NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Beggars Belief - Covid's war on women

2 posters

Go down

This Beggars Belief - Covid's war on women Empty This Beggars Belief - Covid's war on women

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:52 pm

COVID’S WAR ON WOMEN — During this plague year, there is almost never good news, only degrees of bad news. Even so, the pandemic has been different (and worse) for girls and women.

It’s true that more men are dying than women from Covid-19 around the world — but that’s not exactly cause for celebration.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-nightly-coronavirus-special-edition/2020/04/29/covids-war-on-women-489076

Unbelievable comment to make, when this is vastly effecting more males than females and where many people have died no matter their sex

Back to top Go down

This Beggars Belief - Covid's war on women Empty Re: This Beggars Belief - Covid's war on women

Post by eddie Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:12 pm

From your link:

Another ambivalent data point: More workplace risk is falling on women, who are more likely to be considered essential workers. The upside to that is still having a job, but at what price? Sweden’s Foreign Minister Ann Linde pointed out today in a POLITICO interview that “70 percent of those working in health care and elderly care are women.”

More of the daily grind tends to fall, on average, on women: From the increased cleaning and chores that come with more time spent in the home, which falls disproportionately to so many female household members, to the extra education and childcare work created through closures of school and day care, where men have also been known, on average, to skimp.

The real-life examples are heartbreaking: Alice Jorge, a woman living with a disability in Belgium who needs support from her sister and a visiting nurse, was recently asked to choose between keeping her Covid-19 positive caregiver or going without professional care. Three women bound to suffer no matter what choices they took.

Domestic violence is up sharply: A new research report by a consortium that includes Johns Hopkins University confirms this: 31 million additional cases of gender-based violence can be expected globally if lockdowns last for an average of six months.

Travel to shelters may be restricted, and a simple phone call to a helpline can itself trigger new violence. Support services are overwhelmed with requests: from a 47 percent increase in calls to Spain’s national hotline to a 113 percent spike at U.N.-supported hotlines in Ukraine.

We can expect 7 million unplanned pregnancies in 144 low- and middle-income countries, thanks in part to restricted access to contraception, not to mention the 2 million female genital mutilations and countless child marriages projected to increase by the United Nations’ population agency. “The pandemic is deepening inequality,” UNFPA Executive Director Natalia Kanem said, slamming the “Swiss cheese of a safety net” she sees in most countries.

Kanem speaks of childbirth horror stories: pregnant women unable to access caesarian procedures (many of which are unplanned) or blood pressure medication because of redeployed health care resources, or “the woman gets to the clinic (and) the midwife isn’t there,” because they’re also redeployed or sick. Up to two-thirds of maternal and neonatal deaths globally occur because of the absence of properly trained midwives in better times.

During World War II, women on the U.S. homefront — think Rosie the Riveter — entered the workforce out of a call to sacrifice for the common good. During this pandemic, women are being called back — but this time to the frontlines.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

This Beggars Belief - Covid's war on women Empty Re: This Beggars Belief - Covid's war on women

Post by eddie Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:13 pm

Very interesting actually. Those points hadn’t occurred to me properly until now.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:17 pm

eddie wrote:Very interesting actually. Those points hadn’t occurred to me properly until now.

Yes those points are very valid and needed to be said.

It was this comment that was truely shocking which I highlighted

"It’s true that more men are dying than women from Covid-19 around the world — but that’s not exactly cause for celebration."

I mean seriously?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:52 pm

Thorin wrote:
eddie wrote:Very interesting actually. Those points hadn’t occurred to me properly until now.

Yes those points are very valid and needed to be said.

It was this comment that was truely shocking which I highlighted

"It’s true that more men are dying than women from Covid-19 around the world — but that’s not exactly cause for celebration."

I mean seriously?

Yes it’s a pretty fucking stupid thing to say.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri May 01, 2020 3:39 am

Interesting. I had a different reaction to that quote. I think they were saying ok so more men are dying but that shouldn’t make women happy. Or complacent.

Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down