NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning languages...

+4
Cass
Eilzel
Ben Reilly
eddie
8 posters

Go down

Learning languages... Empty Learning languages...

Post by eddie Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:51 am

My son and I were discussing languages tonight, his girlfriend is Lithuanian and he made a joke and said he really should learn the language, even though she’s fluent in English and insists that no one speaks Lithuanian except Lithuanians. Laughing

I love different languages, I am pretty adept at learning them too.

I know a little French, I’m learning Romanian and I know a smidgeon of Polish (very difficult language). I also learned sign language a couple of years back - but I can’t practice it as I don’t know anyone deaf. Neutral

What languages can you speak and/or which languages would you like to learn?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Learning languages... Empty Re: Learning languages...

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:57 am

I haven't studied Spanish in far too long, so I'm surprised at how much of it has stuck. I think part of it might be from growing up in Texas, where I heard a lot of Spanish and saw a lot of stuff written in it -- when you go to the grocery store and see the little pylons where they've mopped, they read: "Caution, wet floor" and "Cuidado, piso mojado." It's just everywhere you look in Texas.

I wish I could speak most of the major languages, in particular Russian, French and Chinese. 

You (edds) have picked up a lot of Romanian and a fair amount of Polish where you work! It impresses me.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:00 am

One time I looked at Ben and very huskily said,

“Unsprezece...” (pronounced oon-spray-Zeshay)

He said, “Yeah? That’s hot, what did you just say to me?”

I said, “It’s Romanian for ‘eleven’”

HAHAHAHAHAHHA. Made all my Romanian colleagues laugh the next day. Now, that is my nickname at work.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:01 am

eddie wrote:One time I looked at Ben and very huskily said,

“Unsprezece...” (pronounced oon-spray-Zeshay)

He said, “Yeah? That’s hot, what did you just say to me?”

I said, “It’s Romanian for ‘eleven’”

HAHAHAHAHAHHA. Made all my Romanian colleagues laugh the next day. Now, that is my nickname at work.

It gave me a tingle  Wink
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:24 am

My Thai is around elementary level. I even wrote a simple two page short story in Thai last year, was pretty chuffed with it Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:27 am

Eilzel wrote:My Thai is around elementary level. I even wrote a simple two page short story in Thai last year, was pretty chuffed with it Smile

That's impressive, especially since East Asian languages are so different from Indo-European ones.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:43 am

Eilzel wrote:My Thai is around elementary level. I even wrote a simple two page short story in Thai last year, was pretty chuffed with it Smile

Woah. That’s very impressive! I’m seriously impressed. And a little jealous of your talent....Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:00 am

I always wanted to learn Russian and Japanese. But those alphabets??? Forget it.

I can do a bit of French, Dutch, German and Spanish. I used to know a bit of Greek after living in Cyprus but it’s gone.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:26 am

For my PhD, I had to show proficiency in French, Spanish and Fortran IV.  In most universities in the US you have to show abilities in three different languages in order to get a PhD.

I was lucky...they had just included computer language in the list, just before I came up for testing. My brother had to show proficiency in French, Spanish and German.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:54 am

I can speak English, Black Country and Brummygen ,nothing else needed !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:58 am

nicko wrote:I can speak English, Black Country and Brummygen ,nothing else needed !

lol!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:52 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

That's impressive, especially since East Asian languages are so different from Indo-European ones.

It was very weird learning to read. All these weird swirly lines everywhere started to become words with meanings. Like a whole new dimension to life opened up lol

I remember the first time outside a chemist's I saw ยา
Which is YAA.
I'd only just started learning letters but could read that as Yaa and knew Yaa was medicine. Big moments from small things haha
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:53 pm

eddie wrote:

Woah. That’s very impressive! I’m seriously impressed. And a little jealous of your talent....Shocked  

Yeah. Shame it took me 4 years living here to start formal lessons though lol. Though I've been able to order food, give directions etc for a while. It's the tones in Thai that make is hardest to really nail.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:55 pm

Cass wrote:I always wanted to learn Russian and Japanese. But those alphabets??? Forget it.

I can do a bit of French, Dutch, German and Spanish. I used to know a bit of Greek after living in Cyprus but it’s gone.

Japanese always sounds awesome, though that may be cause I'm a Japanese gaming geek lol
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:

Yeah. Shame it took me 4 years living here to start formal lessons though lol. Though I've been able to order food, give directions etc for a while.

It's the tones in Thai that make is hardest to really nail.

Yeah I’ve heard that about the Mandarin language. I used to work with a Chinese guy who was learning Mandarin and he said it was all about the lilt in your voice, it made all the difference, the intonation of the word.
He tried to teach me but my head exploded all over the place.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:43 pm

Vietnamese is like that -- plenty of barbers in Texas are called "Hot Toc," which I learned is Vietnamese for "hair cut." But apparently you say it HOAT toak. I don't know if it means something different if you don't pronounce it that way.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri May 01, 2020 12:48 am

The biggest gaff in Thai can be Soi. Which with rising intonation is beautiful, but falling is bad luck. Not what you want to say to impress someone lol
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2020 12:55 am

I would love to learn Irish Gaelic and I have to say that because English is the universal language of business. It allows for a lazy attitude in this country by some people to not bother to learn other languages. Myself included.

Some people when abroad expect people to speak English instead of attempting to learn at least a basic understanding of the country they visit. I do at least try to learn some basic words, but I really am crap at languages. Which most people can tell by my poor grammar in English

Huge respect to those who take the time to want to learn other languages.

I would also like to sign up to a course Black Country and Brummygen Nicko|?

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri May 01, 2020 6:26 am

Yow aint' serious are thow our kid ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2020 1:14 pm

nicko wrote:Yow aint' serious are thow our kid ?

Of course mate  Laughing

How is your breathing by the way mate?

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri May 01, 2020 3:20 pm

Better than it was Didge, just a bit more breathless when I move. Hernia is more painful, had an appointment for an Endoscopy but it was cancelled,seems like only the Virus is being treated !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 pm

nicko wrote:Better than it was Didge, just a bit more breathless when I move. Hernia is more painful, had an appointment for an Endoscopy but it was cancelled,seems like only the Virus is being treated !

Sorry to hear mate.

They should allow you medical cannabis

That would help with the pain

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri May 01, 2020 4:12 pm

The lungs are such a bad drug delivery device, that I suspect that today, with the virus and all, they are frowning on that.

Is there a cannabis pill?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri May 01, 2020 5:44 pm

nicko wrote:Better than it was Didge, just a bit more breathless when I move. Hernia is more painful, had an appointment for an Endoscopy but it was cancelled,seems like only the Virus is being treated !

I’m sos prey Nicko. Hopefully they will soon start allowing operations there like here. Xx
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri May 01, 2020 8:25 pm

I speak german, french, some dutch,a little greek, and a little welsh, FFS how many more do folks think i should learn

oh forgot to say very fluent gibberish too, espeshuli aftr a pnt owr thour hic!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 02, 2020 12:09 am

Thorin wrote:I would love to learn Irish Gaelic and I have to say that because English is the universal language of business. It allows for a lazy attitude in this country by some people to not bother to learn other languages. Myself included.

Some people when abroad expect people to speak English instead of attempting to learn at least a basic understanding of the country they visit. I do at least try to learn some basic words, but I really am crap at languages. Which most people can tell by my poor grammar in English

Huge respect to those who take the time to want to learn other languages.

I would also like to sign up to a course Black Country and Brummygen Nicko|?

Smile

Lovely honest post.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 02, 2020 12:17 am

Eilzel wrote:The biggest gaff in Thai can be Soi. Which with rising intonation is beautiful, but falling is bad luck. Not what you want to say to impress someone lol

It's like the language sets you up to fail 😂😂
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 02, 2020 12:26 pm

I am useless, I am the one whichever country I am in, who speaks English very slowly, I do give eye contact, smile, and use my hands a fair bit....and most times I can be understood, that's down to the locals patience more than my charades though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 02, 2020 8:28 pm

I had a substitute teacher in school one time who started off the class with:

"Everyone be quiet now, please. And for those of you who speak foreign -- CHUT UP!!!!!!"

I think it was the "speak foreign" part that cracked me up the most.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 pm

Syl wrote:I am useless, I am the one whichever country I am in, who speaks English very slowly, I do give eye contact, smile, and use my hands a fair bit....and most times I can be understood, that's down to the locals patience more than my charades though.

I’m a manager where I work and three of my immediate staff are Romanian so it was just easier to learn Romanian - it really pleases and amuses my Romanian colleagues no end - it’s a pretty easy language. I find languages quite easy actually and I enjoy learning them.
My bus driver in the mornings is also Romanian so I say good morning and ask how he is. He also finds it amusing. I’m guessing that not many people bother to learn their language here so they find it charming and I do like to charm people. Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 02, 2020 8:49 pm

I was at a Mexican grocery one time in Texas and the man taking my deli order said, "No tiene papel!" when his register failed to print a receipt. I surprised myself by unthinkingly responding, "That's okay, I don't need a receipt." His eyebrows went right up  Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down