NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asthma attacks three times more common than thought, amid warnings over air pollution

2 posters

Go down

Asthma attacks three times more common than thought, amid warnings over air pollution  Empty Asthma attacks three times more common than thought, amid warnings over air pollution

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 am

Asthma attacks are three times as common as previously thought, according to new figures which have sparked warnings about the impact of air pollution.

Data from the charity Asthma UK suggests that every three seconds somebody in the UK has an attack.

Its figures suggest 10 million such episodes annually, when previous figures suggest around three million attacks annually.

The charity surveyed more than 10,000 people with asthma, who reported having an attack on average twice a year.

Its experts said some of the rise could be attributed to the fact that previous attempts to estimate the total number of attacks only measured the amount of medication used, missing cases where patients struggled without an inhaler.

But they also raised concerns that growing numbers of children and adults were suffering from breathing results as a result of air pollution, and of poor NHS management of their condition.

Asthma attacks can be life-threatening, with three people on average dying every day from an attack.

The condition affects the airways, narrowing them and making it harder to breathe.

Triggers can include cold air, coughs and colds, and grass pollen.

Dr Andy Whittamore, clinical lead at Asthma UK, said: "It is shocking to think that every three seconds in the UK someone could be having an asthma attack, a terrifying experience than can cause distress and in some cases prove fatal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/18/asthma-attacks-three-times-common-thought-amid-warnings-air/

Back to top Go down

Asthma attacks three times more common than thought, amid warnings over air pollution  Empty Re: Asthma attacks three times more common than thought, amid warnings over air pollution

Post by Lurker Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:04 pm

I suffered from asthma for 30+ years. When I retired and got away from my work places it went away. I haven't had an asthma attack since I retired.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Asthma attacks three times more common than thought, amid warnings over air pollution  Empty Re: Asthma attacks three times more common than thought, amid warnings over air pollution

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Lurker wrote:I suffered from asthma for 30+ years. When I retired and got away from my work places it went away. I haven't had an asthma attack since I retired.

Do you mean Urbinization with cities and towns Lurker?

You then lived in the country away from this?

Sorry just want to clarify, as work can mean many things

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:03 pm

My place of employment. I must have been allergic to the dust, equipment, cable or a combination of all of it. I installed telephone switching equipment in old telephone buildings that had been there for decades. I helped tear out the old equipment and upgrade to the latest computerized switching equipment. I think I was allergic to the vinyl and plastic insulation on the wires, too. I would have asthma attacks and have to use my inhaler a lot when I was wiring. I don't know how I lived through 30 years of it. I'm doing great now.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:09 pm

Lurker wrote:My place of employment. I must have been allergic to the dust, equipment, cable or a combination of all of it. I installed telephone switching equipment in old telephone buildings that had been there for decades. I helped tear out the old equipment and upgrade to the latest computerized switching equipment. I think I was allergic to the vinyl and plastic insulation on the wires, too. I would have asthma attacks and have to use my inhaler a lot when I was wiring. I don't know how I lived through 30 years of it. I'm doing great now.

Have an allergy to dust myself. Interesting to know and thanks for sharing
I think it helps to understand how this does effect people.
Glad to hear you are doing well now mate.

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:31 pm

Lurker wrote:My place of employment. I must have been allergic to the dust, equipment, cable or a combination of all of it. I installed telephone switching equipment in old telephone buildings that had been there for decades. I helped tear out the old equipment and upgrade to the latest computerized switching equipment. I think I was allergic to the vinyl and plastic insulation on the wires, too. I would have asthma attacks and have to use my inhaler a lot when I was wiring. I don't know how I lived through 30 years of it. I'm doing great now.

You finally joined the dots and worked it out. Better late than never. Smile
Onwards & upwards! Hooray. fiesta

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down