NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tories caught fiddling the figures again - Flood defences this time

3 posters

Go down

Tories caught fiddling the figures again - Flood defences this time Empty Tories caught fiddling the figures again - Flood defences this time

Post by Irn Bru Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 pm

HM Treasury told us that the scale was chosen to create a legible representation while recognising the disparities in the scale of investment between sectors. While I note that the use of a logarithmic scale is clearly indicated in the text of the report, and the figures underlying the chart are presented in a separate table, my view is that the chart could leave readers with a false impression of the relative size of investment between sectors. I enclose an alternative presentation of these figures prepared by Statistics Authority officials (Annex B).

Charts available here...

http://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/reports---correspondence/correspondence/letter-from-sir-andrew-dilnot-to-chris-leslie-mp-06022014.pdf

And here...

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/coalition-rebuked-again-uk-statistics-authority-time-flood-defence-spending
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Tories caught fiddling the figures again - Flood defences this time Empty Re: Tories caught fiddling the figures again - Flood defences this time

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:46 pm

After entering office in 2010, David Cameron promised to lead "the most open and transparent government in the world". But once again, the coalition has fallen foul of the number crunchers at the UK Statistics Authority. This time, the dispute centres over the Treasury's presentation of figures on infrastructure investment in the government's National Infrastructure Plan.

When the document was published last December, several were struck by how the unusual logarithmic scale used on one of the graphs made it appear as if investment was balanced across all sectors, including, most pertinently, flood defence. In fact, the government had spent £4bn in this area, compared to £218bn on energy, £121bn on transport and £14bn on communications. But the graph, as shadow chief secretary to the Treasury Chris Leslie noted in a letter to UK Statistics Authority head Andrew Dilnot, suggested otherwise.

Cooooo! That's everso even isn't it!

Back to top Go down

Tories caught fiddling the figures again - Flood defences this time Empty Re: Tories caught fiddling the figures again - Flood defences this time

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:47 pm

Perhaps Chris Smith had to make some difficult decisions? Maybe?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Sassy wrote:Perhaps Chris Smith had to make some difficult decisions?   Maybe?

Since Smith is running an agency which had to take on board much of the work - and practically all the failings - of the terminally incompetent former Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, I'm inclined to feel quite sorry for the bloke.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Well, with a budget like that and the size of the problem, so am I.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain May Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:34 pm

Let me see now for decades hey dredged the rivers when weather was normal. Now they don't. The same dept spent £2.5 million on PR but hadn't enough to find £100k.

You really are a stalwart for the Labour party but its wearing bit thin your defence.

5/10 Must try harder

Try to introduce a little reality and a little originality into your argument next time.. Nice photograph self portrait?

Captain May
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Seamen Staines wrote:Let me see now for decades hey dredged the rivers when weather was normal. Now they don't. The same dept spent £2.5 million on PR but hadn't enough to find £100k.

You really are a stalwart for the Labour party but its wearing  bit thin your defence.

5/10 Must try harder

Try to introduce a little reality and a little originality into your argument next time.. Nice photograph self portrait?

The Tories fiddled the figures on flood defence spending and they cut the budget as well - FACT.

Just live with it.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Seamen Staines wrote:Let me see now for decades hey dredged the rivers when weather was normal. Now they don't. The same dept spent £2.5 million on PR but hadn't enough to find £100k.

You really are a stalwart for the Labour party but its wearing  bit thin your defence.

5/10 Must try harder

The Tories fiddled the figures on flood defence spending and they cut the budget as well - FACT.

Just live with it.

Dear me more of the blame game, whilst ignoring what little Labour did whilst in power, I think this highlights this point very well:

Ed Miliband was met with a fierce response by a local MP, who accused him of visiting the flood-hit town of Purley, Berkshire, for a "photo opportunity".
Alok Sharma, Tory MP for Reading West, branded Miliband a "Westminster flood tourist" and said that local residents were "not interested" in politicians coming to visit for a photo opportunity.
"The issue is Mr Miliband, why are you actually here?" he added.
The Labour leader said he would do "everything" possible to 'persuade the Government' to help the local residents, but Sharma attacked Labour's record on flood defences and accused them of not taking action in 2003.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/11/ed-miliband-floods-alok-sharma_n_4766468.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:58 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

5/10 Must try harder

Just live with it.

Dear me more of the blame game, whilst ignoring what little Labour did whilst in power, I think this highlights this point very well:

Ed Miliband was met with a fierce response by a local MP, who accused him of visiting the flood-hit town of Purley, Berkshire, for a "photo opportunity".
Alok Sharma, Tory MP for Reading West, branded Miliband a "Westminster flood tourist" and said that local residents were "not interested" in politicians coming to visit for a photo opportunity.
The Labour leader said he would do "everything" possible to 'persuade the Government' to help the local residents, but Sharma attacked Labour's record on flood defences and accused them of not taking action in 2003.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/11/ed-miliband-floods-alok-sharma_n_4766468.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

I posted my thoughts on the blame game a couple of days ago on here in that the politicians should pack it in and just get on with it. Thanks for the quote that you posted about Alok Sharma trying to pin the blame on Labour which just shows it hasn't stopped.

Of course that's the Alok Sharma that voted for the cuts in flood defence spending which was debated and voted on in the HoC in 2011.

You can read about here...

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmhansrd/cm111026/debtext/111026-0003.htm#11102646000002

Poor choice Didge. He's part to the very problem he's complaining about.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 pm

I saw Ed's interview, which he actually praised Cameron for 'upping the game' and said that this was far too important to play party politics with. Good for him.

When the country faced severe flooding in 2007, Labour established the Pitt Review to ensure that lessons were learnt. Immediate action was taken to implement its 92 recommendations. Most importantly, funding for flood protection was significantly increased, from below half a billion before the 2007 floods to £670.1million by the time of the last election. Immediately on taking office David Cameron approved a £97million cut in funding for flood protection, taking it back to £573million in 2011/12 – a 17 per cent real terms cut in one year. Of course tough decisions have had to be made on spending to reduce the deficit, including within DEFRA, but abandoning flood protection was the wrong choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Captain May wrote:Let me see now for decades hey dredged the rivers when weather was normal. Now they don't. The same dept spent £2.5 million on PR but hadn't enough to find £100k.

5/10 Must try harder

Whoa, the mask is really slipping Mr Top Gear.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:03 pm

...it seems everything these Conservatits touch turns to shite and misery, get them out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

I posted my thoughts on the blame game a couple of days ago on here in that the politicians should pack it in and just get on with it. Thanks for the quote that you posted about Alok Sharma trying to pin the blame on Labour which just shows it hasn't stopped.

Of course that's the Alok Sharma that voted for the cuts in flood defence spending which was debated and voted on in the HoC in 2011.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmhansrd/cm111026/debtext/111026-0003.htm#11102646000002

No you and sassy thrive on such stupid blame games, when neither of you actually care about the situations, otherwise you would gladly open up with the failings of all those when in power doing little to stem this problem.
It is utterly pathetic Irn

What this shows is both sides do the same but you and sassy take it to new levels of absurdity to scoring points, so you claim people should pack it in and in the next breath post this, talk about a contradiction

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 pm

Sassy wrote:
Captain May wrote:Let me see now for decades hey dredged the rivers when weather was normal. Now they don't. The same dept spent £2.5 million on PR but hadn't enough to find £100k.

5/10 Must try harder

Whoa, the mask is really slipping Mr Top Gear.

It's aye easy to spot Drinky  Laughing 

If he leaned to the right any further he would fall on his arse!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Sassy wrote:I saw Ed's interview, which he actually praised Cameron for 'upping the game' and said that this was far too important to play party politics with.   Good for him.

When the country faced severe flooding in 2007, Labour established the Pitt Review to ensure that lessons were learnt. Immediate action was taken to implement its 92 recommendations. Most importantly, funding for flood protection was significantly increased, from below half a billion before the 2007 floods to £670.1million by the time of the last election. Immediately on taking office David Cameron approved a £97million cut in funding for flood protection, taking it back to £573million in 2011/12 – a 17 per cent real terms cut in one year. Of course tough decisions have had to be made on spending to reduce the deficit, including within DEFRA, but abandoning flood protection was the wrong choice.

Alok Sharma's voting record tells you all that his rant today was nothing more than an attempt to embarrass Ed Milliband but his record on the cuts is there for all to see.

What a bummer eh?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:10 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

No you and sassy thrive on such stupid blame games, when neither of you actually care about the situations, otherwise you would gladly open up with the failings of all those when in power doing little to stem this problem.

What this shows is both sides do the same but you and sassy take it to new levels of absurdity to scoring points, so you claim people should pack it in and in the next breath post this, talk about a contradiction

No, they fiddled the figures to create a false impression on what is spent on flood defences. That's important and it is only right that these things are made known and I'll do that just that rather than just sweep it under the carpet.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:13 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

No, they fiddled the figures to create a false impression on what is spent on flood defences. That's important and it is only right that these things are made known and I'll do that just that rather than just sweep it under the carpet.

And Labour has never done the same over giving figures?

Do me a favour Irn, I bet you jumped up and down over Labour when they have done the same in the past also.

Not

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:15 pm

That's really desperate. Would you like to show where it has been done?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Sassy wrote:That's really desperate.   Would you like to show where it has been done?

Are you telling me Labour has never lied over figures?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 pm

Well, you obviously think they have, so produce the evidence. The evidence on this has already been produced.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Sassy wrote:Well, you obviously think they have, so produce the evidence.   The evidence on this has already been produced.

I will do when you either answer yes or no, it is a simple question, one you evade answering, even Irn is not silly to go there, so why are you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Put up or shut up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:30 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Do me a favour Irn, I bet you jumped up and down over Labour when they have done the same in the past also.

Not

So because Labour may have done it in the past means we should just say nothing about the Tories fiddling the figures to create a false impression on the spending on flood defences. Is that what you are saying?

You were quick enough to jump right in with Tory attack on Miliband which just shows what a hypocrite he is when all the time he voted to cut the spending on flood defences. I'm sure the the bit about what Sharma is doing is doing the rounds elsewhere so if you see it I suppose you'll do the right thing and point out his voting record.

Last edited by Irn Bru on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Not

So because Labour may have done it in the past means we should just say nothing about the Tories fiddling the figures to create a false impression on the spending on flood defences. Is that what you are saying?

You were quick enough to jump right in with Tory attack on Miliband which just shows what a hypocrite he is when all the time he voted to cut the spending on flood defences. I'm sure the the bit about Sharma is doing the rounds elsewhere so if you see it I suppose you'll do the right thing and point out his voting record.

I said you show hypocrisy as no doubt where labour have lied you have no doubt tried to defend them only to then have a go at when the Tories do, nothing more than pot kettle black, you either condemn both or your view is moot, as the same principles apply!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Sassy wrote:Put up or shut up.

No I will not shut up, try answering the question, yes or no?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:44 pm

You made the allegation, you provide the evidence. If you can't, then you have no case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:45 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Not

You were quick enough to jump right in with Tory attack on Miliband which just shows what a hypocrite he is when all the time he voted to cut the spending on flood defences. I'm sure the the bit about Sharma is doing the rounds elsewhere so if you see it I suppose you'll do the right thing and point out his voting record.

I said you show hypocrisy as no doubt where labour have lied you have no doubt tried to defend them only to then have a go at when the Tories do, nothing more than pot kettle black, you either condemn both or your view is moot, as the same principles apply!

Show me the lies as confirmed by a reliable source and I'll condemn them.

Now be true to your values and condemn the Tories for fiddling the figures to create a false impression on flood defence spending and Sharma and the Tory Party voting to cut flood defence spending.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:47 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Now be true to your values and condemn the Tories for fiddling the figures to create a false impression on flood defence spending and Sharma and the Tory Party voting to cut flood defence spending.

Still not grasping the concept are you?

How about something close to home for you?

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7408-labour-party-lied-over-true-worth-of-north-sea-oil-admits-former-chancellor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:47 pm

Exactly, you produce the evidence Didge, if it is proved I'll condemn it and you condemn what the Tories have done with this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:48 pm

Sassy wrote:You made the allegation, you provide the evidence.   If you can't, then you have no case.

As usual Sassy does the copout dance

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:52 pm

Dennis Healey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: 

Trying to stop Scotland voting for Home Rule. Wow, that certainly damaged a lot of the country, cause havoc in the Shires, washed away the railway, stopped food production.

Yes Dennis Healey was a naughty boy and deserves a smacked bum for that.

Now, don't you think the Tories by pretending to spend money on flood defences that they haven't done, and taking all that money from the scheme that Labour set up have cause untold havoc?

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:54 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7408-labour-party-lied-over-true-worth-of-north-sea-oil-admits-former-chancellor

I''ll check that out but I see you still can't condemn the Tories can you?

You just can't do it.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 pm

So you are saying they did not lie over this then?

Odd

I though the point was about lying on figures, it seems to sassy it is a good joke, so the same rule applies that we can all laugh about the flood now with sassy's illogical views

How odd indeed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:57 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

You just can't do it.

As stated when anyone lies it is wrong, full stop, I do not use such methods as you do to score points but to point out complete hypocrisy.
Again you can hardly bash one when you do not bash the other, which is no wonder why many people are getting fed up of the main parties if this is how thy carry on

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 pm

PhilDidge wrote:So you are saying they did not lie over this then?

Odd

I though the point was about lying on figures, it seems to sassy it is a good joke, so the same rule applies that we can all laugh about the flood now with sassy's illogical views

How odd indeed

Oh dear, who's not grasping what?   I was laughing that you had to go back to the 1970s lol

And I have been shouting about the floods on the The Levels for weeks, because I used to live in Somerset and have friends in Burrowbridge, a place I love.

I also, in the first thread about the floods said that THEY ALL needed to get their fingers out, because it was going to get worse, so stuff you condescending where the sun don't shine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:04 pm

Sassy wrote:

Odd

How odd indeed

Oh dear, who's not grasping what?   I was laughing that you had to go back to the 1970s lol

And I have been shouting about the floods on the The Levels for weeks, because I used to live in Somerset and have friends in Burrowbridge, a place I love.

I also, in the first thread about the floods said that THEY ALL needed to get their fingers out, because it was going to get worse, so stuff you condescending where the sun don't shine.

It was just an example of which there are plenty, the sad reality is you are so clouded in your bias for Labour you will excuse them anything as seen and prove my point

I do not need to stuff anything as seen some labour supporters are just about the worst hypocrites you will ever find

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:14 pm

So, do you condemn them for fiddling the figures and taking money from flood defenses while pretending they weren't?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:16 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

You just can't do it.

As stated when anyone lies it is wrong, full stop, I do not use such methods as you do to score points but to point out complete hypocrisy.
Again you can hardly bash one when you do not bash the other, which is no wonder why many people are getting fed up of the main parties if this is how thy carry on

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:02 am

PhilDidge wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

You just can't do it.

Right Didge I've checked that out and Labour underplayed the true value of Scotland's oil so I condemn that and I really should be asking for Healey and the Westminster government to apologise to the people of Scotland for failing to show that we were in fact a nation rich in wealth most of which was squandered by Thatcher and I would hope that you would agree with that.

So now that I have done that can you now bring yourself to condemn the Tories for fiddling the figures on flood defence spending and Sharma and the Tories for cutting the flood defence budget.

Your move...
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:42 am

Sassy wrote:

Odd

How odd indeed

Sassy, sorry to mention it but I really must: Labour, and in particular people in here, still repeatedly go back to the 1970's and 80's; Margaret Thatcher is still being blamed for practically ever ill that has befallen the country ever since.

You're right about "them all" needing to get their fingers out now, but Labour do have to take some of the stick for past deficiencies in flood protection policies.

You may well know the Somerset Levels far better than I do, but I do know that the protection of the Essex and Suffolk coastline has been a matter of serious contention for decades and that no government has been prepared to spend what was necessary.

In fact I think that it was felt by both governing parties, back to the time of Labour's agriculture minister Fred Peart and probably beyond, that thousands of acres of prime food-producing land in that area, and the homes and livelihoods of many of those working in farming and associated industries, should simply be abandoned in order to avoid the cost of schemes such as sea wall strengthening and lengthening, dredging and berm construction.

It is known as "coastal retreat."

I haven't been professionally involved since I retired in 1999, so I don't know how things stand now, but I do recall vividly the anger of many mainly rural people at the realisation that all the promises and usual talk of "lessons learned" after the deadly and disastrous 1953 east coast flood didn't amount to a row of beans...and that both Labour and Tory governments were responsible.

The east coast only narrowly escaped a similar tidal surge only a matter of months ago, and if these storms hitting us now happened to be coming across the North Sea rather than the Atlantic (I know that's far less likely, before any of the armchair experts tell me) then that's where most of the damage and destruction would be occurring now.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:11 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Sassy, sorry to mention it but I really must: Labour, and in particular people in here, still repeatedly go back to the 1970's and 80's; Margaret Thatcher is still being blamed for practically ever ill that has befallen the country ever since.

You're right about "them all" needing to get their fingers out now, but Labour do have to take some of the stick for past deficiencies in flood protection policies.

You may well know the Somerset Levels far better than I do, but I do know that the protection of the Essex and Suffolk coastline has been a matter of serious contention for decades and that no government has been prepared to spend what was necessary.

In fact I think that it was felt by both governing parties, back to the time of Labour's agriculture minister Fred Peart and probably beyond, that thousands of acres of prime food-producing land in that area, and the homes and livelihoods of many of those working in farming and associated industries, should simply be abandoned in order to avoid the cost of schemes such as sea wall strengthening and lengthening, dredging and berm construction.

I haven't been professionally involved since I retired in 1999, so I don't know how things stand now, but I do recall vividly the anger of many mainly rural people at the realisation that all the promises and usual talk of "lessons learned" after the deadly and disastrous 1953 east coast flood didn't amount to a row of beans...and that both Labour and Tory governments were responsible.

The east coast only narrowly escaped a similar tidal surge only a matter of months ago, and if these storms hitting us now happened to be coming across the North Sea rather than the Atlantic (I know that's far less likely, before any of the armchair experts tell me) then that's where most of the damage and destruction would be occurring now.

Why did the taxpayer have to foot some of her funeral bill Ed?, a woman who was vote rigging as Irn quite rightly pointed out.

She is a bad memory for the majority and only remembered fondly by those with more money than sense.

I'm not saying I'm glad she dies, as she was a human being too, but for the amount of lives she ruined , she is best forgotten now she is gone, what is done is done and the people she drove to their deaths should be the ones remembered more than her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 am

She was a British Prime Minister JD.

What I want to know is - why do we borrow money to give to other countries?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Joy Division wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Why did the taxpayer have to foot some of her funeral bill Ed?, a woman who was vote rigging as Irn quite rightly pointed out.

She is a bad memory for the majority and only remembered fondly by those with more money than sense.

I'm not saying I'm glad she dies, as she was a human being too, but for the amount of lives she ruined , she is best forgotten now she is gone, what is done is done and the people she drove to their deaths should be the ones remembered more than her.

Because, as I have frequently said before, she was a former elected Prime Minister of this country and in my opinion deserved a full state funeral.

Whether you like her or not, she led the party which governed this country for getting on for a decade and was returned to power by popular vote on more than one occasion.

We certainly cannot say the same of Gordon Brown, who was never elected, stupidly ducked the opportunity of confronting the nation in a general election at a time when he might well have stood a sporting chance of winning it, and who was deservedly kicked out in May 2010.

Having said that, I strongly believe that Brown, too, should be afforded a state funeral when he pops his clogs, as should Tony Blair and John Major...because although none of them was Head of State under our constitution, they were certainly the Monarch's First Minister and that achievement alone is worthy of full recognition by the nation.

And as to "vote-rigging", JD, you don't have travel very far in Bonny Scotland to find pretty blatant and far more recent evidence of that, so you?
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Because, as I have frequently said before, she was a former elected Prime Minister of this country and in my opinion deserved a full state funeral.

Whether you like her or not, she led the party which governed this country for getting on for a decade and was returned to power by popular vote on more than one occasion.

We certainly cannot say the same of Gordon Brown, who was never elected, stupidly ducked the opportunity of confronting the nation in a general election at a time when he might well have stood a sporting chance of winning it, and who was deservedly kicked out in May 2010.

Having said that, I strongly believe that Brown, too, should be afforded a state funeral when he pops his clogs, as should Tony Blair and John Major...because although none of them was Head of State under our constitution, they were certainly the Monarch's First Minister and that achievement alone is worthy of full recognition by the nation.

And as to "vote-rigging", JD, you don't have travel very far in Bonny Scotland to find pretty blatant and far more recent evidence of that, so you?

...tbh Ed, I've never followed the Falkirk stuff, but last I did hear there was no evidence of rigging ?

But Miliband and Darling rightly called for an investigation, I don't like dishonesty like that, I've been no angel myself in the past, but have no time for cheating, be it MP's or Union members.

As for Margaret Thatchers's funeral, I thought you might say only she deserved a state funeral and none of the others...

So, I must agree after all on that if Blair, Brown and Major were to have one..
Yes, all ex heads of state should have one, never just one, as I thought you meant!  Embarassed 

Either all ex heads of state to have a state funeral or none.

Will they all get one for sure though?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:16 pm

Joy Division wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

...tbh Ed, I've never followed the Falkirk stuff, but last I did hear there was no evidence of rigging ?

But Miliband and Darling rightly called for an investigation, I don't like dishonesty like that, I've been no angel myself in the past, but have no time for cheating, be it MP's or Union members.

As for Margaret Thatchers's funeral, I thought you might say only she deserved a state funeral and none of the others...

So, I must agree after all on that if Blair, Brown and Major were to have one..
Yes, all ex heads of state should have one, never just one, as I thought you meant!  Embarassed 

Either all ex heads of state to have a state funeral or none.

Will they all get one for sure though?

Our Head of State is the Queen, and she'll certainly get one as of absolute right; in fact hers will be a Royal state funeral

I'm absolutely unshakable in my opinion that this honour should automatically extend to all former and serving PMs, if for no other reason that it is the highest public office which can be achieved outside royalty. The only exceptions should be if they are removed from office for criminal or anti-constitutional activities or convicted of a serious crime after leaving office.

I doubt very much whether Major, Blair, Brown or Cameron will receive a state funeral; after all Thatcher did not get one - hers was a formal "ceremonial funeral" and I believe she was the first commoner to be afforded the honour.

However, I personally would regard it as a travesty of justice if our three surviving ex-PMs and the present incumbent were not treated equally.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Thatcher, who was more divisive than any other PM on record, should never have been given a state funeral.

But I digress, after the 2007 floods the money for flood defenses was upped. Labour established the Pitt Review to ensure that lessons were learnt. Immediate action was taken to implement its 92 recommendations. Most importantly, funding for flood protection was significantly increased, from below half a billion before the 2007 floods to £670.1million by the time of the last election. Immediately on taking office David Cameron approved a £97million cut in funding for flood protection, taking it back to £573million in 2011/12 – a 17 per cent real terms cut in one year, followed by another of nearly the same amount the year after.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Sassy wrote:Thatcher, who was more divisive than any other PM on record, should never have been given a state funeral.

But I digress, after the 2007 floods the money for flood defenses was upped.  Labour established the Pitt Review to ensure that lessons were learnt. Immediate action was taken to implement its 92 recommendations. Most importantly, funding for flood protection was significantly increased, from below half a billion before the 2007 floods to £670.1million by the time of the last election. Immediately on taking office David Cameron approved a £97million cut in funding for flood protection, taking it back to £573million in 2011/12 – a 17 per cent real terms cut in one year, followed by another of nearly the same amount the year after.  

Your comment on Margaret Thatcher is your opinion, Sassy, and you are entitled to it. But it remains your opinion and very many people, myself included, disagree with you.

In any case, she was not granted a state funeral; it was a ceremonial funeral.

The only former PMs to receive a state funeral were Wellington, Palmerston, Gladstone and Churchill.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down