NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese government has begun stripping rights from those who piss it off -- and it's just going to get worse

5 posters

Go down

Chinese government has begun stripping rights from those who piss it off -- and it's just going to get worse Empty Chinese government has begun stripping rights from those who piss it off -- and it's just going to get worse

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 01, 2018 8:22 pm

Chinese investigative journalist Liu Hu found out he was blacklisted when he tried to buy a flight to Guangzhou last year. After several airlines rejected his booking, Liu discovered that China’s government was keeping a list of “untrustworthy” people who were banned from flying—and that he was on it.

Liu had fallen afoul of Beijing in 2016 after he made a series of claims on social media accusing officials of corruption. He was forced to pay a fine and apologize, and when he did so he thought the case was closed. However, it wasn’t: Not only has Liu been barred from flying, but his new status as a “dishonest person” comes alongside a slew of other restrictions.

“My life [is] very inconvenient,” he told Newsweek. “I’m also not allowed to purchase property, I can’t send my daughter to a good school or travel on high-speed trains.”

Liu was surprised to find he had been caught up in China’s so-called social credit system, a scheme first proposed in 2014, when Beijing announced that it would use data to monitor and rank the behavior of its citizens, rewarding those that score high and punishing those that score low. Under the system, the elite will gain access to better social privileges and those who rank closer to the bottom will effectively be second-class citizens. By 2020, the scheme is set to become mandatory for all 1.4 billion of China’s citizens.

http://www.newsweek.com/china-social-credit-system-906865

That just sounds horrifying. Maybe a step toward becoming a massive, powerful version of North Korea?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Chinese government has begun stripping rights from those who piss it off -- and it's just going to get worse Empty Re: Chinese government has begun stripping rights from those who piss it off -- and it's just going to get worse

Post by Victorismyhero Tue May 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:
Chinese investigative journalist Liu Hu found out he was blacklisted when he tried to buy a flight to Guangzhou last year. After several airlines rejected his booking, Liu discovered that China’s government was keeping a list of “untrustworthy” people who were banned from flying—and that he was on it.

Liu had fallen afoul of Beijing in 2016 after he made a series of claims on social media accusing officials of corruption. He was forced to pay a fine and apologize, and when he did so he thought the case was closed. However, it wasn’t: Not only has Liu been barred from flying, but his new status as a “dishonest person” comes alongside a slew of other restrictions.

“My life [is] very inconvenient,” he told Newsweek. “I’m also not allowed to purchase property, I can’t send my daughter to a good school or travel on high-speed trains.”

Liu was surprised to find he had been caught up in China’s so-called social credit system, a scheme first proposed in 2014, when Beijing announced that it would use data to monitor and rank the behavior of its citizens, rewarding those that score high and punishing those that score low. Under the system, the elite will gain access to better social privileges and those who rank closer to the bottom will effectively be second-class citizens. By 2020, the scheme is set to become mandatory for all 1.4 billion of China’s citizens.

http://www.newsweek.com/china-social-credit-system-906865

That just sounds horrifying. Maybe a step toward becoming a massive, powerful version of North Korea?

The idea of "citizenship points" is in fact a very good idea IF it is predicated soley on rewarding good behaviourand ONLY criminaland "court worthy anti social behaviour can result in loss of points

also the baseline must be fair and no one must be able to drop below that point....

However I see nothing wrong with giving a secondary level student "extra points" for exemplary attendance and results, nor for giving that same student exra points for studying "socially usefull" subjects like first aid and sign language in extra curricular classes.....
Nor should the scrote who is an habitual petty criminal be spared losing such points for his misdemeanors.

And as an adult ..if you contribute to the community ...you keep getting points

what do you get for extra points

a higher tax code?
lower loan rates?
part of your student fees paid?
higher maternity benefits
perhaps higher "other benefits"?
a higher pension?
lower insurance costs (becasue as a demonstrably socially resaponsible person you are less of a risk?)

ONLY a left wing crap hole could turn such a scheme into a tool of repression..........
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Chinese government has begun stripping rights from those who piss it off -- and it's just going to get worse Empty Re: Chinese government has begun stripping rights from those who piss it off -- and it's just going to get worse

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Well ... this scheme sounds a lot less like something you're describing, and a lot more like a system of depriving people who are a nuisance to the government.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue May 01, 2018 9:23 pm

agreed...see my last line in the above post
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue May 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Lord Foul wrote:agreed...see my last line in the above post

I don't think I'd be comfortable with any system like that in place where I lived, because what's socially desirable can shift so easily with different regimes. I could easily see Trump deciding that people agitating for more pay, for example, were undesirable.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue May 01, 2018 9:47 pm

So he wrote some stuff claiming the government were corrupt and they didn’t like it so they did some corrupt stuff to fuck up his life thereby proving him right?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue May 01, 2018 10:01 pm

Victor wrote:ONLY a left wing crap hole could turn such a scheme into a tool of repression..........

And yet, who idolizes the Chinese and Russian authoritarian governments more than anybody?

None other than our RW hero, the pussy-grabber.  Who wants a "back channel" to Putin, and who wants to award most favorable trade status to China? He adores authoritarianism, as long as it's on his side.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed May 02, 2018 11:26 am

Lord Foul wrote:
agreed...see my last line in the above post

Smile

I don't see any special reasons why right-wing crap holes like tje USA under Trump and his goons, or nationalist Russia under Putin,  couldn't also eventually descend into similar situations...

IF their current governments were allowed to carry along on their merry ways, gradually handing over more and more control to the corporatists and elites..

Disenfranchising the unemployed, disabled, poor families and communities, average workers, even certain ethnicities and religious groups,  is already on the policy wishlists for many business groups and their lickspit right-wing political hacks.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down