NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Barclay brothers at war with the younger family members, crisis or the end of the Daily Telegraph

5 posters

Go down

The Barclay brothers at war with the younger family members, crisis or the end of the Daily Telegraph Empty The Barclay brothers at war with the younger family members, crisis or the end of the Daily Telegraph

Post by Guest Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:36 pm

The Telegraph, or Torygraph as it is most commonly know appears to be in a world of trouble.
Not least because by slavishly brown nosing its support for Boris Johnson, it has taken its eye off the ball in respect of what it's readers want.
It seems to be a publication is steep decline in its readership, plummeting sales figures and a editor who cannot determine what his readers want to hear.
More here.
Slavish support for Boris Johnson has turned the Telegraph into a joke

https://www.theguardian.com/media/commentisfree/2020/mar/01/barclay-brothers-face-struggle-to-sell-the-telegraph-titles?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Last edited by Brutus on Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Barclay brothers at war with the younger family members, crisis or the end of the Daily Telegraph Empty Re: The Barclay brothers at war with the younger family members, crisis or the end of the Daily Telegraph

Post by Maddog Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Brutus wrote:The Telegraph, or Torygraph as it is most commonly know appears to be in a world of trouble.
Not least because by slavishly brown nosing its support for Boris Johnson, it gas taken its eye off the ball in respect of what it's readers want.
It seems to be a publication is steep decline in its readership, plummeting sales figures and a editor who cannot determine what his readers want to hear.
More here.
Slavish support for Boris Johnson has turned the Telegraph into a joke

https://www.theguardian.com/media/commentisfree/2020/mar/01/barclay-brothers-face-struggle-to-sell-the-telegraph-titles?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Most old print media is in trouble. Regardless of their slant.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

The Barclay brothers at war with the younger family members, crisis or the end of the Daily Telegraph Empty Re: The Barclay brothers at war with the younger family members, crisis or the end of the Daily Telegraph

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:01 pm

The Barclay brothers at war with the younger family members, crisis or the end of the Daily Telegraph 4086978286

If the decline continues for long enough, Freddie might be able to buy his own newspaper company by the end of the year...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:13 pm

'Wolfie wrote:The Barclay brothers at war with the younger family members, crisis or the end of the Daily Telegraph 4086978286

If the decline continues for long enough, Freddie might be able to buy his own newspaper company by the end of the year...

If, God forbid, "Freddie" wanted to own a newspaper company it most certainly wouldn't be one that included national newspapers. My career as a hack was spent - out of choice - in the provincial Press apart from a brief "between jobs" interlude when I worked part time for the Daily Mail. I was far too concerned with the ethics of journalism to earn my crust permanently in Fleet Street.

Having only just caught up with this (and other threads), Storm Ciara, or whatever the strange name for it was, having effectively robbed me of both phone landline and broadband for three weeks by blowing down my telephone pole, I couldn't help smiling at Brutus's choice of the oh-so-pure Left-leaning Guardian as a source of the thread's critique of the Brothers Barclay.

While holding no brief for the pair, I can't resist reminding those with shorter memories that over the years Guardian Media Group has proved itself most adapt at creative accounting where its tax affairs are concerned, investing huge sums in offshore hedge funds and, most notoriously, avoiding having to pay a hell of a lot of Corporation Tax on the lucrative sale of one of its most successful trade magazines by using a tax-exempt shell company in the Cayman Islands.

The then editor Alan Rushbridger actually boasted publicly that it was "right and proper"!

And then, of course, there's the case of the one time owner of the Left-leaning Daily Mirror, Labour MP Robert Maxwell, who actually stole his employees' pension funds before mysteriously disappearing over the side of his luxury yacht one night. And, of course, we all know of "Cap'n Bob's" socialite daughter Ghislaine and some of her rather unsavory friends.

Oh dear.....
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:34 pm

Fred M. wrote:The then editor Alan Rushbridger actually boasted publicly that it was "right and proper"!

We, too, via Trump, are finding out that the laws and regulations are only for the unwashed, little people. The wealthy simply rewrite the laws.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:46 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Fred M. wrote:The then editor Alan Rushbridger actually boasted publicly that it was "right and proper"!

We, too, via Trump, are finding out that the laws and regulations are only for the unwashed, little people.  The wealthy simply rewrite the laws.

I always remember being told by a particularly objectionable something-in-the-city type to whom I was once introduced "only little people pay tax."

Fortunately, he wasn't typical of the "wealthy" that I know and even, in some cases, to whom I am related.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:26 pm

So true. The rich are above paying taxes. Even if they are in the wrong, they'll prolong things and outlast the revenuer.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:23 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
'Wolfie wrote:The Barclay brothers at war with the younger family members, crisis or the end of the Daily Telegraph 4086978286

If, God forbid, "Freddie" wanted to own a newspaper company it most certainly wouldn't be one that included national newspapers. My career as a hack was spent - out of choice - in the provincial Press apart from a brief "between jobs" interlude when I worked part time for the Daily Mail. I was far too concerned with the ethics of journalism to earn my crust permanently in Fleet Street.

Having only just caught up with this (and other threads), Storm Ciara, or whatever the strange name for it was, having effectively robbed me of both phone landline and broadband for three weeks by blowing down my telephone pole, I couldn't help smiling at Brutus's choice of the oh-so-pure Left-leaning Guardian as a source of the thread's critique  of the Brothers Barclay.

While holding no brief for the pair, I can't resist reminding those with shorter memories that over the years Guardian Media Group has proved itself most adapt at creative accounting where its tax affairs are concerned, investing huge sums in offshore hedge funds and, most notoriously, avoiding having to pay a hell of a lot of Corporation Tax on the lucrative sale of one of its most successful trade magazines by using a tax-exempt shell company in the Cayman Islands.

The then editor Alan Rushbridger actually boasted publicly that it was "right and proper"!

And then, of course, there's the case of the one time owner of the Left-leaning Daily Mirror, Labour MP Robert Maxwell, who actually stole his employees' pension funds before mysteriously disappearing over the side of his luxury yacht one night. And, of course, we all know of "Cap'n Bob's" socialite daughter Ghislaine and some of her rather unsavory friends.

Oh dear.....
I am neither left or right politically.
I don't like social injustice, I don't like crooks in high office and I think global warming, just like Corovirus is a real threat and an clear and present danger.
My instinct says the printed broadsheets will be almost obsolete within 10 years, whilst the red top rags, The Mirror, Sun, Mail, Express and Star will be thin gruel  with poor circulation, massively overtaken by online news, which is cheaper to produce, is free of charge to distribute and is bang up to date.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:13 am

Brutus wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Having only just caught up with this (and other threads), Storm Ciara, or whatever the strange name for it was, having effectively robbed me of both phone landline and broadband for three weeks by blowing down my telephone pole, I couldn't help smiling at Brutus's choice of the oh-so-pure Left-leaning Guardian as a source of the thread's critique  of the Brothers Barclay.

Oh dear.....
I am neither left or right politically.
I don't like social injustice, I don't like crooks in high office and I think global warming, just like Corovirus is a real threat and an clear and present danger.
My instinct says the printed broadsheets will be almost obsolete within 10 years, whilst the red top rags, The Mirror, Sun, Mail, Express and Star will be thin gruel  with poor circulation, massively overtaken by online news, which is cheaper to produce, is free of charge to distribute and is bang up to date.

Yeah newspapers are just dying a slow death. Apparently even the Sun, by far the UK's best selling rag (a shameful fact), is also losing money.

Only the Guardian and (sadly) the Daily Mail seem to have already transitioned effectively to online media and will probably survive well as two of Britain's most read online news outlets. And unlike the Times, Telegraph, Independent etc, they didn't need a paywall to make money.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:15 am

On the Torygraph specifically, I'll be glad to see it pass. It's headline of Boris's baby yesterday, over covid19 and the Home Office bullying resignation, just shows was a propaganda piss paper it has become.

Sad to see from a once great broadsheet.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down