NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boris Johnson praises FOREIGNERS who helped save his life

+4
Syl
Victorismyhero
eddie
Ben Reilly
8 posters

Go down

Boris Johnson praises FOREIGNERS who helped save his life Empty Boris Johnson praises FOREIGNERS who helped save his life

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:25 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The nurses who cared for Boris Johnson while he was in intensive care for coronavirus have been praised for their efforts working on the frontline of the pandemic.

Mr Johnson was discharged from St Thomas’ in central London earlier today, after spending three of seven nights on the ICU and said there was ‘no question’ that the NHS saved his life.

Speaking in a video released shortly after he was discharged, the PM admitted there was a 48-hour period when things ‘could have gone either way’.

He thanked the medical staff who stayed by his bedside and helped him recover, in particular nurses Jenny McGee, from New Zealand, and Portuguese Luis Pitarma.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/12/boris-praises-kiwi-portuguese-nurses-saved-life-intensive-care-12547610/?ito=cbshare
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Boris Johnson praises FOREIGNERS who helped save his life Empty Re: Boris Johnson praises FOREIGNERS who helped save his life

Post by eddie Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:27 am

Hmmmm. The newspaper had to mention their country of birth?

Who Fucking cares?

Oh, the media does. Rolling Eyes
Well done foreigners. Says the media.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Boris Johnson praises FOREIGNERS who helped save his life Empty Re: Boris Johnson praises FOREIGNERS who helped save his life

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:29 am

Boris mentioned it specifically, even down to the town they came from, but then Boris isnt your archetypal Tory by any means.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:32 am

The NHS refer to themselves, and think of themselves as a family.

Pity other people, especially in times of crisis try to divide that family.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:33 am

Victorismyhero wrote:Boris mentioned it specifically, even down to the town they came from, but then Boris isnt your archetypal Tory by any means.....

Why does someone have to mention where someone came from? Seems a bit licky-arse to me.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:34 am

With so many people out there constantly bashing immigrants and treating them like parasitic bringers of disease, I can see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with pointing out that immigrants help and do good as well.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:35 am

Glad of me is glad he said it because he’s being genuine, half of me thinks it’s a political play. And I wish I didn’t think that about my second point but this while COVID-19 has made me extremely cynical.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:40 am

Cass wrote:Glad of me is glad he said it because he’s being genuine, half of me thinks it’s a political play. And I wish I didn’t think that about my second point but this while COVID-19 has made me extremely cynical.

It’s just a bit arse-licky. No one needs to know where these nurses come from. Especially not in one of his first statements. It’s like he’s saying “Ooooh look at me! I love foreigners I do!”

So? What’s the story here? How we should know that foreign people are hard workers??

I can tell a story about a good person without mentioning race, colour or creed.

But perhaps that’s because I don’t feel I have to. Boris Johnson praises FOREIGNERS who helped save his life 2190311264

Anyway, good for all the nurses involved. Even those that were English. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:44 am

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:Glad of me is glad he said it because he’s being genuine, half of me thinks it’s a political play. And I wish I didn’t think that about my second point but this while COVID-19 has made me extremely cynical.

It’s just a bit arse-licky. No one needs to know where these nurses come from. Especially not in one of his first statements. It’s like he’s saying “Ooooh look at me! I love foreigners I do!”

So? What’s the story here? How we should know that foreign people are hard workers??

I can tell a story about a good person without mentioning race, colour or creed.

But perhaps that’s because I don’t  feel I have to. Boris Johnson praises FOREIGNERS who helped save his life 2190311264

Anyway, good for all the nurses involved. Even those that were English. Rolling Eyes

I'm sure plenty of English people helped too, but it's good to acknowlege that immigrants aren't just a scourge on society, like so many people say they are. When there's one group being very vocal about how bad immigrants are, it's good to have a counter-narrative that paints a more accurate picture.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:47 am

Ben Reilly wrote:With so many people out there constantly bashing immigrants and treating them like parasitic bringers of disease, I can see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with pointing out that immigrants help and do good as well.

Right, it readdresses the balance. Immigrants generally deal with a lot of crap from the media and a lot of politicians.

^agree, Vic, while I'm no fan of Boris, he is certainly a great deal better than the archetypal Tory!
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:51 am

I see your points Ben and Les but it smacks of:

“Guess what? We have hardworking people that aren’t English! Let’s talk about that and not about the NHS in general”

Or

“She’s a great worker. And she’s black!”

It’s so blah. It’s so “let’s make a big deal of it”

Let people think for themselves. It’s degrading to foreigners actually.

But what do I know? I’m white.

Adios amigos! I used a different language! See how accepting I am!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:55 am

eddie wrote:I see your points Ben and Les but it smacks of:

“Guess what? We have hardworking people that aren’t English! Let’s talk about that and not about the NHS in general”

Or

But what do I know?  I’m white.

Adios amigos!  I used a different language! See how accepting I am!

I saw it more as a story about how a PM who is often seen as anti-immigrants (fairly or unfairly) had the decency to acknowlege that a pair of immigrants helped save his life.

But what do I know, I'm just a wanna-be immigrant! Buenas noches, muchachos y muchachas.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:59 am

Really seems to have gone over well in Portugal:

A statement issued by the Portuguese president’s office said:

‘Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa would like to highlight the special recognition the British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has given Portuguese nurse Luis Pitarma for his work and care during his time in intensive care.

‘The President of the Republic has already personally transmitted his gratitude to the nurse Luis Pitarma and in his name, he also thanks the commitment of all Portuguese health professionals who in Portugal and around the world are providing decisive help in the fight to the pandemic.

‘A word of encouragement that is also addressed to professionals of other nationalities who, reinforcing the National Health Service, provide an invaluable service to Portugal.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/12/boris-praises-kiwi-portuguese-nurses-saved-life-intensive-care-12547610/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:08 am

Or

The UK public, media and government have admirably shown huge appreciation for the whole NHS and all its staff the last few weeks. It makes a nice change and is wonderful to see.

But can you not see how in the face of fairly constant attacks on immigrants by the establishment, this comes as a breath of fresh air?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:12 am

Eilzel wrote:

Or

The UK public, media and government have admirably shown huge appreciation for the whole NHS and all its staff the last few weeks. It makes a nice change and is wonderful to see.

But can you not see how in the face of fairly constant attacks on immigrants by the establishment, this comes as a breath of fresh air?

Like Eddie, I see and understand both yours and Ben’s opinions. I guess I’m a cross between you two and Eddie.

It’s just...
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:33 am

The newspaper mentioned that the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom mentioned that the nurses were immigrants. He made a big deal of it, so I suppose that's why the newspaper did.

Besides, I see nothing wrong with the occasional story that reminds people that immigrants aren't scum. There are certainly plenty of other stories that only show the negative side of immigration.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:06 am

Cass wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Or

Like Eddie, I see and understand both yours and Ben’s opinions. I guess I’m a cross between you two and Eddie.

It’s just...

Oh I'm totally sure there's an element of political play going on, but that can be said of everything said by a politician, but the message is more important for me.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:48 am

eddie wrote:
Victorismyhero wrote:Boris mentioned it specifically, even down to the town they came from, but then Boris isnt your archetypal Tory by any means.....

Why does someone have to mention where someone came from? Seems a bit licky-arse to me.

He's on the right end of the spectrum. It provides him cover from those on the left.

It's how things work.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:46 am

I have listened now to the full interview he gave.
I think he was honestly just so grateful to the NHS, and to those two nurses particularly, who sat with him, tended him and helped to pull him through, that he probably formed a bond with them and wanted to thank them....he named them and where they came from just to pay tribute to them.

I believe that's the case here, but if there is a balance between being gullible or cynical, I would rather fall on the gullible side, it makes the world a nicer place to live in.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:With so many people out there constantly bashing immigrants and treating them like parasitic bringers of disease, I can see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with pointing out that immigrants help and do good as well.

It also matters, too, if there is truth behind the narrative. In your story about Obama and Afghanistan, Ben, whether he visited the troops or not, the memo is only about spin. He did what he did.

The right actually lies, or speaks abstractly enough that it can't be disproved: immigrants are vermin, they are dirty, they bring disease with them, they are rapists and criminals, etc. Or, they pull up one story or incident, and then generalize that all immigrants are this way. You can't generalize from specifics, but they do it all the time.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:13 pm

Ah, meh, pfff... in either case, whether I’m right or wrong or a little right and a little wrong I wouldn’t say that my views (and Cass’), were bad, horrible or disgusting.
They’re just opinions.

I’ve said my piece. Perhaps I’m wrong, or right...we will never know his intentions or the media’s intentions, in this article.

Good for the NHS. The real heroes of this piece.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:42 pm

From my perspective as someone who's trying to immigrate into the UK, I see this country's government as quite skeptical about immigration and as being inclined to make it harder and harder and harder for people like me to ever be able to live here -- regardless of who they are or why they want to move here.

So to me, to see the leader of that government gushing about two immigrant nurses who literally helped save his life -- it gave me some small hope that maybe the attitude of the UK government could change in regards to immigration; that maybe it won't be so hard for me to be able to move here.

I do think that it's good for the media to publish positive stories about immigrants along with all the negative stories. Just like I think it's good for the media to publish positive stories about any group of people who get bashed a lot.

The media has to take a lot of responsibility for being the lens through which people see the world beyond their immediate horizon. It has to strive to tell a well-rounded story about everything people are interested in, in order to help people reach their own conclusions and opinions about such issues.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:43 pm

You’re probably right. Who knows?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:53 pm

eddie wrote:You’re probably right. Who knows?

Well, if I'm wrong, then I trust someone will come along with a well-reasoned argument as to why I'm wrong. If not, then what is the point of debate?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:57 pm

Darling, no one needs or come along to back your point. You believe it or you don’t. I love you

Now I take my leave as I don’t have anything further to add, nor do I have “links” or “this guy” or “this source”.

Gluten tag. Razz .
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:46 pm

eddie wrote:Darling, no one needs or come along to back your point. You believe it or you don’t. I love you

Now I take my leave as I don’t have anything further to add, nor do I have “links” or “this guy” or “this source”.

Gluten tag. Razz .  

How would I even use links or "this guy" or "this source" to support what I'm saying?

I never asked anyone to back me up. I don't need that.

I just want people to listen to what I have to say, think about it, and respond without ego. Allow for the smallest possibility that I might actually have a valid point to make.

Otherwise, what's the point in debating? Or even in talking?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:52 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:From my perspective as someone who's trying to immigrate into the UK, I see this country's government as quite skeptical about immigration and as being inclined to make it harder and harder and harder for people like me to ever be able to live here -- regardless of who they are or why they want to move here.

So to me, to see the leader of that government gushing about two immigrant nurses who literally helped save his life -- it gave me some small hope that maybe the attitude of the UK government could change in regards to immigration; that maybe it won't be so hard for me to be able to move here.

I do think that it's good for the media to publish positive stories about immigrants along with all the negative stories. Just like I think it's good for the media to publish positive stories about any group of people who get bashed a lot.

The media has to take a lot of responsibility for being the lens through which people see the world beyond their immediate horizon. It has to strive to tell a well-rounded story about everything people are interested in, in order to help people reach their own conclusions and opinions about such issues.

Aren't their like millions of immigrants in the UK?

I guess EU citizens (until recently) and commonwealth citizens have a leg up on Americans.

Or do they possess a needed skill?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:59 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:From my perspective as someone who's trying to immigrate into the UK, I see this country's government as quite skeptical about immigration and as being inclined to make it harder and harder and harder for people like me to ever be able to live here -- regardless of who they are or why they want to move here.

I guess EU citizens (until recently) and commonwealth citizens have a leg up on Americans.

EU citizens have enjoyed freedom of movement to and from the UK with no restrictions on skills, etc. Americans have no such freedom over here.

In order to qualify for a two-and-a-half-years spouse visa, eddie needs to prove to the government that she earns £18,600 per year. That figure is significantly more than the average British citizen earns.

At the end of two and a half years, we would have to prove that we're earning the same amount combined to qualify for an extension of another two and a half years.

After those five years, I will be qualified to apply for "permanent leave to remain," which means I get all the rights of a British citizen besides voting.

At which point, I can pay a bunch more money and sit the test for British citizenship.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:04 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

EU citizens have enjoyed freedom of movement to and from the UK with no restrictions on skills, etc. Americans have no such freedom over here.

In order to qualify for a two-and-a-half-years spouse visa, eddie needs to prove to the government that she earns £18,600 per year. That figure is significantly more than the average British citizen earns.

At the end of two and a half years, we would have to prove that we're earning the same amount combined to qualify for an extension of another two and a half years.

After those five years, I will be qualified to apply for "permanent leave to remain," which means I get all the rights of a British citizen besides voting.

At which point, I can pay a bunch more money and sit the test for British citizenship.

I also think commonwealth citizens have some sort of advantage too.

Maybe you should try to become a Canadian first. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:42 am

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I also think commonwealth citizens have some sort of advantage too.

Maybe you should try to become a Canadian first. Cool

Nah.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down