NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'I have a masters and now I work for Deliveroo': Literature graduate is among thousands of men who studied ‘creative courses’ costing over £9,000 a year but earn on average less than those without degrees

3 posters

Go down

'I have a masters and now I work for Deliveroo': Literature graduate is among thousands of men who studied ‘creative courses’ costing over £9,000 a year but earn on average less than those without degrees Empty 'I have a masters and now I work for Deliveroo': Literature graduate is among thousands of men who studied ‘creative courses’ costing over £9,000 a year but earn on average less than those without degrees

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:25 pm

A literature student who spent thousands of pounds on his degree is now working for Deliveroo and earning less on average than those who didn't go to university.

Kieran Hughes, 28, graduated with a degree in literature and media at the University of Brighton before completing a masters at the University of Sussex.

It comes as a report reveals men who study art, English or philosophy at university earn on average less at the age of 29 than those without a degree.

99 per cent of women attend a university which provides positive returns on average at age 29, as do 67 per cent of men.

Mr Hughes works as a Deliveroo rider and a drum teacher and last year earned £9,500 – but has debts of around £27,000.

He said many people like him only went to university because their friends did and never thought about their earnings.

The worst return is for men studying creative arts. They earn on average 14 per cent less than non-graduate peers – while for English it is 7 per cent less and for philosophy it is four per cent less.

There are better returns for women – but only because they are disadvantaged in the labour market in general.

The report from the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) will reignite the debate over whether some degree courses are worth the time and effort.

It comes as a Government-appointed panel prepares to release the results of a Higher Education Review, which will make recommendations about value-for-money and student fees.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6431833/Men-studied-creative-courses-earning-without-degree.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'I have a masters and now I work for Deliveroo': Literature graduate is among thousands of men who studied ‘creative courses’ costing over £9,000 a year but earn on average less than those without degrees Empty Re: 'I have a masters and now I work for Deliveroo': Literature graduate is among thousands of men who studied ‘creative courses’ costing over £9,000 a year but earn on average less than those without degrees

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Male-dominated trades which do not require a degree – such as plumbing and construction – can be lucrative.

You don't say. Apprenticeships went to the wall when everyone was convinced that having a degree was the way to go. Once upon a time, you didn't need a degree to be a nurse, for example. Or a paramedic. And for decades, the NHS did just fine with that regulation in place.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'I have a masters and now I work for Deliveroo': Literature graduate is among thousands of men who studied ‘creative courses’ costing over £9,000 a year but earn on average less than those without degrees Empty Re: 'I have a masters and now I work for Deliveroo': Literature graduate is among thousands of men who studied ‘creative courses’ costing over £9,000 a year but earn on average less than those without degrees

Post by Vintage Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:03 pm

As did the police service (I hate that it should have stayed a FORCE and done the job properly) and did better than now. People would be happy to stay a constable and do the job, now they have to go to uni or at the moment go on a course and pass that, why would they want to be constables and start at the bottom everyone thinks more about getting promoted than catching thieves, that's minor stuff these days anyway'

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:05 am

Cause he studied literature Cool Cool Cool Cool  

He said many people like him only went to university because their friends did and never thought about their earnings.

He made his bed so he can lie in it  Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down