NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned

Go down

'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned Empty 'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:34 pm

A ban on adverts featuring "harmful gender stereotypes" or those which are likely to cause "serious or widespread offence" has come into force.

The ban covers scenarios such as a man with his feet up while a woman cleans, or a woman failing to park a car.

The UK's advertising watchdog introduced the ban because it found some portrayals could play a part in "limiting people's potential".

It said it was pleased with how advertisers had responded.

The new rule follows a review of gender stereotyping in adverts by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) - the organisation that administers the UK Advertising Codes, which cover both broadcast and non-broadcast adverts, including online and social media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48628678

Back to top Go down

'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned Empty Re: 'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned

Post by Vintage Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Does that include Reginald Molehusband I wonder?

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned Empty Re: 'Harmful' gender stereotypes in adverts banned

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Vintage wrote:Does that include Reginald Molehusband I wonder?

Indeed Vintage

Or the earlier Gillete advert this year that portrayed men in a poor light?

I think this is more of a view of the country becoming a nanny state, based on censurship.

I mean most of the adds that take the mick out of gender sterotypes are humour based. I see this as nothing short of a sense of humour failure.

I think this quote I read on twitter sums it up well

In the age of social media, are advertisements really that influential? Young people are developing anxiety and self-esteem problems because of *Instagram*. But how can one legislate away attractive friends portraying glamorous lives?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down