NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How times change.

+6
HoratioTarr
Cass
JulesV
Original Quill
eddie
Syl
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How times change. Empty How times change.

Post by Syl Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Anything goes nowadays...including mutton dressed as lamb and sporting thick bushy underarm hair....

Can you think of any other visible social taboos that were frowned on not so long ago that are now acceptable?

How times change. 47ABF07000000578-0-image-a-111_1514785842189
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

How times change. Empty Re: How times change.

Post by eddie Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Well all I know is that hairy armpits look gross on women and I know that's not very "modern" of me nor is it very "2108".
It looks smelly and unattractive.

And how young is Madonna looking nowadays???
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:42 pm

EDDIE wrote:Well all I know is that hairy armpits look gross on women and I know that's not very "modern" of me nor is it very "2108".

I've never checked Smelly's armpits, so I wouldn't know.  But if they are like the rest of him, it could be messy. Rolling Eyes

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:53 pm

eddie wrote:Well all I know is that hairy armpits look gross on women and I know that's not very "modern" of me nor is it very "2108".

She looks younger than her daughter, in a Madame Tussaud sort of way. Shocked
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Some of the things women can get away with that was not considered proper in the past....

Women are not dictated by age how they should dress...I am very very old and I love leather and black lace.

Messy hair do's....I wear mine up and messy most of the time, I hate prim trim buns....muss it up.

Flat shoes boots or sandles go with almost everything....no need to wobble about in stilletos anymore to look fashionable.

Men don't have to wear a suit and tie to go out in all the time...in fact usually the only males in a suit in most restaurants is the manager, the waiters  and the doorman.

Lots of other stuff women and men can get away with now...
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:58 am

Women are more comfortable about
-dressing to please themselves
-carrying a bit extra weight
-breastfeeding in public
-talking openly and candidly about menstruation and menopause

Women are also more comfortable about divorcing. They no longer need to feel trapped in toxic abusive marriages.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:01 am

Males are more comfortable about joining certain professions which were a female preserve -  like midwifery or nannying.

They also have less hangups about  reporting domestic abuse from their female partners.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:02 am

Good heavens that is Madonna???? What a Face
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 am

Its 100 years this year since women in the UK were allowed to vote.
Pre 1991 men could legally rape their wives.
In 1961 the birth control pill was made available.....for married women only
In 1967 it was made available to single women.....but there was still a long way to go.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:29 am

Cass wrote:Good heavens that is Madonna???? What a Face

Yes it's Madonna. Recently plumped, like a chicken breast in a supermarket.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 am

eddie wrote:Well all I know is that hairy armpits look gross on women and I know that's not very "modern" of me nor is it very "2108".

2108? None of us will be here then! bounce

But I doubt even then that people will be very different.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:55 am

eddie wrote:

you know what...she's sixty years old FSS. I think she looks pretty good.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:16 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:

you know what...she's sixty years old FSS.  I think she looks pretty good.  

It depends what you call good. She is totally unlined (or airbrushed to within an inch of her life) her face is a blank canvas, at her age she has earned some laughter/expression lines.

Don't you think this endless search for youth is sad?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:59 pm

I think Madonna is morphing into Mae West. Razz

How times change. Mae_west
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:21 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

you know what...she's sixty years old FSS.  I think she looks pretty good.  

It depends what you call good.  She is totally unlined (or airbrushed to within an inch of her life) her face is a blank canvas, at her age she has earned some laughter/expression lines.

I do to an extent. Most of us have to just grow old as gracefully as we can, and there isn't really a good way to do that other than just accept it. Women aren't allowed to get old. After a certain age they can't get away with what men of the same age do and this is particularly pertinent in the movie/music/TV industry. After a certain age, and once your nubility is gone, you've kind of had it. Unless you're exceptionally talented or manage to maintain your sexuality like Helen Mirren.

It's very sad watching someone like Madonna doing things like getting her arse out for the cameras or snogging younger women for the shock factor. No matter how emancipated you are, there's no dignity to it after a certain age. That goes for men as well.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Syl wrote:I think Madonna is morphing into Mae West. Razz

The difference between Mae West and Madonna is that MW was naturally sexy, no matter her age. Madonna has always tried too hard.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Syl wrote:Anything goes nowadays...including mutton dressed as lamb and sporting thick bushy underarm hair....

Can you think of any other visible social taboos that were frowned on not so long ago that are now acceptable?

How times change. 47ABF07000000578-0-image-a-111_1514785842189

With such an eccentric mum it's not surprising Lourdes picked up some of mum's strange ways.
But I'm pleased for Madonna that she's now getting on well with her adult kids. There was a rift before now.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Re topic:

Age permisseveness has changed too.
Babyfaced teenage kids can become MPs now .....
commanding £75K salaries, financial perks and their own personal staff & bodyguards, all paid for by the state. Shocked
Damn good MP's they are too - but then obviously you'd have to be very special, to be elected at such a tender age.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making gender ambiguity fashionable is the next big thing.
As a liberal that is one liberal trend I disagree with totally.
FFS be just male OR female, quit hovering in between and confusing everyone.  How times change. 2396444674

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:14 pm

eddie wrote:

Well I gotta say yes a lot of Botox and filler looks like it has allegedly been used. It’s not my thing but she can do her I guess. I think it’s kind of creepy imo.

The eternal quest for youth is hoax. I’m not much into makeup except on the high and holy days and my skin care regimen is called benign neglect. I don’t mind looking my age because that’s what I am. Paying upwards of hundreds of pounds/dollars for a small pot of miracle cream? Pffft. You’ve either been blessed with good genetics or you haven’t. Much more important is taking care about sun on your skin.

Her daughter’s underarm hair bothers me not one jot.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:46 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

It depends what you call good.  She is totally unlined (or airbrushed to within an inch of her life) her face is a blank canvas, at her age she has earned some laughter/expression lines.

I do to an extent.   Most of us have to just grow old as gracefully as we can, and there isn't really a good way to do that other than just accept it.   Women aren't allowed to get old.   After a certain age they can't get away with what men of the same age do and this is particularly pertinent in the movie/music/TV industry.    After a certain age, and once your nubility is gone, you've kind of had it.   Unless you're exceptionally talented or manage to maintain your sexuality like Helen Mirren.    

It's very sad watching someone like Madonna doing things like getting her arse out for the cameras or snogging younger women for the shock factor.   No matter how emancipated you are,   there's no dignity to it after a certain age.   That goes for men as well.

The only time age is mentioned in a derogatory way ime is on forums, when old age, and words like ...granny, decrepit, senile etc, are thrown out as insults by people who are possibly older and more decrepit than we are. Razz

In the real world I can honestly say that the only drawback in ageing (for me) is energy levels drop and obviously things don't work as well as they used to....apart from that I am treated the same, and don't feel age is a barrier to anything.
I agree it depends on where you work whether you are treated with less respect as you age.

When older women in the workplace are valued as much as their male counterparts...that will be another huge step forwards in female liberation.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:

Well I gotta say yes a lot of Botox and filler looks like it has allegedly been used. It’s not my thing but she can do her I guess. I think it’s kind of creepy imo.

The eternal quest for youth is hoax. I’m not much into makeup except on the high and holy days and my skin care regimen is called benign neglect. I don’t mind looking my age because that’s what I am. Paying upwards of hundreds of pounds/dollars for a small pot of miracle cream? Pffft. You’ve either been blessed with good genetics or you haven’t. Much more important is taking care about sun on your skin.

Actually....way back in the day, even though it was more unusual to see then, some women didn't let a bit of underarm hair spoil their image. Cool

How times change. C7f0570629fd775d9c8a516cd7c43d26--loren-sofia-underarm-hair-women
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Syl wrote:
Cass wrote:

Actually....way back in the day, even though it was more unusual to see then, some women didn't let a bit of underarm hair spoil their image. Cool

How times change. C7f0570629fd775d9c8a516cd7c43d26--loren-sofia-underarm-hair-women

Oh yes I know. It honestly never bothered me. I only get busy with myself in the spring and summer to be honest.

Remember too that Elizabeth I poisoned herself with the lead used in her white face paint.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Cass wrote:
Syl wrote:

Oh yes I know. It honestly never bothered me. I only get busy with myself in the spring and summer to be honest.

Remember too that  Elizabeth I poisoned herself with the lead used in her white face paint.
I love that turn of phrase....I think Princess Di once said she 'Keeps herself tidy'....another good one to simply sum up the tedious jobs we women put ourselves through. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Syl wrote:
Cass wrote:

Remember too that  Elizabeth I poisoned herself with the lead used in her white face paint.
I love that turn of phrase....I think Princess Di once said she 'Keeps herself tidy'....another good one to simply sum up the tedious jobs we women put ourselves through. Laughing

Lol. Right?
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:13 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:I think Madonna is morphing into Mae West. Razz

The difference between Mae West and Madonna is that MW was naturally sexy, no matter her age.   Madonna has always tried too hard.

How times change. Mae_west_photos-56aa1ba25f9b58b7d000e027

"Is that a banana in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 am

I thought it was pistol not banana. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:26 am

That under arm hair really bothers me Smile

I dont spend a fortune on skin care, but I do put make up on everyday and make sure I remove it at night and put a night cream on. You cant stop the ageing process but you can give it a bit of help Shocked

I get my eyebrows threaded (its like a mini facelift!) and ladies, your answer to anti ageing make up is Laura Geller Cool
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:36 am

harvesmom wrote:That under arm hair really bothers me Smile

I dont spend a fortune on skin care, but I do put make up on everyday and make sure I remove it at night and put a night cream on. You cant stop the ageing process but you can give it a bit of help Shocked

I get my eyebrows threaded (its like a mini facelift!) and ladies, your answer to anti ageing make up is Laura Geller Cool

I get mine waxed. Do you think it’s better? In what way? Who is Laura Geller?
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 am

Cass wrote:
harvesmom wrote:That under arm hair really bothers me Smile

I always used to get my eyebrows waxed, but then the salon talked me into getting them threaded...you get more definition and it lasts longer than waxing, it hurts more but not for long and its worth it Cool try it and let me know!

And who is Laura Geller! Well she is from New York (I think) I first discovered her on QVC but I get her make up from Debenhams now. You wake up looking crap and blotchy, a quick swirl of her balance and brighten foundation and you look 10 years younger Smile Put her spackle on first and its 20 years Laughing

http://www.qvcuk.com/LauraGellerAbout.content.html

harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:23 am

harvesmom wrote:
Cass wrote:

I always used to get my eyebrows waxed, but then the salon talked me into getting them threaded...you get more definition and it lasts longer than waxing, it hurts more but not for long and its worth it Cool try it and let me know!

And who is Laura Geller! Well she is from New York (I think) I first discovered her on QVC but I get her make up from Debenhams now. You wake up looking crap and blotchy, a quick swirl of her balance and brighten foundation and you look 10 years younger  Smile Put her spackle on first and its 20 years  Laughing

Ok good to know! I inherited thick eyebrows and they drive me insane. There is one place in town that does it so maybe I’ll give it a try. Waxing makes me blotchy and I have sensitive skin so when I do wear the gunk I use Clinique. I will check her out.

I’m VERY lazy about taking off the slap. I know I know I know...
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:03 pm

harvesmom wrote:
Cass wrote:

And who is Laura Geller! Well she is from New York (I think) I first discovered her on QVC but I get her make up from Debenhams now. You wake up looking crap and blotchy, a quick swirl of her balance and brighten foundation and you look 10 years younger  Smile Put her spackle on first and its 20 years  Laughing

I used to be an avid watcher of QVC Smile .....you can get some brilliant beauty products on there, especially the TSV's.
In the past I have bought a couple of Laura Gellers products, unlike you they don't suit me.....I do like Mally and Doll 10 products though, their eye shadows are great, and they last for ages.

It must be an age thing but I have found my eyebrows don't even need plucking now, they have never been bushy, but they have thinned out so much I don't need to do anything with them....so not all ageing processes are bad. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:19 pm

I,v been wondering if I should get my Pubic Hair Waxed , do you think it would start a trend?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:20 pm

nicko wrote:I,v been wondering if I should get my Pubic Hair Waxed ,   do you think it would start a trend?

You're way behind the times! That's been happening for years!
I'm thinking of getting my pubes shaped into the map of Texas.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 pm

eddie wrote:
nicko wrote:I,v been wondering if I should get my Pubic Hair Waxed ,   do you think it would start a trend?

I thought that was the plan! And I'ma get mine shaved into a map of the Underground, ain't I?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:54 pm

TMI....STOP, PLEASE. How times change. Emotigal-fainting-t-w-yram-copyright_zpsec561ef2
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Syl wrote:
harvesmom wrote:

I used to be an avid watcher of QVC Smile .....you can get some brilliant beauty products on there, especially the TSV's.
In the past I have bought a couple of Laura Gellers products, unlike you they don't suit me.....I do like Mally and Doll 10 products though, their eye shadows are great, and they last for ages.

It must be an age thing but I have found my eyebrows don't even need plucking now, they have never been bushy, but they have thinned out so much I don't need to do anything with them....so not all  ageing processes are bad.  Laughing  

I like some of Mallys products, but when she is on presenting them herself I have to put the sound on mute Shocked
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 pm

This bridal jump suit combines two of 2018's hottest wedding trends....apparently.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/style/this-bridal-jumpsuit-combines-two-of-2018s-hottest-wedding-trends/ar-BBHRfcP?li=AA2FOLs&ocid=spartanntp

How times change. BBHRuzC
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:12 pm

harvesmom wrote:
Syl wrote:

It must be an age thing but I have found my eyebrows don't even need plucking now, they have never been bushy, but they have thinned out so much I don't need to do anything with them....so not all  ageing processes are bad.  Laughing  

I like some of Mallys products, but when she is on presenting them herself I have to put the sound on mute Shocked
Haha...I know what you mean, she is very excitable isn't she? Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

I thought that was the plan! And I'ma get mine shaved into a map of the Underground, ain't I?

Pics or it didn’t happen.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Cass wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Oh, don't dare us. Don't ever dare us.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:11 pm

I'll dare you !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 pm

nicko wrote:I'll dare you !

To be fair, it might keep you even more awake at night affraid
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:52 pm

eddie wrote:
Cass wrote:

Oh, don't dare us. Don't ever dare us.  

Mwahahahahahaha
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 am

eddie wrote:

Bloody hell, everybody knows how BIG Texas is!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:16 am

''How times change''

Large age  gaps have always been tolerated when it's the man who's the older one.
But now it's also acceptable if it's the woman. Good!
Madonna and Susan Sarandon being prime examples.
Tina Turner and Joan Collins actually wed their toyboys.

The times, they are changing.  fiesta

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:38 am

For some reason Mae West reminds me of Kathleen Turner there! Smile

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:50 pm

Speaking of Kathleen Turner, I have never seen anyone change appearance so drastically so quickly.
It was reported that health issues and medication played a part, but the transformation was very quick.

First 2 pics taken in 1984 and 1994. The bottom pic taken recently.

How times change. 13e7e3030b4f326af95ced6c12bbcd09--kathleen-turner-romancing-the-stone

How times change. Primary_Serial-Mom-interview-6

How times change. 2384CFAC00000578-0-image-25_1417095110051
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Yes, she has changed a lot. She's also changed her role type...from vamp in Body Heat to comedy in Romancing the Stone to some of her older roles.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Original Quill wrote:Yes, she has changed a lot.  She's also changed her role type...from vamp in Body Heat to comedy in Romancing the Stone to some of her older roles.

I loved the film Body Heat.
I bought some wind chimes after seeing that film, sort of hoped my OH would see me through the window and be so overcome with passion he would break down  the door in his haste to get at me....he always used his key though.

Life is seldom like we see in films. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Syl wrote:Speaking of Kathleen Turner, I have never seen anyone change appearance so drastically so quickly.
It was reported that health issues and medication played a part, but the transformation was very quick.

First 2 pics taken in 1984 and 1994. The bottom pic taken recently.

How times change. 13e7e3030b4f326af95ced6c12bbcd09--kathleen-turner-romancing-the-stone

How times change. Primary_Serial-Mom-interview-6

How times change. 2384CFAC00000578-0-image-25_1417095110051

What do you expect in 34 years?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next