NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe

2 posters

Go down

Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Empty Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:13 am

Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Marius-the-giraffe-009
The Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet reports on the death of Marius the giraffe. Photograph: Ekstra Bladet

A healthy young giraffe has been put down at Copenhagen zoo despite a campaign to save it, according to the BBC.

Thousands of people signed a petition to save the giraffe, called Marius, after the Danish zoo announced it was planning to kill the animal because of European laws on inbreeding.

The 18-month-old creature was due to be killed with a bolt gun and its body dissected and fed to tigers and other animals.

Other zoos, including the Yorkshire wildlife park in Britain, had offered to take in the giraffe.

The zoo defended the decision on its website, saying that to send Marius to another zoo would also risk problems of inbreeding.

On Saturday Bengt Holst, the zoo's scientific director, defended the decision, saying Marius's genes were already well represented among giraffes at the zoo. He told the BBC zoos had a responsibility to control animal numbers to keep their populations healthy, pointing out that 700-800 deer were killed every year at a deer park north of Copenhagen.

Holst said some of the meat from the giraffe would be used for research and the rest for food.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/09/danish-zoo-outrage-giraffe-marius

How can this have been allowed to happen when other zoos had offered to take the giraffe?  Sad

Back to top Go down

Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Empty Re: Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:17 am

Difficult one but if the animals genes were indeed well spread in other zoos as well then they would have to balance up the dangers of inbreeding. I know a lot of endangered species have an overall recording organization that keeps full genetic records of all animals in all zoos/safari parks in the world and zoos/safari parks are careful about keeping maximum genetic variety.

Having said that the other zoos and safari parks would have access to this information and if they are offering to take the animal will have considered it carefully. On the other hand they may be offering to take it as a non breeding individual (giraffes can have males who dont develop into full breeding maturity if they are in a herd with a mature bull) and the original zoo may have been unhappy with the animal never being allowed full development.

I would imagine there was some other factors involved in this decision that are not being covered in the media.

Back to top Go down

Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Empty Re: Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:43 pm

That's bullshit! There was no other zoo in the world that either had enough giraffe genetic diversity to accept this one, or could take it as a non-breeding animal?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:57 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:That's bullshit! There was no other zoo in the world that either had enough giraffe genetic diversity to accept this one, or could take it as a non-breeding animal?

That is not what I said. I said the zoo that had it may have been unwilling to get it go as a non-breeding animal.

I am just trying to see different opinions a habit I sometimes think I should give up - and yes I know you dont deserve that but I have had several days of repeatedly trying to do the right thing and just getting my head bitten off or called stupid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:43 pm

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:That's bullshit! There was no other zoo in the world that either had enough giraffe genetic diversity to accept this one, or could take it as a non-breeding animal?

That is not what I said.  I said the zoo that had it may have been unwilling to get it go as a non-breeding animal.

I am just trying to see different opinions a habit I sometimes think I should give up - and yes I know you dont deserve that but I have had several days of repeatedly trying to do the right thing and just getting my head bitten off or called stupid.

Sorry sphinx -- I meant the zoo's decision was bullshit, not your opinion.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:34 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

That is not what I said.  I said the zoo that had it may have been unwilling to get it go as a non-breeding animal.

No worries - I was getting snappy -my apologies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:34 pm

I cant believe that they had no other choice.
Why not sterilise the animal?
 Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:36 pm

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

No worries - I was getting snappy -my apologies.

Now, I can't see anything about how this forum has been that would make anybody snappy!  ://?roflmao?/: Me included.

Wish everyone could chill out.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:37 pm

NemsAgain wrote:I cant believe that they had no other choice.
 Sad 

Probably because it would upset herd dynamics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:41 pm

sphinx wrote:
NemsAgain wrote:I cant believe that they had no other choice.
 Sad 

Dont you think removing it would too though?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:47 pm

NemsAgain wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Dont you think removing it would too though?

No I meant the herd would reject it if sterile - and it would be cruel and unnatural to have it living on its own as a single animal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:39 pm

A healthy giraffe has been put down and publicly fed to lions despite an online campaign to save him.

Marius was shot dead with a bolt gun at Copenhagen Zoo in Denmark on Sunday to prevent inbreeding.

Visitors, including children, were invited to watch the giraffe being skinned and fed to the animals.

Spokesman Stenbaek Bro said it allowed parents to decide whether their children should watch an important display of scientific knowledge about animals.

"I'm actually proud because I think we have given children a huge understanding of the anatomy of a giraffe that they wouldn't have had from watching a giraffe in a photo."

http://news.sky.com/story/1208928/giraffe-killed-by-zoo-and-publicly-fed-to-lions

I didn't think I could feel anymore sad about this story but now my heart is broken  Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:41 pm

feelthelove wrote:A healthy giraffe has been put down and publicly fed to lions despite an online campaign to save him.

Marius was shot dead with a bolt gun at Copenhagen Zoo in Denmark on Sunday to prevent inbreeding.

Visitors, including children, were invited to watch the giraffe being skinned and fed to the animals.

Spokesman Stenbaek Bro said it allowed parents to decide whether their children should watch an important display of scientific knowledge about animals.

"I'm actually proud because I think we have given children a huge understanding of the anatomy of a giraffe that they wouldn't have had from watching a giraffe in a photo."

http://news.sky.com/story/1208928/giraffe-killed-by-zoo-and-publicly-fed-to-lions

I didn't think I could feel anymore sad about this story but now my heart is broken  Sad

OK, it's just starting to sound like they really hated that poor giraffe! (Don't know which smiley would be apropo here).
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:45 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
feelthelove wrote:A healthy giraffe has been put down and publicly fed to lions despite an online campaign to save him.

OK, it's just starting to sound like they really hated that poor giraffe! (Don't know which smiley would be apropo here).

There isn't one Ben, I just don't understand it  Sad

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:02 am

Dude, why so angry?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:20 pm

I love animals and this has just made me so sad I don't know what to say Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:02 pm

Maine coon lover wrote:I love animals and this has just made me so sad I don't know what to say Sad

Welcome Maine.  The whole thing really upset me but hearing how he was treated after his death finished me off  Sad  Such little respect for such a beautiful animal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:25 pm

i heard tescos showed an interest........

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:29 pm

victorismyhero wrote:i heard tescos showed an interest........

Outrageous and you an animal lover too Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe No_no_20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 pm

feelthelove wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:i heard tescos showed an interest........

Outrageous and you an animal lover too Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe No_no_20

RIGHT...THATS IT...How very dare you ::rambo:: ::rambo:: ::rambo:: 

I'm going to complain loudly and whingeingly to Ben about this harrasment from the left....

calling me a beastie-ophile indeed

://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:44 pm

but ...tis true...i love a bit of animal...it goes so nice with red wine...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:23 pm

victorismyhero wrote:but ...tis true...i love a bit of animal...it goes so nice with red wine...

Now what are we talking about???? Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Ashame51I don't mind a little bit of an animal myself Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Handcu10 lol! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:24 pm

I ate his liver with chianti Twisted Evil affraid 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:25 pm

feelthelove wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:but ...tis true...i love a bit of animal...it goes so nice with red wine...

Now what are we talking about???? Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Ashame51I don't mind a little bit of an animal myself Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Handcu10 lol! x

erm...pepperami?? they are "a bit of an animal"...not sure which bit though Suspect Suspect 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:28 pm

victorismyhero wrote:I ate his liver with chianti Twisted Evil affraid 

You're a very bad man, meet me in the naughty corner Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Naught37Red wine is a tool of the devil Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Angel_67

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:30 pm

ooooh  Laughing Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:31 pm

victorismyhero wrote:ooooh  Laughing Laughing 

I'll be gentle, promise Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Angel_68 x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:33 pm

norty FTL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 pm

victorismyhero wrote:norty FTL

Oops Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Fallen15damn those wings, I need to find a more effective adhesive  Danish zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe Giggl131

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down