NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woman is urged to break up with fiancé after jeweller reveals her ring is fake

+2
Ben Reilly
eddie
6 posters

Go down

Woman is urged to break up with fiancé after jeweller reveals her ring is fake Empty Woman is urged to break up with fiancé after jeweller reveals her ring is fake

Post by eddie Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:35 pm

There's a lot of pressure to shell out for an expensive diamond ring, but one man perhaps should have been a little more straight up with his fiancée about the one he presented her with.

The mortified bride-to-be revealed to advice columnist Natalie Bencivenga that her fiancé had lied about her ring.

She discovered the lie thanks to a jeweller who pointed that rather than being a diamond, her ring sported a cubic zirconium.

"I was truly embarrassed," she wrote in her letter.

"My fiancé had surprised me with the ring and I cannot believe that he did this," she explained.

"When I confronted him about it, he just shrugged it off, saying a real diamond ring that size would've cost him a small fortune and what’s the difference, anyway?"

He further angered her by telling her that her friends "will never know".

"I don't think he understands why I’m upset," she continued. "I am upset because I feel lied to. I am ready to call the whole thing off. What do you think I should do?"

Natalie agreed that this was a shaky start to married life - and revealed that she'd be "edging toward the door".

"File this under 'bride-to-be-worst-nightmare,'" she replied.

"Having your engagement ring turn out to be a fake is not exactly the way you want to start a life together."

Fending off any accusations that the bride-to-be was being "shallow" and "materialistic" she went on:

"This is a symbol of your love and commitment to one another. To have it be a fake may make you feel as though your relationship is a fraud, too.

"Now, there is nothing inherently wrong with a cubic zirconium. It’s the fact that he didn't tell you that it wasn't a diamond.

"I wouldn't want to start a life with someone who is so willing to lie to me to make things easier on himself. What else could he be lying to you about?

"I would think long and hard where to go from here. Personally, I would be edging towards the door."

While some women thought the bride-to-be was overreacting, others agreed that her fiancé had been out of line.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-urged-break-up-fianc-14320567

So ladies...what would you do? And gents...do you think he was out of order?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Woman is urged to break up with fiancé after jeweller reveals her ring is fake Empty Re: Woman is urged to break up with fiancé after jeweller reveals her ring is fake

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Yeah, he was out of order, period. If he wants her to trust him, he has to be honest about everything.

Then he says her friends won't know -- telegraphing that he expects her to be as comfortable with lying as he is. I'd dump his ass if I were her.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Woman is urged to break up with fiancé after jeweller reveals her ring is fake Empty Re: Woman is urged to break up with fiancé after jeweller reveals her ring is fake

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:12 am

hang on, did he actually lie?

it sounds like he presented her with a ring and she just assumed it was a real diamond but did she ask him at the time? and did he say yes?

maybe he also assumed that as a woman she would automatically be able to tell that it wasn't a real one and was happy to accept him for what he could afford

it says when she confronted him he shrugged it off saying a real one that size would have cost a fortune,,,,,,well it probably would and if she was his girlfriend surely she's aware of income, at least a rough idea of what he could afford.

deliberate lies? or just lack of communication and too many assumptions?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:20 am

It's a ring that was presented as a symbolic gesture during the proposal of marriage...

Either the prospect of marrying the guy is the important thing... or the monetary value of the symbolic ring is more important...!?

I think the guy involved, already knows the answer to that question, and should dump the money grabbing bitch ASAP...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:32 am

Fault on both sides.

I do think there’s far too much unrealistic expectations about engagement rings anyway. If they’re more expensive does that mean your love and commitment is more real and better than other people?

If you can afford it great, but going into serious debt over a piece of jewelry (or your wedding for that matter) is idiotic.

Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:14 am

CZ's are common nowadays.  In this age of advertising and false expectations, the bigger ring yields more Oh's and Ah's than that tiny, solo baguette.

The crime is the deception.  This wasn't done with the knowledge and complicity of the wife.  My guess is that the guy knew that it was a temporary marriage, anyway, and he expected to be long gone when it was found out.

My brother-in-law did it the smart way.  He bought the tiny stone, and presented it forthrightly on asking.  Then when he got rick and famous, one birthday he wow'ed her with a gorgeous ensemble of engagement, wedding, and 10-year anniversary rings, chocked full of huge (real) stones.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:00 pm

Like Cass said an engagement ring should be about love and commitment not size and money.

If he passed it off as a diamond that was wrong, he lied, and if a relationship is built on lies...thats a bad start.

If his fiancé presumed it was diamond and is annoyed because it's a cheaper CZ version, maybe she should give it back and go look for a richer bloke to marry.

My engagement ring is one tiny diamond, (really tiny) it doesn't fit my finger now but I treasure it as much if not more than any other diamond ring  I now have.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:14 pm

Original Quill wrote:CZ's are common nowadays.  In this age of advertising and false expectations, the bigger ring yields more Oh's and Ah's than that tiny, solo baguette.

The crime is the deception.  This wasn't done with the knowledge and complicity of the wife.  My guess is that the guy knew that it was a temporary marriage, anyway, and he expected to be long gone when it was found out.

My brother-in-law did it the smart way.  He bought the tiny stone, and presented it forthrightly on asking.  Then when he got rick and famous, one birthday he wow'ed her with a gorgeous ensemble of engagement, wedding, and 10-year anniversary rings, chocked full of huge (real) stones.

Your BIL sounds lovely, but I bet your sister still treasures the original ring he bought her Quill.
An engagement ring signifies all the hopes and dreams that people have when starting off their lives together.
I bet most women remember the day they received that ring, where they were, what was said etc.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:34 pm

gelico wrote:

hang on, did he actually lie?

it sounds like he presented her with a ring and she just assumed it was a real diamond but did she ask him at the time? and did he say yes?

maybe he also assumed that as a woman she would automatically be able to tell that it wasn't a real one and was happy to accept him for what he could afford

it says when she confronted him he shrugged it off saying a real one that size would have cost a fortune,,,,,,well it probably would and if she was his girlfriend surely she's aware of income, at least a rough idea of what he could afford.

deliberate lies? or just lack of communication and too many assumptions?

Well, like most news articles it glosses over the whole story and doesn’t answer any real questions. Your questions are valid and the answers could change the story into something else entirely.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down