NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App

5 posters

Go down

7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App Empty 7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:12 am

Close up of a brown and orange spider with a white marking on its back resembling an exclamation point.

It's tiny, curious and defined by a brilliant white punctuation mark on its back.

And the so-called exclamation point spider could be one of the newest additions to Australia's growing jumping spider family.

It is one of seven undescribed species discovered by citizen scientists during a recent QuestaGame competition.

The Australian conservation app encourages players to contribute data about plants and animals they see.

Queensland Museum arachnid expert Dr Robert Whyte partnered with the app to help identify species captured by the public.

He described some of the latest finds as "very attractive".

Close-up of a brown and white spider on green foliage.

Players unearthed a new fishing spider from Queensland's Tablelands region, nicknamed for its ability to detect small ripples on the water's surface to hunt its prey.

Someone from NSW's Central Coast collected four suspected new species, including another small black and brown jumping spider.

"They're not uncommon but they're completely undescribed and I don't think that anyone had even collected any before this citizen science stuff sprang up, so that's how important it is," Dr Whyte said.

"We need the human energy, we need the people power, and it is lucky that there are so many new things to find where people are."

He said citizen scientists did the grunt work by identifying common spiders, giving experts more time to investigate unusual specimens popping up on the database.

And if you happen to stumble across an unnamed species, it could end up with your name on it.

"I think this kind of game inspires a love of naming things, or at least finding out what their names are," Dr Whyte said.

More at source
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-05/seven-new-spider-species-discovered-by-gamers/9303710
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App Empty Re: 7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App

Post by Cass Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 am

Reason 4,657 why I won’t visit Australia...JUMPING SPIDERS???? FAMILY??? THERE’S MORE THAN ONE KIND???

7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App 1363015401
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App Empty Re: 7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App

Post by Maddog Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:24 am

Cass wrote:Reason 4,657 why I won’t visit Australia...JUMPING SPIDERS???? FAMILY??? THERE’S MORE THAN ONE KIND???

You have scorpions, and they are sneaky little bastards.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 am

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:Reason 4,657 why I won’t visit Australia...JUMPING SPIDERS???? FAMILY??? THERE’S MORE THAN ONE KIND???

I look very carefully before I step. Plus I have pest control every 2 months. But these are JUMPING SPIDERS!!!!

Ugh I can’t.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:43 am

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I look very carefully before I step. Plus I have pest control every 2 months. But these are JUMPING SPIDERS!!!!

Ugh I can’t.

Pest control?

That's where your food allergies started. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:46 am

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:

Ugh I can’t.

Pest control?

That's where your food allergies started.   Cool

I have one food allergy and a few environmental that happened wayyyyy before I got pest control.

BUT THIS IS JUMPING SPIDERS.

No more. I’m off to play candy crush and then read. And god willing not have any nightmares. Between this and the penis thread... affraid
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:50 am

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Pest control?

That's where your food allergies started.   Cool

I have one food allergy and a few environmental that happened wayyyyy before I got pest control.

BUT THIS IS JUMPING SPIDERS.

No more. I’m off to play candy crush and then read. And god willing not have any nightmares. Between this and the penis thread... affraid

Good night.

Check under the bed. Shocked
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:53 am

jumping spiders are also known as flower spiders.

they are all tiny, most are brightly coloured

Image result for Cute Spider

Australia has around 4,000 described spider species, but Dr Whyte said that number could double if enough people started searching their backyards and gardens.

"I'm pretty sure I could find a new species in somebody's backyard if it was reasonably close to bush, within half an hour."

I think you should come down under to help us look for the other 3000+ species 7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App 3406909858
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:02 pm

7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App 3583224271

Let Cass and eddie loose in my backyard -- they could have a jolly little spider hunting expedition...

Aah, Australia.. My Australia.

If the spiders or sharks or crocodiles don't get you, there's always the trees..

http://christiantoday.com.au/news/widow-makers-the-danger-of-gum-tree-branches-falling.html

(Having witnessed a gigantic limb fall off a Spotted Gum during a storm, I know the 'widowmakers' are fact, and not simply another convenient fantasy to scare tourists with..).

7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App 3758365944
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Ugh I can’t.

The larger spiders (eg, wolf spiders) will eat the scorpions and crickets, so it's handy to have them around. I used to get fire wood from up around Flagstaff, and the little bark scorpions would crawl out at night. My OH would go pee in the middle of the night, and they would be all around.

That's when she became a bit more kindly about wolf spiders.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:41 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: 7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App 3583224271

Let Cass and eddie loose in my backyard --  they could have a jolly little spider hunting expedition...

Aah, Australia..   My Australia.

If the spiders or sharks or crocodiles don't get you,  there's always the trees..

http://christiantoday.com.au/news/widow-makers-the-danger-of-gum-tree-branches-falling.html

(Having witnessed a gigantic limb fall off a Spotted Gum during a storm, I know the 'widowmakers' are fact, and not simply another convenient fantasy to scare tourists with..).

7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App 3758365944

Thanks for the invite Veya and Wolf. Gladly take you up on the offer but only on condition that I can dress like this at all times. Granted it might be a tad difficult on the beach but you never know with them sharks, box jellyfish or crocs. I think I’ll stick to Florida with the falling iguanas for now.

7 new speices described thanks to Questagame Conservation App A4ce0610
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down