NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF??

4 posters

Go down

Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF?? Empty Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF??

Post by Original Quill Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:22 pm

Good?  Bad?  Fox shareholders will own approximately 25% of Disney.  Who will be influenced?

Disney is politically vanilla.  Fox is RW hot.  Will Disney be pulled into the right?  Fox to the left?

BBC News wrote:Disney set to seal $60bn 21st Century Fox takeover

The sale would include the 20th Century Fox film studio and the Sky and Star satellite broadcasters in the UK, Europe and Asia.

Disney was left as the front runner after Comcast, the NBC owner, dropped out of the race on Monday.

The Financial Times said talks about the price were continuing on Tuesday.

CNBC reported that Fox and Disney were on a "glide path" for an announcement on Thursday, according to people familiar with the negotiations.

The Murdoch family was said to favour a deal with Disney because it would rather be paid in the entertainment giant's shares than Comcast stock.

A deal with Disney could also face fewer US regulatory hurdles, although it is extremely unlikely to be waved through.

The deal is already under scrutiny by the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), which is expected to publish its provisional findings in January.

It is not clear whether Disney will continue with the takeover if it buys the 39% stake from 21st Century Fox as part of the wider transaction.

Matthew Horsman, analyst at Mediatique, told Variety magazine that the CMA is likely to continue probing the deal. "They've done all the work. I'm pretty sure they're going to announce a decision," he said.

The assets being sold by Fox include its FX and National Geographic cable channels, 22 regional US sports networks and the company's stake in the Hulu streaming platform in the US.

It would also add to Disney's extensive film and television library, with movies such as Avatar and Deadpool, as well as small screen hits including The Simpsons and Modern Family.

The Fox broadcast network, Fox News and Fox Sports would remain under the Murdochs' control.

As well as its film studio, Disney also owns the ESPN sports network and cable channels.

Mr Murdoch's decision to sell most of Fox has surprised many commentators given his desire to continually expand his media empire over the past five decades.

Talks were understood to have been held between the two companies in November but did not result in an agreement.

Negotiations then restarted earlier this month.

Shares in Disney rose 0.5% in New York on Tuesday, valuing the company at $162bn, while 21st Century Fox added 1%, valuing it at $62.6bn.

Fox shares have jumped by close to a third over the past three months.

Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF?? _98804080_murdoch_empire_640-nc

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF?? Empty Re: Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF??

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF?? 1399249160

What they haven't mentioned in that article is the largest single shareholder in the Disney corp'n --  Apple, (the biggest company in the world, measured on share capitalisation..) via the merger of Pixar with Disney, several years ago...

And the biggest shareholding in Apple ?  That should still be Steve Jobs's estate (i.e. his wife & kids..), presumably ?

This article seems to be concentrating on the Murdochs,  despite them  selling down their investments, not up --  and 'diluting' their influence..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF?? Empty Re: Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF??

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:57 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF?? 1399249160

What they haven't mentioned in that article is the largest single shareholder in the Disney corp'n --  Apple, (the biggest company in the world, measured on share capitalisation..) via the merger of Pixar with Disney, several years ago...

And the biggest shareholding in Apple ?  That should still be Steve Jobs's estate (i.e. his wife & kids..), presumably ?

This article seems to be concentrating on the Murdochs,  despite them  selling down their investments, not up --  and 'diluting' their influence..

I know. I tried to indicate that by stating that it was a stock transfer, whereby Fox shareholders end up with 25% of Disney.

No, Murdoch is not out of the picture. In fact, his son is vying for a position in management.

But still, Disney owns ABC and ESPN. The merger will be interesting.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:31 am

To be fair, and I'm no fan of the Murdoch Empire (their newspapers are dangerous drivel, Fox News is even worse), the movie and entertainment side of things has rarely, if ever, been used as a political tool- in fact I would suggest that movie franchises like X-Men and TV shows like The Simpsons are far removed from the ideology peddled in Murdoch's news media.

And as Wolf says, Disney is the real giant here, and Disney is, as far as mega-corporations go, 'alright' compared to news corp, at least if we judge on any 'views' put out in theirs movies. They can be as cnutish as any in how they conduct business.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:03 am

The Murdoch’s are selling it off along with a lot of other holdings.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:07 am

Eilzel wrote:To be fair, and I'm no fan of the Murdoch Empire (their newspapers are dangerous drivel, Fox News is even worse), the movie and entertainment side of things has rarely, if ever, been used as a political tool- in fact I would suggest that movie franchises like X-Men and TV shows like The Simpsons are far removed from the ideology peddled in Murdoch's news media.

And as Wolf says, Disney is the real giant here, and Disney is, as far as mega-corporations go, 'alright' compared to news corp, at least if we judge on any 'views' put out in theirs movies. They can be as cnutish as any in how they conduct business.

I know Les, that's why I ask...is this a good thing?  Remember, Disney is being penetrated too.  Could Hannity take over ABC?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:10 am

Original Quill wrote:
Eilzel wrote:To be fair, and I'm no fan of the Murdoch Empire (their newspapers are dangerous drivel, Fox News is even worse), the movie and entertainment side of things has rarely, if ever, been used as a political tool- in fact I would suggest that movie franchises like X-Men and TV shows like The Simpsons are far removed from the ideology peddled in Murdoch's news media.

I know Les, that's why I ask...is this a good thing?  Remember, Disney is being penetrated too.  Could Hannity take over ABC?

From a purely business/monopolies stand point I really don't know in this case. But as a fan of movies, I think Disney put out among the highest quality when it comes to mainstream cinema.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:13 am

How can Rupert have any influence when he’s selling it? He is not retaining any type of control.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:18 am

Cass wrote:How can Rupert have any influence when he’s selling it? He is not retaining any type of control.

It's actually a stock trade. Rupert stockholders trade for about 25% of Disney, so power is in flux. Anyway, I read it somewhere this AM, and can't find it now. I looked.

I also read that Rupert's son wants a management role in Disney as a condition precedent to the trade.

It's evolving, so I'll keep an eye out.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:19 am

Original Quill wrote:
Cass wrote:How can Rupert have any influence when he’s selling it? He is not retaining any type of control.

It's actually a stock trade.  Rupert stockholders trade for about 25% of Disney, so power is in flux.  Anyway, I read it somewhere this AM, and can't find it now.  I looked.

I also read that Rupert's son wants a management role in Disney as a condition precedent to the trade.

Please do because in all the sites I visited I saw nothing mentioned about his son wanting a role.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:54 am

Suspect

Fox shareholders will end up with 25% of the proposed Disney-Fox conglomerate...

The Murdoch family therefore might have 5% or so, if they're lucky..

Some of those commentators'/observers comments in some news reports, seem to be based on the premise that the Murdoch's would then have the proxy votes of all those Fox shareholders, to suggest they might chase a seat or two on the board ?

Like I suggested earlier, that BBC report in the O/P is overly concentrating on the Murdochs, while ignoring the existing ownership of Disney itself..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Disney takeover of 21st-Century Fox...WTF?? 3758365944

Furthermore,  from Disney's viewpoint,  they could also be looking at the Foxtel/20th Century Fox connection as a gateway to expand into a potential new Internet TV channel...

Helping to compete against Netflix and Amazon Prime, without having to start from scratch..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Cass wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

It's actually a stock trade.  Rupert stockholders trade for about 25% of Disney, so power is in flux.  Anyway, I read it somewhere this AM, and can't find it now.  I looked.

Please do because in all the sites I visited I saw nothing mentioned about his son wanting a role.

OK, well I can say that MSNBC finance editor confirmed this morning that the 25% ownership of Disney by Fox shareholders was true.  He also said, somewhat cryptically, that it was uncertain which way that augers.

I, too, am interested.  You know how when you google something, you get a flood of information on a subject, but an hour later you don't remember where you saw a specific item?  That's me, on the story about the son.  If I can find it again, I'll post it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:50 pm

This is off the AP wire at 6:15 AM today (PST):

US News & World Report wrote:Disney CEO Robert Iger says he'll work with Fox CEO James Murdoch on integrating the two companies, but Iger doesn't know what Murdoch's role will be over the long term.

Disney is buying a large part of the Murdoch family's 21st Century Fox for about $52.4 billion in stock, including film and television studios and cable and international TV businesses, as it tries to meet competition from technology companies in the entertainment business.

Iger told investors on a conference call Thursday that Murdoch will "be integral to helping us integrate these companies." After that, Iger says he will "continue to discuss with him whether there's a role for him here or not."

James Murdoch is the son of Rupert Murdoch, who built 21st Century Fox and News Corp. out of an inheritance from his father in Australia.

Rupert Murdoch has ostensibly already handed the reins over to a new generation at Fox. His son James is CEO, while his other son, Lachlan, like Rupert, has the title of executive chairman.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2017-12-14/the-latest-disney-fox-deal-will-help-rivalry-with-netflix

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Cool. Thanks. Happens to me too or the original gets lost if there are updates. Cheers for looking.

I personally think Wolf is right. It’s all speculation at this point. The name Murdoch has become so entwined with Faux Noise that people kind of assume that that will happen to Disney. But as Lez pointed out earlier, the political side didn’t really merge into the entertainment side.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down