NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says!

+4
Andy
Original Quill
Ben Reilly
eddie
8 posters

Go down

Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says! Empty Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says!

Post by eddie Tue May 01, 2018 9:02 pm

Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says! 00279310

They may seem as Swedish as Ikea and Abba, but Sweden has admitted its iconic meatballs actually originate from Turkey.

The country's official Twitter account tweeted: “Swedish meatballs are actually based on a recipe King Charles XII brought home from Turkey in the early 18th century. Let's stick to the facts!”

Known as "köfte" in Turkey, the minced meat pressed into a ball and - in Sweden - topped with gravy, is a popular dish around the world.

Responses to the tweet varied from dismay, to celebration of the truth coming to light.

King Charles XII used food as a way to help boost the relationships between the two countries.

After losing a war with Russia in the early 1700s, the king was exiled in the Ottoman Empire near Bender Moldova for five years before coming back to Sweden. Along with meatballs, he brought coffee and stuffed cabbages, specialities from Istanbul.

The Swedish account added: "Mind you we love coffee even more than meatballs! At one point we even had a coffee prohibition in Sweden!”

The Swedish account spent time replying to cheeky tweets and admiration for others things Swedish as well as Turkish.

Some felt heartbroken about the surprise of the origin of meatballs while other celebrated the truth coming to light.

“My whole life has been a lie,” tweeted one Swedish user, Örjan Johansson, in response.

“There must have been a reason why the Turkish people embraced something from Sweden so willingly. Ikea equals meatballs for many of us", said another,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/01/swedish-meatballs-turkish-sweden-says/
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says! Empty Re: Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says!

Post by eddie Tue May 01, 2018 9:03 pm

That bowl of meatballs looks like a pile of dog turd sprinkled with grass.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says! Empty Re: Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says!

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 pm

I love me some Swedish meatballs, particularly the ones that turned out to be made from horse meat. Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says! 3922118137 Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says! 3922118137 Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says! 3922118137
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue May 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:I love me some Swedish meatballs, particularly the ones that turned out to be made from horse meat. Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says! 3922118137 Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says! 3922118137 Swedish meatballs are Turkish, Sweden says! 3922118137

That might be the reason you keep galloping around though and eating sugar lumps.
Just saying.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue May 01, 2018 10:07 pm

I have a Danish friend who owns three restaurants in the North Bay, who claims they are actually Danish meat balls. He serves then in his more formal place.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 pm

Looks like a load of bollocks.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed May 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Angry Andy wrote:
Looks like a load of bollocks.

Cool

What's that  ???

Bulls' balls, d'ya reckon, young Andy  !!!

Personally, I blame that "Swedish Chef" on the Muppets, for spreading those rumours that those Turkish Balls were supposedly Swedish  !         tongue
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed May 02, 2018 5:28 pm

eddie wrote:That bowl of meatballs looks like a pile of dog turd sprinkled with grass.

It does, doesn't it?

I make awesome meatballs in a rich wine and tomato and garlic sauce. They are legendary with my family and friends. Anytime we have a get together they're like....are you making your meatballs?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Wed May 02, 2018 7:10 pm

More like horse droppings sprinkled with grass to me.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed May 02, 2018 8:09 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:That bowl of meatballs looks like a pile of dog turd sprinkled with grass.

It does, doesn't it?  

I make awesome meatballs in a rich wine and tomato and garlic sauce.   They are legendary with my family and friends.    Anytime we have a get together they're like....are you making your meatballs?

I do like a nice wine sauce. If you make me quorn ones I’ll pop over for dinner one day. cheers
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed May 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Load of bollocks!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed May 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Load of bollocks!!!

This is one of the rare occasions where your favourite saying actually makes sense.
Have a green. cheers
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down