NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who might replace Theresa May as the next Tory leader and Prime Minister?

4 posters

Go down

Who might replace Theresa May as the next Tory leader and Prime Minister?  Empty Who might replace Theresa May as the next Tory leader and Prime Minister?

Post by eddie Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Here are the top 10 Conservatives who could replace her as party leader, and therefore prime minister:

Boris Johnson:

The former foreign secretary, who quit the government in July, is the top contender for succeeding Mrs May as leader.

After the general election last year, sources told Sky News he was "on manoeuvres" and sounding out MPs about a possible leadership bid.

He is very popular with party members, but many of his colleagues are not so keen on him, meaning it could be tough for him to get on the ballot list in the first place.

Sky Bet put the odds of him succeeding Mrs May at 7/2.

Dominic Raab:

Bookies are offering second-best odds on the former Brexit secretary becoming the next leader.

Mr Raab, 44, told Sky News the UK needs to "change course" on Brexit - hours after quitting as Brexit secretary.

His decision to quit his front line role could hinder the MP for Esher and Walton in any leadership aspirations if his colleagues see him as shirking responsibility, but others may see him as a man of principle.

Sky Bet puts the odds of him taking over from Mrs May at 4/1.

Sajid Javid:

The ambitious home secretary has made no secret about wanting Mrs May's job.

Having risen quickly through the Tory ranks, the former banker, 48, is a natural eurosceptic but was strong-armed into backing the Remain campaign by David Cameron and George Osborne.

Mr Javid blocked Mrs May's customs compromise, bringing him back in favour with Brexiteers.

As the son of a Pakistani bus conductor, he would be the first-ever black or Asian leader of a major political party in Britain.

Sky Bet puts the odds of him taking over from Mrs May at 6/1.

Jeremy Hunt:

Known as "Teflon Jeremy" for his ability to brush off criticism during his time as the longest-serving health secretary, Mr Hunt has had a relatively smooth ride as foreign secretary in comparison and this has set him in good stead to take over from Mrs May.

The 52-year-old is unlikely to be part of a coup to oust Mrs May, but the ambitious minister could throw his hat in the ring after others do so.

Despite running before, he has defended Mrs May - saying: "I am backing Theresa May tonight."

The odds of him replacing her are 8/1.

Michael Gove:

The environment secretary has been hankering after Mrs May's job for a long time, running against her for the leadership in 2016.

The leading Brexiteer, 51, has strong support from party members, farmers and green campaigners after refashioning himself as an "eco-warrior" fighting to get the best Brexit deal for farmers and fishermen.

The odds of him replacing Mrs May are 8/1.

David Davis:

Satirised as the "Brexit Bulldog" during his time as the inaugural Brexit secretary, the prominent Brexiteer is still thought to harbour ambitions for the top job after losing 2005's leadership contest to David Cameron.

The 69-year-old was appointed Brexit secretary after the 2016 referendum but resigned over his opposition to the Chequers deal.

In October, he called on cabinet ministers to stage a mutiny against Theresa May to kill her Brexit plan.

He wrote in The Sunday Times: "This is one of the most fundamental decisions that government has taken in modern times.

"It is time for the cabinet to exert their collective authority. This week the authority of our constitution is on the line."

Sky Bet puts the odds of him replacing Theresa May at 8/1.

Amber Rudd:

The former home secretary, who has said "Brexiteers may lose their Brexit", is thought to be in with a chance of replacing Mrs May.

The former home secretary has tweeted: "The PM has my full support. At this critical time we need to support and work with the PM to deliver on leaving the EU, & our domestic agenda - ambitious for improvements to people's lives & to build on growth of wages & jobs."

Sky Bet puts the odds of Ms Rudd replacing Theresa May at 14/1.

Jacob Rees-Mogg:

Of all MPs, Mr Rees-Mogg is arguably one of Mrs May's biggest headaches.

He is also potentially the biggest risk to her position after very publicly filing a vote of no confidence in her - moments after she fought to convince the House to back her draft agreement.

Addressing reporters outside parliament, the 49-year-old did not mince his words, saying: "This is a failure of government policy, it needs to be rejected."

He has strong support from voters, old and young alike, due to what they consider his honesty over his core beliefs and his eloquent speaking style.

However, the father-of-six has always maintained he does not want her job - even if others want him to take it.

Despite his protestations, the odds of him becoming Tory leader are also 14/1.

Penny Mordaunt:

International development secretary and Brexiteer Ms Mordaunt wrote a lengthy article on improving leadership in UK politics earlier this year. It was seen as a pitch to be Mrs May's successor.

However following Mrs May's speech outside Downing Street where she vowed to fight on, Ms Mordaunt tweeted: "The Prime Minister has my full support, not least because she has always done what she firmly believes is in the national interest. Our country needs us all to fight for a good deal and prepare for a no deal senario (sic). All eyes and hands should be on that task.

Her odds are 20/1.

Andrea Leadsom:

Leader of the Commons and a top Brexiteer, Ms Leadsom has held several ministerial and cabinet positions since 2014, providing her with some necessary experience.

She was in the final two for 2016's leadership contest but pulled out to give Mrs May the position after saying being a mother gave her an advantage over the childless Mrs May.

Ms Leadsom's odds are 22/1.

All odds correct at time of publication.
https://news.sky.com/story/who-could-replace-theresa-may-as-pm-11495995
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Who might replace Theresa May as the next Tory leader and Prime Minister?  Empty Re: Who might replace Theresa May as the next Tory leader and Prime Minister?

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:21 pm

The best PM would need to be a brexit supporter and I think either Davis, Gove or Rees-Mogg would be best.

My personal choice would be David Davis for a variety of reasons.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Who might replace Theresa May as the next Tory leader and Prime Minister?  Empty Re: Who might replace Theresa May as the next Tory leader and Prime Minister?

Post by Vintage Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:25 pm

None of those really but if I had to choose maybe Sajid Javid, not sure I trust him though, although since when can you trust a politician.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

The best PM would need to be a brexit supporter and I think either Davis, Gove or Rees-Mogg would be best.

My personal choice would be David Davis for a variety of reasons.

Oh man, you're picking the one with the most boring name in the history of the universe! Pick Mdme. Pennyworth Maundentone or whatever her name is.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Vintage wrote:None of those really but if I had to choose maybe Sajid Javid, not sure I trust him though, although since when can you trust a politician.

I don’t know that much about all of them (except Boris Gump, who is just an arse) but yes, Sajid David would be my choice too.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:41 pm

I think David Davis would be more popular with wider section of voters in an election as he is pretty down to earth and talks in an easy to understand way that connects with everyday people... and don't forget that he grew up in a council estate in Tooting with his mother who was a single parent...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down