and it says 'Syl likes this post'....can you see that?

Nope.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:43 pm

test
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:43 pm

Ah, now it's working. How odd.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 pm

Mine doesn't work. On the opposite side the 'Watch this topic for replies' does, but I dont use that.... and I have never used the 'quick reply' either....so it doesn't bother me.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:35 pm

Lol....I have just 'liked' my own post. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Ben Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:39 pm

I have a Quick Reply text box at the bottom of the page. I don't have it under the Like, Dislike buttons.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:41 pm

Syl wrote:Mine doesn't work. On the opposite side  the 'Watch this topic for replies' does, but I dont use that.... and I have never used the 'quick reply' either....so it doesn't bother me.

What do you expect 'quick reply' to do? I've always thought it was a title for the window below, in which you write any reply.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:40 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:Mine doesn't work. On the opposite side  the 'Watch this topic for replies' does, but I dont use that.... and I have never used the 'quick reply' either....so it doesn't bother me.

What do you expect 'quick reply' to do?  I've always thought it was a title for the window below, in which you write any reply.
I dont know what it does Quill, I have never even noticed I had one till Horatio brought it up.
I have never noticed the Like/Dislike option before either.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:37 am

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

What do you expect 'quick reply' to do?  I've always thought it was a title for the window below, in which you write any reply.
I dont know what it does Quill, I have never even noticed I had one till Horatio brought it up.

I believe 'quick reply' is just the window beneath it.  Actually, there is no other way to reply, unless via the 'quote' function.  So, whether quick or not, it is just the reply window.

Anyone know anything different?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:30 pm

i think you are right.
I blame Horatio for bringing it up in the first place and causing all this confusion. snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:35 pm

lol!

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:54 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

The Like/Dislike option is new. Must’ve been added by forumotion.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:11 pm

The like/dislike option surprised me too, but then again, I'm about as active on the FM forum owners' boards as I am in Black Lives Matter, so ....
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Lurker and Syl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:22 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:The like/dislike option surprised me too, but then again, I'm about as active on the FM forum owners' boards as I am in Black Lives Matter, so ....

It's probably forumotion.  It has just appeared on other forums too.

Last edited by Original Quill on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:46 pm

I'm glad it's a new feature, this means I am not as unobservant as I first thought. bounce
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:26 am

Actually, you called it to my attention. I was on the way to ignoring it completely.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Original Quill wrote:Actually, you called it to my attention.  I was on the way to ignoring it completely.

I liked your post for the simple reason I am in awe of the habit you have of being completely oblivious sometimes. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:46 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Actually, you called it to my attention.  I was on the way to ignoring it completely.

I liked your post for the simple reason I am in awe of the habit you have of being completely oblivious sometimes. Razz

Yes, I have the uncanny ability to focus and go right to the point.  In order to do this I quickly pass casual and nonessential things onto the background.  But that has a down side in that I often miss details like those 'like/dislike' buttons.

Last edited by Original Quill on Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Rolling Eyes
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:59 pm

Wink

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:11 pm

lol!
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Original Quill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Has anyone disliked a post yet? Unlike reds, they’re not anonymous Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 pm

A couple of likes; no dislikes yet. I should...Syl and I have had some fun conversations.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:34 pm

Original Quill wrote:A couple of likes; no dislikes yet.  I should...Syl and I have had some fun conversations.

Yes you should. I’ve waited for years for you to show your big old heart Quilly Wink
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:39 pm

eddie wrote:Has anyone disliked a post yet? Unlike reds, they’re not anonymous Razz

I disliked yours. Where does it show that I disliked it?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:42 pm

Never mind. I guess it shows who to everybody else.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:47 pm

I don’t see where you disliked mine? And everyone can see it, including the person who presses the button.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 pm

eddie wrote:I don’t see where you disliked mine? And everyone can see it, including the person who presses the button.

Ah, I think you can only see a name if someone likes a post, not if they dislike it.
That’s a bit crap. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:38 pm

What happens if one or more like a post I wonder, does it list everyone?

Edit....yep,
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down