NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-mould ingredient in bread could be fuelling obesity epidemic, Harvard warns

+2
nicko
Raggamuffin
6 posters

Go down

Anti-mould ingredient in bread could be fuelling obesity epidemic, Harvard warns Empty Anti-mould ingredient in bread could be fuelling obesity epidemic, Harvard warns

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:12 am

A common preservative used to prevent bread and cakes going mouldy could be fuelling the obesity crisis by harming metabolism, scientists at Harvard University have warned.

Propionate is widely used in baked goods, animal feed and artificial flavouring but appears to increase levels of hormones which trigger weight gain and diabetes, according to new research.

Researchers at Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health carried out two studies, one in animals and one in humans, which showed propionate triggers a ‘cascade of metabolic events’ that can lead to insulin resistance and weight gain.

“Understanding how ingredients in food affect the body's metabolism at the molecular and cellular level could help us develop simple but effective measures to tackle the dual epidemics of obesity and diabetes,” said Professor Gokhan Hotam, Director of the Sabri Ulker Center for Metabolic Research.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2019/04/24/anti-mould-ingredient-bread-could-fuelling-obesity-epidemic/

Back to top Go down

Anti-mould ingredient in bread could be fuelling obesity epidemic, Harvard warns Empty Re: Anti-mould ingredient in bread could be fuelling obesity epidemic, Harvard warns

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:16 am

Cakes? If you eat a lot of cakes of course you'll put on weight. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Anti-mould ingredient in bread could be fuelling obesity epidemic, Harvard warns Empty Re: Anti-mould ingredient in bread could be fuelling obesity epidemic, Harvard warns

Post by nicko Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:26 am

Only have to look at a Chocolate cake and I put on a pound
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:16 pm

Anti-mould ingredient in bread could be fuelling obesity epidemic, Harvard warns 3922118137

Moral of the story :

Eat more fresh food -- and less processed foods  (including store-bought bread, cakes, pastries and biscuits..).

If people still want cakes and biscuits, look to more home baked and less shop bought.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:52 pm

phildidge wrote:A common preservative used to prevent bread and cakes going mouldy could be fuelling the obesity crisis by harming metabolism, scientists at Harvard University have warned.

Propionate is widely used in baked goods, animal feed and artificial flavouring but appears to increase levels of hormones which trigger weight gain and diabetes, according to new research.

Researchers at Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health carried out two studies, one in animals and one in humans, which showed propionate triggers a ‘cascade of metabolic events’ that can lead to insulin resistance and weight gain.

“Understanding how ingredients in food affect the body's metabolism at the molecular and cellular level could help us develop simple but effective measures to tackle the dual epidemics of obesity and diabetes,” said Professor Gokhan Hotam, Director of the Sabri Ulker Center for Metabolic Research.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2019/04/24/anti-mould-ingredient-bread-could-fuelling-obesity-epidemic/

I don't buy bread that has any 'E number' additives in it, and have done so for over 20 years...

As I found that when I ate any with these additives in, I would start to get a slight bit of indigestion about an hour later, and would also start to get a feeling of being hungry again even though I knew that I wasn't really hungry...!

I rarely buy any cake type things either anyway, but always check the ingredients first if I do, and avoid if E numbers are involved...

The bread I usually buy these days is a Polish brown one found in big sainsbury's stores... says on the labeling that it has no chemicals or colours etc... is very tasty and sits well on stomach too!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:38 pm

Bread is full of sugar. It’s a really bad for you. As someone above said (Wolf?), it’s best to make your own.
Wheat isn’t very good for our bodies anyway.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:46 pm

eddie wrote:Bread is full of sugar. It’s a really bad for you. As someone above said (Wolf?), it’s best to make your own.
Wheat isn’t very good for our bodies anyway.

Really?

Where did you read that Eddie, Jackanory?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:25 pm

No didge I didn’t.
And for the record, I love bread even though I know it’s shit.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:27 pm

eddie wrote:No didge I didn’t.
And for the record, I love bread even though I know it’s shit.

Well you must have done, when what you claim is misleading and false

i am sure its not good for some individuals, but its been the staple diet of humans for thousands of years and has many health benefits

You said wheat, not bread

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Loads of people are wheat-intolerant. Loads of people who cut wheat out of their diets feel less bloated and less tired.

You can google it if you like or just ask lots of people the same way I did.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:32 pm

eddie wrote:Loads of people are wheat-intolerant. Loads of people who cut wheat out of their diets feel less bloated and less tired.

You can google it if you like or just ask lots of people the same way I did.

How many are wheat-intolerant?

The vast majority of people are not and again to go off some people being intoerant is not an argument against wheat

As again it has many health benefits for humans, one of the biggest being fibre

Also it seems many people are not really intolerant

I do research eddie all the time, may I suggest you look skeptically at your own claims

Thanks

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/05/what-s-really-behind-gluten-sensitivity

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 pm

I could post up links that back up my points but you’d only say they weren’t “good enough” - because your mind is already made up, right?
So we can agree to disagree.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:38 pm

eddie wrote:I could post up links that back up my points but you’d only say they weren’t “good enough” - because your mind is already made up, right?
So we can agree to disagree.  

No, i simple understand basic science and what health experts advise on the health benefits of wheat

Mainly as they help lower the risk of heart disease, a stroke, type 2 diabities etc

Like I say its you being close minded here, as are you skeptically looking at the claims you have taken as gosple?

So no, in some cases where people promote nonsense of which you are doing here. I am not going to agree to disagree. What you are claiming is sheer made up-nonsense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:45 pm

"Gluten-free diet can do more harm than good for people without coeliac disease," The Independent reports, as a new study found that the "trendy gluten-free diets loved by Gwyneth Paltrow and Russell Crowe may increase the risk of heart disease".

Gluten is a protein found in grains such as wheat, barley and rye. In people with coeliac disease, it damages the intestines and triggers digestive symptoms such as diarrhoea, meaning they need to follow a gluten-free diet.

Recently there has been increasing interest in the possible health benefits of avoiding gluten among people who do not have coeliac disease, though the long term evidence about its effects in this group is currently limited. Despite this, the gluten-free food market is reported to have made $3.5bn worth of global sales in 2016.

The current study followed more than 100,000 people from 1986 to 2012, assessing their diets and whether they had heart attacks during that time. These people did not have heart disease at the start of the study, and importantly did not have coeliac disease.

Overall, it found that once other risk factors were taken into account, people's consumption of gluten was not related to their risk of heart attack. However, further analyses suggested that lower consumption of gluten specifically from whole grains (wheat, barley and rye) was associated with increased heart attack risk compared to higher consumption from these sources.

Ideally these findings would be confirmed by other studies, but this research will take time. In the meantime, if you don't need to avoid gluten for medical reasons, this study suggests it may be beneficial to continue including whole grains in your diet for their cardiovascular benefits.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/obesity/low-gluten-diet-linked-to-heart-attack-risk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:26 pm

Oh and for the record Eddie

I would love to see corroborating studies that prove that wheat is not good our bodies

The reality is, there are no such studies

Where you go wrong is going off where it does not agree with some individuals

That does not mean wheat is bad for our bodies.

People who have reactions, suffer from diseases. That means its the disease that is creating the problem.

This is when I really dispair when you make poor claims, that have no foundation. What you do is go off what some individuals claim and then claim faslely as fact. That then something is not good for our bodies.

Seriously Eddie, I wish for once, you would actually be bothered to challenge your own claims, with true skeptism.

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:57 am

You like him really don't you Eddie ? Laughing
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:07 pm

nicko wrote:You like him really don't you Eddie ? Laughing

Who, didge? Yeah I like him just fine. We don’t always agree and we can irritate each other....and I anger him often...but it’s a debate forum and he’s not a bad guy at all.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:08 pm

eddie wrote:

Who, didge? Yeah I like him just fine. We don’t always agree and we can irritate each other....and I anger him often...but it’s a debate forum and he’s not a bad guy at all.

Must be a different phil you are talking about

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:18 pm

phildidge wrote:
eddie wrote:

Ah, you’re right. I did actually write ‘sometimes’ originally.
My apologies.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:21 pm

eddie wrote:
phildidge wrote:

My apologies.

There is no need to apologise scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:23 pm

phildidge wrote:
eddie wrote:
phildidge wrote:

My apologies.

Well, I don’t like to misquote or misrepresent people, so when I do that and I’m wrong, I apologise.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:27 pm

eddie wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Well, I don’t like to misquote or misrepresent people, so when I do that and I’m wrong, I apologise.

Thanks, but again you have no need to

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 am

I wonder if the anti-mound agent being used now had anything to do with the ergot poisoning in France in 1951?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/how-deadly-bread-bewitched-a-french-village-123126177/
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down