NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars

+3
nicko
eddie
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Go down

Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars Empty Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:51 am

For those who are frequently told off for littering their vocabulary with swear words, perhaps a new defence might work: “I was just being honest.”

Researchers from the University of Cambridge, Maastricht University, Hong Kong university and Stanford found that those who swear more are more likely to be honest people.

The authors studied 276 people in a lab, the social interactions of 73,789 people on Facebook and measured the average profanity scores against the integrity index for each US state. Their study, which will be published in the Social Psychological and Personality Science journal, concluded “a consistent positive relationship between profanity and honesty; profanity was associated with less lying and deception at the individual level and with higher integrity at the society level”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/swear-wearing-honesty-lie-more-honest-facebook-psychology-cambride-university-maastricht-hong-kong-a7512601.html

This was a story that for me, but only when I thought about it, it became obvious. I've always instinctively understood that people who were comfortable enough to swear in front of me were more comfortable being honest and open about who they are.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars Empty Re: Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars

Post by eddie Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 pm

I cannot stand false conversations anyway. I yawn and bore easily if I feel people are being blah.

As for swearing, I have no problem with it and those that do are simply allowing someone else’s opinion that a word is “bad”.

I swear when I feel like it. Don’t like it, don’t listen.
Innit.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars Empty Re: Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars

Post by nicko Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:24 pm

I got into fights when young, because it was considered wrong to swear in front of a Woman.
Now nobody fucking cares !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:33 pm

I accept the way people talk but to be honest I dont particular like it if someone is effing and blinding all the time in conversation.

When I worked in clubs and behind a bar (though not for some years now) the vast majority of men didn't swear, and if one did usually someone (often another male) would tell them to watch their language.

Swearing online, even if it's directed at me rather than to me doesnt bother me one iota....I think the internet has sort of rendered bad language unnoticeable.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:33 pm

in Australia Swearing is largely acceptable in common usage.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:40 am

Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars ASuUeve

Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars 3408175593 Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars 3408175593 Don't like your co-workers who swear? At least they're probably not fucking liars 3408175593
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:08 am

Among people I don't know I tend to avoid swearing out if respect.

Among friends, family and colleagues though Twisted Evil

I think I actually love the c word (in a purely linguistic sense, of course). It just sounds so good Laughing

Can also agree with the honesty thing. If you are actively avoiding swearing then you might actively be hiding other things. (Not that I think all non swearers are dishonest, just those who deliberately avoid it).

I don't swear all the time though, but I am casual with in friendly conversations. I also never swear in front of older family members - old habits die hard, my mother'd kill me lol
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:21 am

I don't swear and I prefer that others don't in ordinary conversation, there are circumstances where its excusable, I work with someone who 'f's' almost every other word, its the way he is and no one takes any notice now well some of the older men don't like it themselves and especially in front of female workers . Its only a word I know but bing an old foggie, its not nice to me.
By the way I try to be as honest as possible without causing offence to anyone else for no important reason.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:30 am

Vintage wrote:I don't swear and I prefer that others don't in ordinary conversation, there are circumstances where its excusable, I work with someone who 'f's' almost every other word, its the way he is and no one takes any notice now well some of the older men don't like it themselves and especially in front of female workers . Its only a word I know but bing an old foggie, its not nice to me.
By the way I try to be as honest as possible without causing offence to anyone else for no important reason.

When I grew up, you could not say "bloody hell" or "damn". As you would then be in big trouble, but to me that was the time, culture that I grew up with.

I see some sense in what is being said, but also see some flaws. I agree when people are passionate and swear based in what they believe, they do tend to be honest. However some people swear for the sake of swearing and can understand where you are coming from Vintage. 

Does it make them honest?

Its difficult to say, as its simple a form of expression

I do think that the Uk has from the past a belief that certain words are taboo

Its odd though it is not, that the form of insults center around the genitals of females and males

To me this makes a good starting point and why to me, this must stem from a religious view of distain towards the gentitals of both male and females through sex. In reality these are only seen as terms of abuse. Even the word tit is seen as a form of abuse.

Can anyone here think why the genitals are seen as a form of abuse to say in common speech?

The c word though still retains a power to shock, but calling someone a dick, does not.

Why?

Its very odd how words have adpated and been seen to be offensive. 

I mean when you think about it, both male and female genitals are needed generally through sex to create life. So why would they be seen as insults?

I mean nobody uses and calls someone an arm or leg to insult them, why the sexual organs?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:37 am

I looked up the c word and was not aware of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

So is it again the view to see casual sex as something wrong and idiotic born from religion etc?

Or something else?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:56 am

Someone or something told people to dislike certain words so they did.

Hamsters on a wheel.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:31 am

eddie wrote:Someone or something told people to dislike certain words so they did.

Hamsters on a wheel.

That's part of coming up in a culture though, isn't it? That's what makes us human. If we were ruled by logic, we'd be computers.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:10 am

You’re right. I was called a “whore” once by someone I never thought would say that, and it hurt.

I guess it’s not the words as such, but the people who say them.

I stand corrected.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:53 am

eddie wrote:You’re right. I was called a “whore” once by someone I never thought would say that, and it hurt.

I stand corrected.

Of course words hurt. People who say that words mean nothing, and that you choose whether to be offended by them, are evil, gaslighting liars.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:06 am

*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:
eddie wrote:You’re right. I was called a “whore” once by someone I never thought would say that, and it hurt.

I stand corrected.

Of course words hurt. People who say that words mean nothing, and that you choose whether to be offended by them, are evil, gaslighting liars.

Words only have meaning, if you make them meaningful

They do litterally mean nothing and its only people through emotions that provide meaning to them

I mean if you read a book out loud to Eddie, why would she then be offended to the words you said verbatum?

If you said words with meaning behind your anger or love, thus emtioons, then they have meaning do they not?

Words really do not have meanings, only people make them mean something

Do you understand that Ben?

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:14 am

I stand corrected.

I agree with that....if someone you respect or love says something to you harshly, be it a swear word or a comment, it has the power to affect you. If s stranger or someone who you dont care for says the same....it' worthless really.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Syl wrote:

I stand corrected.

I agree with that....if someone you respect or love says something to you harshly, be it a swear word or a comment, it has the power to affect you. If s stranger or someone who you dont care for says the same....it' worthless really.

Yes, you’re right. It’s the intention behind it that is disgusting.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down