NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banksy pulled off the biggest prank ever

+7
Ben Reilly
JulesV
magica
Original Quill
Syl
nicko
veya_victaous
11 posters

Go down

Banksy pulled off the biggest prank ever Empty Banksy pulled off the biggest prank ever

Post by veya_victaous Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:30 am

IT’S quite possibly the biggest prank in art history.
Mysterious street artist Banksy rigged one of his best-known works to self-destruct minutes after being sold at auction for $A1.7 million.
The 2006 work Girl With Balloon was the final item in an auction at Sotheby’s in London on October 5.
Shortly after the bid was called, an alarm sounded inside the frame and the painting started to shred to pieces in front of shocked onlookers.
In an intriguing Instagram post, Banksy has revealed how he carried off the biggest art hoax ever.
The British artist — whose identity has long been the topic of debate — quoted Picasso in his post: “The urge to destroy is also a creative urge”.
In the accompanying video, he showed a shredder being fitted to the frame of the painting in a workshop.
The footage opened with the caption: “A few years ago, I secretly built a shredder into a painting.”

Banksy pulled off the biggest prank ever 439a2f599d03d00f0f1f9d5cd2aa9ded

The clip shows a hooded figure putting the finishing touches on the device, before text appears on the screen saying: “In case it was ever put up for auction.”

more at https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/design/how-banksy-pulled-off-the-biggest-prank-ever/news-story/80fbf2a0a3548a867fa3342992172642
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Banksy pulled off the biggest prank ever Empty Re: Banksy pulled off the biggest prank ever

Post by nicko Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:03 am

Who "pressed the button" to start if off ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Banksy pulled off the biggest prank ever Empty Re: Banksy pulled off the biggest prank ever

Post by Syl Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:49 am

I dont get this...so if the painting was sold before it was shredded, has someone lost all that money?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Syl wrote:I dont get this...so if the  painting was sold before it was shredded, has someone lost all that money?

No, because of the prank, and subsequent publicity, the art work has gained several million dollars (or pounds) in worth. Ironic, eh?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:I dont get this...so if the  painting was sold before it was shredded, has someone lost all that money?

No, because of the prank, and subsequent publicity, the art work has gained several million dollars (or pounds) in worth.  Ironic, eh?

Yet this is the elusive artist who shuns publicity, so I still dont get it. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

No, because of the prank, and subsequent publicity, the art work has gained several million dollars (or pounds) in worth.  Ironic, eh?

Yet this is the elusive artist who shuns publicity, so I still dont get it. Laughing

I think that answers nicko's question. Nobody really knows Banksy...he probably pushed the button himself, from behind the chair, over yonder. Nobody knows what he looks like.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:39 pm

Banksy could be a woman then, or a monkey...didnt the etchings of a monkey earn great praise from some toffee nosed art critic once believing the work to be the paintings from a famous artist?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Syl wrote:Banksy could be a woman then, or a monkey...didnt the etchings of a monkey earn great praise from some toffee nosed art critic once believing the work to be the paintings from a famous artist?

Could well be. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:29 pm

How could it be worth more shredded, I don't get that.

Banksy is definitely male.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:36 am

magica wrote:How could it be worth more shredded, I don't get that.

Because of the story. It's no longer a staid old painting...it's a piece of living art, with the proof to show it in the cuts.  It's now a painting, and a story.

Why do you say Banksy is a male?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:11 pm

I dont think it's publicly known what sex, age, or anything else Banksy is...it's just presumed he is male for some reason.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Because of the story. It's no longer a staid old painting...it's a piece of living art, with the proof to show it in the cuts.  It's now a painting, and a story.

I just feel he is male. No proof though.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 pm

magica wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I just feel he is male. No proof though.

I have always heard of Banksy referred to a 'Him' 
I'm also pretty sure he is male 

Plus originally a Graffiti Artist Illegally Graffiti-ing Stuff, the back story leans toward being male too
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Yeah, but those assumptions will jump back at you. Indy car racing was a guy sport, until Danica Partick came along.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:15 am

Original Quill wrote:Yeah, but those assumptions will jump back at you.  Indy car racing was a guy sport, until Danica Partick came along.

exactly  Cool Cool Cool  

a Female would have been celebrated for Diversity, not risk arrest as just another Graffiti Vandal 

Over the years Banksy has tried to maintain his anonymity. He has argued that he needs to hide his real identity because of the illegal nature of graffiti — that he “has issues with the cops,” that authenticating a street piece could be like “a signed confession.”Feb 17, 2013
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 am

I don't know. A few million bucks can change a lot of minds.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:28 am

Original Quill wrote:I don't know.  A few million bucks can change a lot of minds.

that's the point the Origin Story has stayed the same from before he had millions he wasn't collecting much at first in part because of this 'confession to a crime' issue he faces.

Plus people that do know his identity refer to him as him
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:20 am

Banksy pulled off the biggest prank ever STREET-ART-BANKSY

Split up the US...peacefully. Razz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:55 am

The mysterious artist has since authenticated the painting’s scraps and renamed it Love Is In The Bin.
Sotheby’s said after the famous incident that it was “in discussion about next steps” with the winning bidder about what to do.
But the bizarre turn seemed to have only bolstered the piece’s legacy — and value — with Alex Branczik, Sotheby’s head of contemporary art for Europe, dubbing it “the first artwork in history to have been created live during an auction”.
The bidder is apparently willing to take her chances that he is right.
Initial concern for the unlucky new owner of the piece soon evaporated, as art experts tipped the half-destroyed work was probably now worth more.
“The successful bidder was a private collector, bidding through a Sotheby’s staff member on the phone. We are in discussions about next steps,” the auction house said in a statement.

Full update https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/banksy-bidder-still-wants-to-pay-196m-for-shredded-art/news-story/5c823d03c230daaf7b0c20bee9e06b67

For Quill

Despite his success and growing prominence, Banksy has managed to keep his identity a closely guarded secret.
Some people are aware of who he is — associates and fellow artists — but have proven to be fiercely loyal to his wishes to stay a secret.
When Forbes magazine estimated Banksy’s personal wealth at around £14 million ($A26 million), he responded with regret, saying he wished his works were worthless.
After Saturday’s stunt, he borrowed a quote from Picasso and wrote on Instagram: “The urge to destroy is also a creative urge.”
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:11 am

Syl wrote:Banksy could be a woman then, or a monkey...didnt the etchings of a monkey earn great praise from some toffee nosed art critic once believing the work to be the paintings from a famous artist?
I'm leaning towards a dragon actually . . . . . or maybe a unicorn? Call it a hunch.

veya_victaous wrote:

The clip shows a hooded figure putting the finishing touches on the device, before text appears on the screen . . . .
Hmmm Suspect

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 am

Jules wrote:
I'm leaning towards a dragon actually . . . . . or maybe a unicorn? Call it a hunch.

Well he/she/ whoever does exist because the paintings have got to have been created by someone. Cool

What I dont get about this shredded painting, yes, it was a good publicity stunt at the time, the painting being shredded in the auction room, all caught on camera, but now it's just a million strips of waste paper.....how can that be worth anything to anyone?

And if it actually is, does that not show how incredibly pretentious the art world is, something I would have thought Banksy would be dead against.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 am

Syl wrote:
Jules wrote:

Well he/she/ whoever does exist because the paintings have got to have been created by someone. Cool

What I dont get about this shredded painting, yes, it was a good publicity stunt at the time, the painting being shredded in the auction room, all caught on camera, but now it's just a million strips of waste paper.....how can that be worth anything to anyone?

And if it actually is, does that not show how incredibly pretentious the art world is, something I would have thought Banksy would be dead against.

It's worth more because it's the Only Banksy Painting That Shredded Itself. If there's only one thing in the world and a lot of people are interested in it, it rises in value.

What cracks me up is that a lot of people who own Banksy prints, hearing of this one's rise in value, have stupidly shredded their own Banksy prints - rendering them worthless.

Not only that, but the value of the prints owned by people smart enough not to shred them went up.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:01 pm

*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's worth more because it's the Only Banksy Painting That Shredded Itself. If there's only one thing in the world and a lot of people are interested in it, it rises in value.

What cracks me up is that a lot of people who own Banksy prints, hearing of this one's rise in value, have stupidly shredded their own Banksy prints - rendering them worthless.

Not only that, but the value of the prints owned by people smart enough not to shred them went up.

More money than sense springs to mind....Im not struck on this gimicky art. Give me agood old fashioned painting where one can stand back and admire it any day....but each to their own.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:32 pm

I wouldn't hang 'em on my toilet door !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:48 pm

I wish someone had put a match to the strips as they came out of the shredder....taught the stupid clown a lesson.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Syl wrote:More money than sense springs to mind....Im not struck on this gimicky art. Give me a good old fashioned painting where one can stand back and admire it any day....but each to their own.

What would Van Gogh's ear be worth, had they kept it in a jar of formaldehyde?  And he was a Dutch master, not some come-lately graffiti scribbler.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:More money than sense springs to mind....Im not struck on this gimicky art. Give me a good old fashioned painting where one can stand back and admire it any day....but each to their own.

What would Van Gogh's ear be worth, had they kept it in a jar of formaldehyde?  And he was a Dutch master, not some come-lately graffiti scribbler.

No doubt Damien Hurst would have made a bloody fortune if he had gotten his hands on it first. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:34 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

No doubt Damien Hurst would have made a bloody fortune if he had gotten his hands on it first. Razz

Yes. Covered it in dung or menstrual blood and quadrupled it's worth.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:41 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

[Original Quill wrote: "What would Van Gogh's ear be worth, had they kept it in a jar of formaldehyde?  And he was a Dutch master, not some come-lately graffiti scribbler."]

Yes.  Covered it in dung or menstrual blood and quadrupled it's worth.

I don't think those are art by any definition.  That's just shock value, if anything.

Perhaps you don't understand art.  The art in Banksy is in the act...even the act of making it go away.  As he says, even destruction is art in the way that it is done.  Dung?  Menstrual blood?  What intrinsic message is in that?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:42 am

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I don't think those are art by any definition.  That's just shock value, if anything.

Perhaps you don't understand art.  The art in Banksy is in the act...even the act of making it go away.  As he says, even destruction is art in the way that it is done.  Dung?  Menstrual blood?  What intrinsic message is in that?

Laughing

None whatsoever...

All that empty shit-stirring trash-talking nonsense shows us is that Horatio Troll's brain is still where it's always been..

Down in the gutter.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:55 am

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Ask Tracey Emin. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Ask Tracey Emin. Laughing

Emin is autobiographical in her art.  Her 1997 work, Everyone I Have Ever Slept with, was just fookin tent.   Banksy pulled off the biggest prank ever 2190311264   I'm not sure because it is autobiographical, it dignifies it in any way, as art should stand alone, objectively.

If you need a catalogue of her life's experiences to explain the meaning of a piece of art, then why not make the catalogue the artwork...and ditch the junk?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:02 pm

From the OP:

“The urge to destroy is also a creative urge”.

I think it was a fucking kookily genius idea. I kinda like it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Watch this...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Did anyone watch the vid?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Did anyone watch the vid?

I watched about 12 minutes of it Tommy but I couldn't take it seriously.

It was a bit like one of those Victoria Wood spoof films where she pretended to be a cross channel swimmer or a woman marrying a man on death row....it just seemed too silly....could have been the mans voice over that made it so.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down