NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unisex toilets in schools are leaving girl pupils 'too afraid to use the loo over fears of 'period shaming', sexual harassment and a lack of privacy'

+2
HoratioTarr
nicko
6 posters

Go down

Unisex toilets in schools are leaving girl pupils 'too afraid to use the loo over fears of 'period shaming', sexual harassment and a lack of privacy' Empty Unisex toilets in schools are leaving girl pupils 'too afraid to use the loo over fears of 'period shaming', sexual harassment and a lack of privacy'

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:33 am

School girls are too afraid to use unisex toilets over fears of 'period shaming' from boys and 'sexual harassment', campaigners warn.

A growing number of schools are ditching separate sex loos claiming they are not inclusive to transgender children and are a breeding ground for bullying. But some girls are avoiding going to the toilet during school hours because of cruel taunts from boys and a lack of privacy, according to the Daily Express.

And some girls even avoid drinking water so that they will not have to use the toilet.

A parent of a secondary school girl told the newspaper that 'boys are always speculating on whether girls are having their periods according to how long they take in the toilet.'

Feminist campaigners Women's Voices Wales claims that the 'safety and dignity' of girls at school is being neglected. The group found pupils, parents and staff are often too embarrassed to complain about the unisex loos and has called for a policy to be reviewed.

Helen Raynor, a spokesperson, told the newspaper that no school girl should feel like they are unable to use the toilet.

She said: 'No child should avoid school, or stop drinking water so they don't wee. Girls cannot "hold periods in".'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6714753/Unisex-toilets-schools-leaving-girl-pupils-afraid-use-loo.html

Back to top Go down

Unisex toilets in schools are leaving girl pupils 'too afraid to use the loo over fears of 'period shaming', sexual harassment and a lack of privacy' Empty Re: Unisex toilets in schools are leaving girl pupils 'too afraid to use the loo over fears of 'period shaming', sexual harassment and a lack of privacy'

Post by nicko Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:44 am

Do you know whose "brilliant" idea this was in the first place ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Unisex toilets in schools are leaving girl pupils 'too afraid to use the loo over fears of 'period shaming', sexual harassment and a lack of privacy' Empty Re: Unisex toilets in schools are leaving girl pupils 'too afraid to use the loo over fears of 'period shaming', sexual harassment and a lack of privacy'

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 am

nicko wrote:Do you know whose "brilliant" idea this was in the first place ?

This was so bloody predictable. This is exactly what some of us were saying when this all first came up. Then there were others on here who thought we were being transgender phobic (haters). It's about common sense and human nature.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:44 am

it's not human nature to be a Sexist Twat, it is taught behavior.

why are the boys not being spoken to? and reprimanded where appropriate.
why even such an issue with periods? they are natural, they are gonna be part of the students future lives for a long time (even the Guys if they Date Women). Why aren't they getting enough education to not be mystified by a natural bodily function?

The point was always to CHANGE the way society views Gender including all the bullshit around things like Periods.
Do we want Bosses overlooking women for promotion because they get periods? Suspect No, then we need to educate Boys so they don't grow up into Men that can't accept a woman's natural bodily functions(a.k.a. Sexist Twats)

If this is an unsolvable problem in a school, then the school is failing it's Male Students as much as the Girls. Since it seems to lack the ability to deliver education Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:18 am

Some things should be kept private , IF that's what most want !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:34 pm

I abhor the attitudes of the boys...repulsive and rude to the extreme.

But isn't this the thought-police on steroids?  After all, taunts are speech, and everything on that side of the line is supposed to be free.  It's only when thoughts turn into action that it is prohibited.

This situation calls for fathers to take boys back behind the barn and give 'em a good whipping.  What the boys are doing is despicable, but it's private, not political.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:22 pm

School toilets are meeting places as well as toilets. Girls don't want boys hanging around when they're having a meeting.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Its simple. Children and people should have a choice of facilities to use

Providing only unisex toilets, is forcing children into a situation many feel uncomortable with. Just as some Transgenders do not feel comfortable going into a single sex toilet facility, they do not assign to that sex.

What is happening is that people are being discriminated against based on a false belief, that this will make everyone happy

It does not as seen and thus, there should be male, female and unisex toilet facilities for all children

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:46 pm

I have no idea why some people are so afraid of what other people think about them or say.

Tell the boys to fuck off.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:49 pm

eddie wrote:I have no idea why some people are so afraid of what other people think about them or say.

Yeah, an insecure girl, afraid to use the toilet. Is going to pluck up the courage to tell them to fuck off (never happen) and then have them laugh right back at her.

Not the best of plans Eddie, I must say

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:02 pm

I get what you’re saying but insecurity should be dealt with at home when they’re young.
Do you think my son and daughter never got picked on? I just didn’t make a meal of it...I just told them to tell the kids to fuck off and stop talking because their breath smells (or similar).

We are making a lot of insecure people. I tend to take this method: you’ll always be picked on so find a way to fight back, ignore them or tell them to fuck off.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:24 pm

eddie wrote:I have no idea why some people are so afraid of what other people think about them or say.

It's not that easy when you're a sensitive teenager. You're a grown woman with a mind of your own that's been honed by age and experience. I remember when I was 13 and the thought of a boy teasing or taking the piss out of me about intimate matters would have mortified me.

Boys of that age can be monsters. Crude. Disgusting. They can be awful. Girls can be the same. Not all kids are brought up well, and most of them will run with the herd. Boys are two years behind girls with the emotional maturity...so one can only imagine what they can be like when you combine that immaturity with raging hormones. Girls and women deserve their privacy if that's what they want.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:30 pm

Horatio, do you think if you’d had a mother who’d made you tougher and played it down...that you might’ve been less sensitive?

Not judging, just putting an idea out there.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:I abhor the attitudes of the boys...repulsive and rude to the extreme.

But isn't this the thought-police on steroids?  After all, taunts are speech, and everything on that side of the line is supposed to be free.  It's only when thoughts turn into action that it is prohibited.

This situation calls for fathers to take boys back behind the barn and give 'em a good whipping.  What the boys are doing is despicable, but it's private, not political.

Boys have done this kind of thing since time began. I remember how disgusting they could be at my school. Not all of them, of course, but a good deal of them. I expect half the parents of these boys would be ashamed of them, but they'll never know. Teenagers can be 100 times more cruel and crude than adults.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:37 pm

Yeah eds, you're a special person.  A little edgy, and a cocky stubbornness...most of all, the confidence to pull it off.

Some kids have what they call negative-inhibitive habit patterns, in which they hear criticism and think, oh right, that's the way I am!  Maybe it's bad parenting that brings it out, but it's tragic.  I feel for those kids.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:41 pm

eddie wrote:Horatio, do you think if you’d had a mother who’d made you tougher and played it down...that you might’ve been less sensitive?

Not judging, just putting an idea out there.

I did tell boys to fuck off. Many times. I was quite capable of standing my ground. But it didn't stop me from being appalled at any sexually crude behaviour by them,and feeling embarrassed by it. Because that was my nature. I didn't want them to listen to me using the toilet or making comments about my period, and that didn't ever change. I'm a private kind of person like that, and always have been. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. That's my choice. And if it's the choice of the girls to have privacy then they should be allowed to have it.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:Yeah eds, you're a special person.  A little edgy, and a cocky stubbornness...most of all, the confidence to pull it off.

Some kids have what they call negative-inhibitive habit patterns, in which they hear criticism and think, oh right, that's the way I am!  Maybe it's bad parenting that brings it out, but it's tragic.  I feel for those kids.

I feel for them too. But!

Children respond to how a parent responds.

Example: a young child cries when they hear fireworks. A parent rushes in and soothes them, holds them until they calm down and fall asleep.

Me? I always acted like I couldn’t hear them and if my child said “What’s that noise? It’s loud and scary!” I’d say “They are fireworks! They’re so pretty! Come and see!”
Then the child reacts how you react. You’re not scared and neither are they.

It all starts with the early years. Always.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Yeah eds, you're a special person.  A little edgy, and a cocky stubbornness...most of all, the confidence to pull it off.

Example: a young child cries when they hear fireworks. A parent rushes in and soothes them, holds them until they calm down and fall asleep.

Me? I always acted like I couldn’t hear them and if my child said “What’s that noise? It’s loud and scary!” I’d say “They are fireworks! They’re so pretty! Come and see!”

I absolutely get that. But this is not about fireworks and loud noises. It's about a person's personal space.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:00 am

Yes and I get that. But how about teaching a child to be tough? How about teaching that child to just rise above it?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 am

eddie wrote:

That is kewl. Like I say, it's probably the parents. You have a uniquely independent confidence. Some parents don't even know what they are doing.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:45 am

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:

That is kewl.  Like I say, it's probably the parents.  You have a uniquely independent confidence.  Some parents don't even know what they are doing.

Quill, that might be the first time you have ever understood who I am.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:01 am

eddie wrote:I get what you’re saying but insecurity should be dealt with at home when they’re young.
Do you think my son and daughter never got picked on? I just didn’t make a meal of it...I just told them to tell the kids to fuck off and stop talking because their breath smells (or similar).

We are making a lot of insecure people. I tend to take this method: you’ll always be picked on so find a way to fight back, ignore them or tell them to fuck off.

You still not grasping the point and you cannot expect all parents to be like you

Kids growing up in a multitude of families and you cannot expect them to have all the same support that you have f or your children

A child with insecurities its hardly ever going to be in a position to tell boys to fuck off. They simple will not have the cofidence to do so

I agree that society is mollycoddling children and this stems from  parents and the schools, but in one area, people should be allowed privacy. Even girls hate sharing spaces with other girls, with all the bitchiness

So what you perceive is not how everyone should be the standard for. Not only that people suffer with many mental health conditions. Making it very difficult for them

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:18 am

Holy shit someone with a solution  ......  Cool Cool Cool Cool

A lot of the other posters don't seem to get the Sole purpose of schools is for students to Learn and Grow
And this is one of those cases, it is not a problem it is an opportunity to Teach them to be better adults
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:33 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

That is kewl.  Like I say, it's probably the parents.  You have a uniquely independent confidence.  Some parents don't even know what they are doing.

Quill, that might be the first time you have ever understood who I am.

No, it isn't. I've always known it. We probably don''t talk enough about it, but it's always been there...and I've always known it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down