NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This food might make you live longer -- if you can take the heat

5 posters

Go down

This food might make you live longer -- if you can take the heat Empty This food might make you live longer -- if you can take the heat

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:35 am

Researchers at the Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont, found that consumption of hot red chili peppers is associated with a 13 per cent reduction in total mortality - primarily in deaths due to heart disease or stroke.

Using National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey (NHANES) III data collected from more than 16,000 Americans who were followed for up to 23 years, medical student Mustafa Chopan and Professor of Medicine Benjamin Littenberg, M.D., examined the baseline characteristics of the participants according to hot red chili pepper consumption.

They found that consumers of hot red chili peppers tended to be "younger, male, white, Mexican-American, married, and to smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, and consume more vegetables and meats, and had lower HDL-cholesterol, lower income, and less education," in comparison to participants who did not consume red chili peppers.

They examined data from a median follow-up of 18.9 years and observed the number of deaths and then analysed specific causes of death.

"Although the mechanism by which peppers could delay mortality is far from certain, Transient Receptor Potential (TRP) channels, which are primary receptors for pungent agents such as capsaicin (the principal component in chili peppers), may in part be responsible for the observed relationship," said the study authors.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1168383/how-to-live-longer-health-diet-chili-peppers

There must be a reason some people crave foods like this -- now we see more advantages to eating hot chilies (others that have already been found include improving circulation and reducing inflammation).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

This food might make you live longer -- if you can take the heat Empty Re: This food might make you live longer -- if you can take the heat

Post by eddie Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:48 am

Chillis and other hot spices also help clear airways and help people cough up phlegm - which is the enemy of the human body (think milk, cheese and dairy...all make people produce too much phlegm).

I can see chillis being a superfood. Most naturally brightly-coloured foods are good for us.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

This food might make you live longer -- if you can take the heat Empty Re: This food might make you live longer -- if you can take the heat

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:02 am

eddie wrote:Chillis and other hot spices also help clear airways and  help people cough up phlegm - which is the enemy of the human body (think milk, cheese and dairy...all make people produce too much phlegm).

I can see chillis being a superfood. Most naturally brightly-coloured foods are good for us.

Poor chilies, they evolved their heat to keep from being eaten, just to have humans (and some apes) come along and develop a taste for them Laughing

But they're great in many ways. It's even been shown that eating chilies causes the brain to release the same endorphins as exercise does. You can literally chill out on chilies!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:36 am

I ate Chilies once, I now understand what "ring of fire" means !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:07 pm

really the devil

I prefer to consume my chillies in chilli sauces, and in things like pies and tacos/stews/casseroles...

P.S. the concept of "superfoods" !!! Populist unscientific bulldust, and spawn of internet scammers-- no genuine nutritionist/dietician will use that nonsensical term..

This food might make you live longer -- if you can take the heat 3922118137
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:46 am

'Wolfie wrote: really the devil

I prefer to consume my chillies in chilli sauces, and in things like pies and tacos/stews/casseroles...

P.S.  the concept of "superfoods"  !!!   Populist unscientific bulldust, and spawn of internet scammers--  no genuine nutritionist/dietician will use that nonsensical term..

This food might make you live longer -- if you can take the heat 3922118137

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/10-superfoods-to-boost-a-healthy-diet-2018082914463

I eat all of them by the way. Perhaps that explains my super attitude. tongue
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:18 am

Superior attitude you mean Laughing
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:45 pm

nicko wrote:Superior attitude you mean Laughing

Sometimes superior, usually super. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down