NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religion evolves

4 posters

Go down

Religion evolves  Empty Religion evolves

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:18 am

So sorry to those who are offended by novel ideas, but

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Religion evolves  Empty Re: Religion evolves

Post by veya_victaous Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:58 am

I've said this previously Wink

but having listened to it and some of his other tracks he is still stuck in the Abrahamic preconceptions
even in that song he says 12,000 years since man invented religion, the oldest Rainbow serpent site is close to 40,000 years old and it is a 'developed' concept when the site is created so the beliefs probably predate that.

Also the presumption that homo sapiens (which is an Animal) is fundamentally different from other Animals, there is no reason to presume that. when we look at out earliest states we had religion before we had empirical logic, so it would be more fair to assume other animals have evolved 'religion' before logic too.

Also it suggests humans 'evolved' to see humans in other things but that trait is Far older than Homo sapiens, we have pretty much concluded that Cats see humans as Incompetent cats.
As the Greek Philosopher Xenophanes proposes "If horses had hands to draw, they would draw their gods as horses", it is a preconception of Abrahamism that 'humans are special' it is not a universal belief, both Aboriginals and native Americans recognise Animals as 'equal spirits' for example.

this is the other one I'm Commenting on,

interestingly he also 'displays' my other point often made that Science is a Faith and if you want to repeat it as 'Fact' then you risk making it a religion. Cause the Big bang has become increasingly questionable and now the 'big bounce/crunch' theory is gaining favour.

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:03 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I've said this previously Wink  

but having listened to it and some of his other tracks he is still stuck in the Abrahamic preconceptions
even in that song he says 12,000 years since man invented religion, the oldest Rainbow serpent site is close to 40,000 years old and it is a 'developed' concept when the site is created so the beliefs probably predate that.  

Also the presumption that homo sapiens (which is an Animal) is fundamentally different from other Animals, there is no reason to presume that. when we look at out earliest states we had religion before we had empirical logic, so it would be more fair to assume other animals have evolved 'religion' before logic too.

Also it suggests humans 'evolved' to see humans in other things but that trait is Far older than Homo sapiens, we have pretty much concluded that Cats see humans as Incompetent cats.
As the Greek Philosopher Xenophanes proposes "If horses had hands to draw, they would draw their gods as horses", it is a preconception of Abrahamism that 'humans are special' it is not a universal belief, both Aboriginals and native Americans recognise Animals as 'equal spirits' for example.

interestingly he also 'displays' my other point often made that Science is a Faith and if you want to repeat it as 'Fact' then you risk making it a religion. Cause the Big bang has become increasingly questionable and now the 'big bounce/crunch' theory is gaining favour.

Xlnt points. Dogs also see humans as slower dogs, and pity the poor cur. I've taken my Golden on a few 5k runs, and at the end when the competition got keen, he's looking back at me and barking...c'mon ya slow fook!!

Sheldon Wolin used to say each great thinker not only conveys his conclusions, but packs the standards by which he reaches those conclusion. Maybe it's all in perspective.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Of course religion evolves. After all, when God made man.......she was only joking.

(For which thought I am indebted to 'er indoors.)
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:16 pm

Original Quill wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:I've said this previously Wink  

Xlnt points.  Dogs also see humans as slower dogs, and pity the poor cur.  I've taken my Golden on a few 5k runs, and at the end when the competition got keen, he's looking back at me and barking...c'mon ya slow fook!!

Sheldon Wolin used to say each great thinker not only conveys his conclusions, but packs the standards by which he reaches those conclusion.  Maybe it's all in perspective.

I think it is perspective, which is why when analysing the Universe we should be careful to remove our own perspective which includes that of being humans. I think that mediation is often poorly translated it should not be 'close your eyes and think of nothing' it should be 'close your eyes and think as if you're nothing'. removing ones self from the picture allows one to see broader view.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down