NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swedish town introduces £21 licence for beggars

3 posters

Go down

Swedish town introduces £21 licence for beggars Empty Swedish town introduces £21 licence for beggars

Post by Guest Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:10 am

Beggars in a Swedish town will have to a permit before being allowed to panhandle for money.

The scheme, the first of its kind in the country, has been introduced in Eskilstuna, a town of nearly 70,000 inhabitants about 90 miles west of Stockholm.

Costing 250 Swedish Kroner (£21), the permit will be valid for three months and is available online. Unlicenced beggars can be fined up to SEK 4,000 (£342).

The scheme was approved by the city council in June 2018. Backed by the majority Social Democrat, Moderate and Centre coalition, it was opposed by the Left Party, Green Party, Liberals and Christian Democrats.

Begging in Sweden has been a subject of political controversy for years, with some calling for a nationwide ban.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/05/swedish-town-introduces-licences-beggars/

Back to top Go down

Swedish town introduces £21 licence for beggars Empty Re: Swedish town introduces £21 licence for beggars

Post by JulesV Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Seems fair.

Everyone needs to contribute to society if they can ……. including beggars, buskers, hookers etc. 

I have always admired the unflinching pragmatism of the Swedes.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Swedish town introduces £21 licence for beggars Empty Re: Swedish town introduces £21 licence for beggars

Post by eddie Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:52 pm

If someone is poor enough to resort to begging, how are they going to afford this fee?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 pm

eddie wrote:If someone is poor enough to resort to begging, how are they going to afford this fee?

Not everyone who begs is poor. It's just their chosen way to make a living, which is on their terms, when they like. No alarm clocks, no bosses, no bullshit.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:If someone is poor enough to resort to begging, how are they going to afford this fee?

Not everyone who begs is poor. It's just their chosen way to make a living, which is on their terms, when they like. No alarm clocks, no bosses, no bullshit.  

Yes I know that, but many are not.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:01 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Well, the Swedes are fond of handing out free stuff. Someone has to pay for it.

I will admit that they are honest about it. They charge everyone and don't pretend that only the wealthy will pay for it.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Also, many of the homeless around me will not beg. But many with homes will.

It's complicated.

I think the Swedes are looking at this like people running their own small business.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down