NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harper Nielsen: Australian schoolgirl's national anthem protest

+2
nicko
'Wolfie
6 posters

Go down

Harper Nielsen: Australian schoolgirl's national anthem protest Empty Harper Nielsen: Australian schoolgirl's national anthem protest

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:41 am

A nine-year-old girl has stirred controversy after refusing to stand for Australia's national anthem in protest at alleged institutional racism.

Harper Nielsen claimed the song "Advance Australia Fair" ignored the nation's indigenous people.

"When it says 'we are young' it completely disregards the Indigenous Australians who were here before us," she told ABC news Australia.

Controversial right-wing senator Pauline Hanson labelled Harper a brat.

The schoolgirl was given detention last week for "blatant disrespect" over her failure to participate with classmates during a rendition of the song at Kenmore South State School in Brisbane.

Harper, whose parents said they were "proud" of her for showing "incredible bravery", said she felt it was time to "raise awareness and get people thinking".

"When it was originally written, Advance Australia Fair meant advance the white people of Australia," she said in an interview with ABC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45495675

Back to top Go down

Harper Nielsen: Australian schoolgirl's national anthem protest Empty Re: Harper Nielsen: Australian schoolgirl's national anthem protest

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:50 am

Arrow

The only thing that made this story the international wonder that it is, was seeing a redneck politician (Pauline Hanson) and ex-pollie/commentator (Mark Latham) wanting a 9 year-old girl kicked out of school, dragged to the town square and pilloried, then sold into servitude to some One Nation hillbilly farming family...

Then a couple of the 'usual suspect' radio shock jocks and Murdoch rags picking up the story and running it over several days;  whinging about uppity children, should remember their place, should be seen and not heard, etc. ..

Otherwise, it would more likely have simply remained a regional Queensland story, and blown over fairly quick.

Forcing "patriotism" onto someone is pretty meaningless, anyways --  carries about as much weight, and honesty, as forced "apologies", or making someone shake hands with a bully..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Harper Nielsen: Australian schoolgirl's national anthem protest Empty Re: Harper Nielsen: Australian schoolgirl's national anthem protest

Post by nicko Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:49 am

Who put her up to it, Parents ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:59 am

nicko wrote:Who put her up to it,  Parents ?

All for the media mate and completely designed by the parents for notoriety for their daughter

This was nothing more than attention seeking constructed by the parents

The Aussie MP also needs to jog on for her vile words, but a 9 year old certainly would have not formed such a view herself

This was completely engineered by the parents and done so to make out, their daughter is some how a champion of Aboriginal rights.

Bullshit, they are using their daughter and I find that disgusting

This was clearly engineered to gain attention for their daughter

Its simple the national anthem which aborigines stand up to also

Australia is one of the most welcoming multicultural countries. Yes it has a bad past, but for this little girl, clearly brainwashed, by her parents. Did this to gain attention only

Again we have the divisive view with identity politics being played out here. How again its how the far left interpret words

The words she objects to is this

"Advance Australia Fair"

Which has been interpreted to mean by the identity politics brigade to mean as

"advance White Australia"

I mean seriously, WTF?

This is only done from how the phrase was also used in another song in Australian history called the "white Australian March"

So they have taken the view, because one phrase is found in each, that because of this, then in the anthem,
"Advance Australia Fair" is being seen as to do with whiteness.

I mean you seriously cannot make it up how warpoed the far left are. That is the bases for the argument against this phrase. That "Advance Australia Fair" was also used in a divisive song decades ago

For fuck sake

You see how the Far left engineer a view and no 9 year old would come up with such a warped view on such a phrase. Only people driven by divisive thinking and hate, with previosuly knowledge on the other song. So in no way did this girl form this view herself

Her parents taught her to think this way.

Her parents have decided to create a problem, which they devised themselves. As seen in no way does the anthem make a view on skin colour, they created this, One that does not even exist and its based off their own warped interpretation on this

I have been championing aboriginal rights and self determination for years

I dont see this family giving up their home for any of them

Hence they are full of shit and not true believers in the fight for rights of aboriginals

They are out to gain attention for themselves and to divide people further.

I cannot stand people like this, when to me , its child abuse. Using their own daughter for political means

That is disgusting

I remeber years ago at school and one Commie teacher during history lessons, started getting very political in the lesson, when I was in the third year of secondary school. I pulled him up on this and stated he should not be trying to politicise history, based on his political views. He tried to get me suspended, because I stood up to him. Normally my parents would be as pissed as hell, if I got in trouble at school and I would face a right hiding. In this instance, the only time, my late father took my side and was furious. He went to the school and stood by me. This teacher came close to being sack for lying about me and making a history class political. Its funny, but I came to be good friends with this teacher later after I left school and he admitted he was out of line. He used to frequent the same pub we all went out to.

Children should never be used as political pawns

So let me prove why this is bullshit

Lets look at the anthem

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature’s gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history’s page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We’ll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who’ve come across the seas
We’ve boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.

In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

I have bolded the parts to show, this has nothing to do with white skin but in fact to share and to have a view of togetherness. This view by the girls was as i say engineered by the parents and its divisive. It sought to divide Australians and that is what has been achieved. As in no way is the anthem based on white. That was created by the parents, to gain attention and use their daughter.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 am

Just as I thought !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:51 am

well despite didge's Nonsense about giving up homes for Aboriginal causes  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

she does have a point, but I don't think the song is racist, so much as lacks truth/respect for the Aboriginal peoples vast history..  

she is correct that is was very much for White Men originally, with previous changes removing references to ' Australia's Sons' and replacing with 'Australians All'. and a few other things. 

So in context: 
the Song is not old (we had 'God save the Queen' and 'Waltzing Matilda')
it has never been that popular (barely got selected over 'Waltzing Matilda'
and would be unlikely to win if it were voted on again now 

Most people agree we do have better options (mainly)

The Seekers - I Am Australian

there are other versus too but the first lot sums up why it's a better choice

I came from the dream-time
From the dusty red-soil plains
I am the ancient heart
The keeper of the flame
I stood upon the rocky shores
I watched the tall ships come
For forty thousand years I've been
The first Australian
I came upon the prison ship
Bowed down by iron chains
I bought the land, endured the lash
And waited for the rains
I'm a settler, I'm a farmer's wife
On a dry and barren run
A convict, then a free man
I became Australian
I'm the daughter of a digger
Who sought the mother lode
The girl became a woman 
On the long and dusty road
I'm a child of the Depression
I saw the good times come
I'm a bushie, I'm a battler
I am Australian

We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We'll share a dream and sing with one voice
"I am, you are, we are Australian"
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:59 am

Love the Seekers. Judith Durham has such a robust voice, and Keith Potger, on twelve-string guitar, gives the group a unique sound.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:50 am

No its not originally from the other song and even you admit its not racist Veya. Which then concludes the parents were thus using their daughter for political means and attention.

Like I said, welcome to the world of identity politics, which is further pushing people to the right and left.

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:05 am

Didge wrote:No its not originally from the other song and even you admit its not racist Veya. Which then concludes the parents were thus using their daughter for political means and attention.

Like I said, welcome to the world of identity politics, which is further pushing people to the right and left.

Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately for your bullshit snowflake bluster about some mythical "identity politics", doddery Dodger, we don't yet know enough about that girl's family as to label them with your right-wing-extremist Euro-centric snowflake psycho-babble labels...

What if one or both parents were found to have some Aboriginal blood in their ancestry..

That would really fuck your sophist nonsense, wouldn't it !
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:13 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Didge wrote:No its not originally from the other song and even you admit its not racist Veya. Which then concludes the parents were thus using their daughter for political means and attention.

Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately for your bullshit snowflake bluster about some mythical "identity politics",  doddery Dodger, we don't yet know enough about that girl's family as to label them with your right-wing-extremist Euro-centric snowflake psycho-babble labels...

What if one or both parents were found to have some Aboriginal blood in their ancestry..

That would really fuck your sophist nonsense, wouldn't it  !

Its very easy to see they taught their daughter this lie, as the song is not racist

You want to defend them, where they clearly used her for political purpose and attention

Is up to you

I already reasoned why and easily so

They have not claimed they have Aboriginal ancestry, have they?

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:53 am

She's been Brainwashed, a bit like Veya I reckon Laughing
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:09 am

veya_victaous wrote:
well despite didge's Nonsense about giving up homes for Aboriginal causes  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

she does have a point, but I don't think the song is racist, so much as lacks truth/respect for the Aboriginal peoples vast history..  

she is correct that is was very much for White Men originally, with previous changes removing references to ' Australia's Sons' and replacing with 'Australians All'. and a few other things. 

So in context: 
the Song is not old (we had 'God save the Queen' and 'Waltzing Matilda')
it has never been that popular (barely got selected over 'Waltzing Matilda'
and would be unlikely to win if it were voted on again now 

Most people agree we do have better options (mainly)

The Seekers - I Am Australian

there are other versus too but the first lot sums up why it's a better choice

I came from the dream-time
From the dusty red-soil plains
I am the ancient heart
The keeper of the flame
I stood upon the rocky shores
I watched the tall ships come
For forty thousand years I've been
The first Australian
I came upon the prison ship
Bowed down by iron chains
I bought the land, endured the lash
And waited for the rains
I'm a settler, I'm a farmer's wife
On a dry and barren run
A convict, then a free man
I became Australian
I'm the daughter of a digger
Who sought the mother lode
The girl became a woman 
On the long and dusty road
I'm a child of the Depression
I saw the good times come
I'm a bushie, I'm a battler
I am Australian

We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We'll share a dream and sing with one voice
"I am, you are, we are Australian"
Harper Nielsen: Australian schoolgirl's national anthem protest 2696538800

I like the version currently being shown on ABC television, as well...

Sung by students from Mt Druitt, with the first couple of stanzas sung by Aboriginal students in the language of the local Dharug people..

Unfortunately, it hasn't been uploaded to YouTube yet --  so everyone else on here will just have to wait yet a little while longer.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:14 am

It's not that it's racist so much as the song just sort of overlooks the aboriginals and as an act of reconciliation we could choose a better song.
Also it's not really in line with the 'current Australian story', which tries to be more favorable to the aboriginals outlook. to Which Anglos are just the first immigrants, so positive for all multiculturalism and put modern migration into perspective.

There is no real History behind Advance Australia Fair, I was 1 years old(1984) when it was officially chosen, it's already our 3rd anthem (if you don't include the numerous minor changes to the lyrics that have been made in the 34 years) , no reason we can't change it again Smile

Basically in my Opinion the Seekers Song is Just a Better song for our Anthem, it covers all the key points of 'respect', to every group our anthem should show respect to.  
Plus just better musically and more 'inspirational'..... Just 100% all round Superior Anthem  Cool
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:17 am

@wolf
what do you think it is a better anthem isn't it ?
G'Day
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:44 am

veya_victaous wrote:

It's not that it's racist so much as the song just sort of overlooks the aboriginals and as an act of reconciliation we could choose a better song.
Also it's not really in line with the 'current Australian story', which tries to be more favorable to the aboriginals outlook. to Which Anglos are just the first immigrants, so positive for all multiculturalism and put modern migration into perspective.

There is no real History behind Advance Australia Fair, I was 1 years old(1984) when it was officially chosen, it's already our 3rd anthem (if you don't include the numerous minor changes to the lyrics that have been made in the 34 years) , no reason we can't change it again Smile

Basically in my Opinion the Seekers Song is Just a Better song for our Anthem, it covers all the key points of 'respect', to every group our anthem should show respect to.  
Plus just better musically and more 'inspirational'..... Just 100% all round Superior Anthem  Cool

How has it suddenlly come to be see as over looking Aborignies, when they are Australins?

I will tell you

Identity politics, formed by the Far left

Hence the view the song is racist, is nonsense

I think the seekers song is nice

If you think that shoud be the anthem, then get more people on board to change it

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:48 pm

I like the current anthem and this song maybe the song is more inclusive and tells the story better.
The only problem is shortening it for sports events, which verses would you leave out or more importantly leave in without causing offence.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:37 pm

Didge wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

How has it suddenlly come to be see as over looking Aborignies, when they are Australins? It's not all of a Sudden, it's been in discussion for decades (almost since the song was officially chosen) , Since I was in school this has been raised 

I will tell you

Identity politics, formed by the Far left

Hence the view the song is racist, is nonsense

I think the seekers song is nice

If you think that shoud be the anthem, then get more people on board to change it  

There is some desire to change it (and flag) but Aussies are pretty lazy 
really we are better off just going through the process of becoming a republic 
as that will initiate the process of changing Anthem, flag and most importantly Constitution.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Didge wrote:A nine-year-old girl has stirred controversy after refusing to stand for Australia's national anthem in protest at alleged institutional racism. …..  

Ah there are parallels with ''taking the knee'' in the US, here.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Anyway Laughing The TUNE of a national anthem is just as important as the lyrics.
Outsiders may not understand the language, whereas musical harmonies & melodies need no translation.

At international sports tournaments when the anthems of the 3 winners on the  podium are sung, . . . some of the tunes are rousing, uplifting, life-affirming . . . . while others are just graveside dirges. No

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Jules wrote:
Didge wrote:A nine-year-old girl has stirred controversy after refusing to stand for Australia's national anthem in protest at alleged institutional racism. …..  

But to me, people politicising the national anthem, are not understanding how it is a unity for the American people

If your stand is against Trump, why act like Trump

He dodged the draft and thus is in no way patriotic.

To me, you stand together united by your anthem as a people, not segregate by skin colour. As you are only then living the in past.

You dont combat perceived views of prejudiced with police shootings, by segregating yourself as American people, when African Americans are American people. The thing you should be doing is uniting people together as one American people. Not further dividing this, which is what the Far right want, into making this about black and white

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Just commenting on the similarities between the 2 cases, that's all. Laughing

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:06 am

Didge wrote:
Jules wrote:

But to me, people politicising the national anthem, are not understanding how it is a unity for the American people

To me, you stand together united by your anthem as a people, not segregate by skin colour. As you are only then living the in past.

You dont combat perceived views of prejudiced with police shootings, by segregating yourself as American people, when African Americans are American people. The thing you should be doing is uniting people together as one American people. Not further dividing this, which is what the Far right want, into making this about black and white

You are not even close. The key to understanding America is understanding spiritual independence and the right to protest, self-govern and speak up. The American people are distinguishing themselves by standing up for African Americans.

In a way, didge, you are the worst communist I can imagine...you are always in favor of conformity and obedience. You just don't get American spiritualism.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:55 am

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

You are not even close.  The key to understanding America is understanding spiritual independence and the right to protest, self-govern and speak up.  The American people are distinguishing themselves by standing up for African Americans.

In a way, didge, you are the worst communist I can imagine...you are always in favor of conformity and obedience.  You just don't get American spiritualism.

Jackanory

What has the anthem that unites an entire people got to do with political protests?

Unless you are trying to divide people politically through race?

The very thing that the Far right want to happen

This has nothing to do with spiritualism in any sense of form, its  a view to see patriotism to the US as based on white people. Which like I say is what the Far right want.

In other words politicizing the one thing that most definately unites Americans and standing against this. Is self defeating

It further divides a society through identity politics

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Didge wrote:What has the anthem that unites an entire people got to do with political protests?

Everything. When one thinks about the meaning of the anthem:

My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of Liberty...

What do you think that means? Protest is exercising that Liberty. It doesn't say: "Sweet land of Subservience..."

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:What has the anthem that unites an entire people got to do with political protests?

Everything.  When one thinks about the meaning of the anthem:

Sweet land of Liberty...

What do you think that means?  Protest is exercising that Liberty.  It doesn't say: "Sweet land of Subservience..."

I think it means they have no concept of what liberty means , as you now wish to divide people by the very simple that unites them. Their anthem

I think liberty speaks for itself and is born from the liberty of Americans. It brought about and independent American peop[le to later have a war to end slavery and then have civil rights

Unless of course you do not see African Americans as Americans, then how can you not see that is liberty for all?

Unless you are a knuckle dragging Californian self loathing American, that has come to hate the colour of your skin

Even though your skin colour has zero to do with being American and Liberty

Then you are as much of the problem as Trump

You see racist mindless racists like you, will find any reason to back segregation in the US

Its no better than before the civil rights movement. You wish to make this ten times worse.

The US anthem, is something all Americans have stood by as a symbol.

For some then to use this as a means to get back a Trump. Is nothing but an own goal. They simple play into the hands of his racism and xenophobia

You seem to think he is the symbol of America

He is not, so why not stand for the anthem, unless you think the anthem stands for Trump and racism?

All you are doing is surrending a symbol to his hatred

Something that has always united Americans against hate

Only a clueless leftist, would back such division

The moment someone says they are not proud to be American, based off skin colour. Then that unity has no meaning anymore of unity between all people. It only further seeks to further divide people, when that nation was born out of a multitude of ethnic groups. Such thinking is only going to sow the seeds of more discontent failing to tackle the very wrongs of racism and xenophobia. Its only going to further fuel them.

What you do is use that symbol to unite against Trump[s hatred, but someone of your really poor intellect.

Cannot even see that

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:11 pm

+1
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 pm

Most people in free countries don't really understand the concept of liberty these days, they are too far away from it to understand what it means in real terms and how people had to fight to achieve it, sometimes over centuries.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Everything.  When one thinks about the meaning of the anthem:

Sweet land of Liberty...

What do you think that means?  Protest is exercising that Liberty.  It doesn't say: "Sweet land of Subservience..."

I think it means they have no concept of what liberty means , as you now wish to divide people by the very simple that unites them. Their anthem

I think liberty speaks for itself and is born from the liberty of Americans. It brought about and independent American peop[le to later have a war to end slavery and then have civil rights

Unless of course you do not see African Americans as Americans, then how can you not see that is liberty for all?

Unless you are a knuckle dragging Californian self loathing American, that has come to hate the colour of your skin

You see racist mindless racists like you, will find any reason to back segregation in the US

Its no better than before the civil rights movement. You wish to make this ten times worse.

For some then to use this as a means to get back a Trump. Is nothing but an own goal. They simple play into the hands of his racism and xenophobia

He is not, so why not stand for the anthem, unless you think the anthem stands for Trump and racism?

The moment someone says they are not proud to be American, based off skin colour. Then that unity has no meaning anymore of unity between all people. It only further seeks to further divide people, when that nation was born out of a multitude of ethnic groups. Such thinking is only going to sow the seeds of more discontent failing to tackle the very wrongs of racism and xenophobia. Its only going to further fuel them.

What you do is use that symbol to unite against Trump[s hatred, but someone of your really poor intellect.

Cannot even see that

Individualism is not division. It's independence.

You are following the path of Communism, conformity and submission.  Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Original Quill on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

Cannot even see that

Communism.  Conformity and submission.  Rolling Eyes

Does the national anthem for American stand for all Americans, including African Americans?

Yes or no?

That has nothing to do with communism

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down