NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The first Mexicans to become Americans

2 posters

Go down

The first Mexicans to become Americans Empty The first Mexicans to become Americans

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:02 pm

From listening to Trump and his supporters, you'd think that Mexicans and people of Mexican heritage were a relatively new -- and unpopular -- addition to the American melting pot.

The first Mexicans to become Americans, however, were people who lived more than 150 years ago.

The very first Mexicans to become Americans, in 1845, numbered several thousand and had previously been Texan, or as they called themselves, Tejanos. They became American citizens when the Republic of Texas, which had won its independence from Mexico a decade prior, become the 28th state to join the U.S.

The annexation of Texas triggered the Mexican-American war the following year, after which the U.S. gained a huge swath of territory from Mexico, including the modern states of New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California. Tens of thousands of Mexicans became American citizens in the process.

Thus, the first Mexican-Americans didn't cross a border; the border crossed them.

They have been American more than a century longer than the states of Alaska and Hawaii have been American, and have been American roughly as long as most Americans with Irish or German ancestry have been American.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The first Mexicans to become Americans Empty Re: The first Mexicans to become Americans

Post by Maddog Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:06 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:From listening to Trump and his supporters, you'd think that Mexicans and people of Mexican heritage were a relatively new -- and unpopular -- addition to the American melting pot.

The first Mexicans to become Americans, however, were people who lived more than 150 years ago.

The very first Mexicans to become Americans, in 1845, numbered several thousand and had previously been Texan, or as they called themselves, Tejanos. They became American citizens when the Republic of Texas, which had won its independence from Mexico a decade prior, become the 28th state to join the U.S.

The annexation of Texas triggered the Mexican-American war the following year, after which the U.S. gained a huge swath of territory from Mexico, including the modern states of New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California. Tens of thousands of Mexicans became American citizens in the process.

Thus, the first Mexican-Americans didn't cross a border; the border crossed them.

They have been American more than a century longer than the states of Alaska and Hawaii have been American, and have been American roughly as long as most Americans with Irish or German ancestry have been American.

Juan Seguin event fought for Texas Independence.

Wonder why Obama deported so many Mexicans?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

The first Mexicans to become Americans Empty Re: The first Mexicans to become Americans

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Because they crossed the border illegally, obviously.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:11 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Because they crossed the border illegally, obviously.

Same as any president then. Glad we got that straightened out.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:13 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:Because they crossed the border illegally, obviously.

When did I say anything any different?

If you'd like to delve into this a bit more, I thought Bush's amnesty plan was pretty good -- too bad his supporters revolted against him. What do you think?

Reagan's amnesty program was quite effective as well.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

If you'd like to delve into this a bit more, I thought Bush's amnesty plan was pretty good -- too bad his supporters revolted against him. What do you think?

I think Gary Johnson had the best plan. But too many Americans decided that the bitch Hiilary or the lunatic Trump was better option.

Glad I can proudly state I dont fall into those two camps.

Gotta run.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:28 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I think Gary Johnson had the best plan. But too many Americans decided that the bitch Hiilary or the lunatic Trump was better option.

Gotta run.  

The reason almost nobody heard about Johnson goes far beyond Clinton and Trump -- the two-party monopoly is to blame there. But that's pretty far off-topic.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Gotta run.  

The reason almost nobody heard about Johnson goes far beyond Clinton and Trump -- the two-party monopoly is to blame there. But that's pretty far off-topic.

People heard about him. He just didnt promise to save them from what they feared, so his message didnt resonate.

The US is too far gone at this point.

My hope is that RBG retires soon and lives 50 more years. Trump replaces her with someone like Gorsuch who understands the constitution. Bernie pulls off the upset and AOC becomes speaker of the house. Then let's get this party started.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down