NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is handwriting becoming a lost skill?

+4
SEXY MAMA
Fred Moletrousers
Vintage
Syl
8 posters

Go down

Is handwriting becoming a lost skill? Empty Is handwriting becoming a lost skill?

Post by Syl Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:45 pm

In many places schools don't even teach kids anymore how to learn joined up or cursive...or as we always called it 'proper writing'.
Is handwriting a thing of the past?
When's the last time you actually wrote anything in proper handwriting?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41927258copyright

"For centuries, children have spent hours on special joined handwriting lessons - but do we need them?
The US state of Illinois has passed a law requiring school students to learn joined-up handwriting, or "cursive", overriding the governor's veto.
It is no longer a requirement in US schools, and some countries have dropped the skill from the curriculum or made it optional.
Why, then, do some - like the UK - still insist on it in a digital age? Shouldn't children learn to type effectively instead?"

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Is handwriting becoming a lost skill? Empty Re: Is handwriting becoming a lost skill?

Post by Vintage Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Maybe script will evolve/devolve into a symbol type/heiroglyph shorthand, similar to what people report after having 'close encounters of the third kind'?

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Is handwriting becoming a lost skill? Empty Re: Is handwriting becoming a lost skill?

Post by Syl Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Vintage wrote:Maybe script will evolve/devolve into a symbol type/heiroglyph shorthand, similar to what people report after having 'close encounters of the third kind'?

Maybe the artist formerly known as Prince was ahead of his time. Shocked

I don't think people DO write much by hand anymore...actual letter writing seems to be a thing of the past.
Its a shame, a written letter, note, poem....was so much more romantic than a text or email. .
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:17 pm

I don't seem to have anything to write about anymore, I had friends who moved to Canada and Australia and used to write about 10 pages on airmail paper, as they did back to me, very regularly, I have no idea what I could possibly have written about. Now its at Christmas and birthdays. The only mail I get these days are bills and adverts.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Its a shame you stopped writing those letters, but I think most people have.
I used to write letters....haven't actually written one for years, I don't text I phone, and apart from writing out birthday and Christmas cards, filling in the odd form, I don't write anything.

I can see a day when people wont even know how to write properly...even read a book properly, everything will be digital.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Years ago, pre marriage, I received a hand written poem from someone, he had composed it himself, I thought it was very romantic.

Opening an email wouldn't have the same effect really.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Syl wrote:Years ago, pre marriage, I received a hand written poem from someone, he had composed it himself, I thought it was very romantic.

Particularly if it read something like "..i av luv 4 u, do u av luv 4 me"
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Syl wrote:Years ago, pre marriage, I received a hand written poem from someone, he had composed it himself, I thought it was very romantic.

This will probably be considered romantic in years to come. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Syl wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

This will probably be considered romantic in years to come.  Razz

Well, perhaps it's marginally better than the usual opening gambit from my own dear county of Yorkshire: "Ee bah gum, lass, that's a reet bobby dazzler. Get thee keks off."
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Your nickname isn't Compo by any chance is it?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:06 pm

I still love writing letters! When I’m in a lovey dicey mood I write letters to hubby and hide it in his work bag!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:23 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:I still love writing letters! When I’m in a lovey dicey mood I write letters to hubby and hide it in his work bag!

I do too. Mine say, pick up meds/milk/dinner on your way home. Maybe I’ll add in a please Cool
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Cass wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:I still love writing letters! When I’m in a lovey dicey mood I write letters to hubby and hide it in his work bag!

I do too. Mine say, pick up meds/milk/dinner on your way home. Maybe I’ll add in a please Cool

Lolol!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Cass wrote:

Lol....sounds the same sort of thing I write to my OH, I do always add a big X at the end though...for the personal touch. I love you
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Aww...that's lovely SM. I have never heard the expression 'lovey dicey' before....is it real or a typo?? Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Syl wrote:
Aww...that's lovely SM. I have never heard the expression 'lovey dicey' before....is it  real or a typo?? Laughing

Oh shit lolol

Typo!!!!! Embarassed
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:38 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Syl wrote:
Aww...that's lovely SM. I have never heard the expression 'lovey dicey' before....is it  real or a typo?? Laughing

Oh shit lolol

Typo!!!!! Embarassed

Thought it might be lol

I used to do calligraphy and then illustrate the scrolls I worked on. Don't think I can do it now though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:41 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Syl wrote:

Oh shit lolol

Typo!!!!! Embarassed

Lol....it was quite a good one though.

Your dad has a lovely face btw. I love you
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Syl wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Oh shit lolol

Typo!!!!! Embarassed

Aww thanks Syl xxx

My sister looks like him though.

I might put my pic up one day when I’m feeling brave lol
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:56 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Syl wrote:

Aww thanks Syl xxx

I don't mind putting my pic up (I have a thick skin) but I thought long and hard before putting my mums pic up.

So, on that note..you are brave.  Smile
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:59 pm

You are too kind Syl

I owe you a greenie but I need to wait 3600 seconds lol
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:21 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:You are too kind Syl

I owe you a greenie but I need to wait 3600 seconds lol

Lol, don't bother about that... I just gave a greenie out when I meant to press 'quote'.....that's really frustrating. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:30 pm

What with keyboards rendering handwriting unnecessary
And calculators rendering arithmetic skills unnecessary
Seems the classic ''3 R's'' have now become just ''the one R'' !!
  lol! lol! lol!

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:14 am

even 15 years ago a hand written essays was not acceptable at universities

one would hope that it is being wound back. people might keep the skill for some personal note taking etc but it has long since ceased being 'professionally' accepted.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 pm

veya_victaous wrote:even 15 years ago a hand written essays was not acceptable at universities

one would hope that it is being wound back. people might keep the skill for some personal note taking etc but it has long since ceased being 'professionally' accepted.

My grandson still has to write out certain things at uni, but most is done online.
Even many lectures are listened to and swatted up online now instead of being attended.

Human contact is diminishing in many ways.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:51 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Syl wrote:

Aww thanks Syl xxx

You also look like your dad SM....that pic of you is really lovely, and you know how we may get an idea of what people on forums actually look like by the way they interact with others...well you look very like I thought you would. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:08 pm

To be honest, as beautiful as joined up writing is, it is totally unneccessary and a lot of people can't even read it.

Writing by hand will always have a place though, I hope and think.

Sexy, that is so sweet what you do for your husband Smile

I like to write for my husband (still gotta get used to saying that lol) now and then. Probably the sweetest thing was a series of small notes in rhyme that I hid around the apartment. Each led to another until he found a box of chocolates and a stone rose hidden under a model we have.

That aside, I hand write plans for things a lot.

Joined up- never Wink
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Eilzel wrote:To be honest, as beautiful as joined up writing is, it is totally unneccessary and a lot of people can't even read it.

I like to write for my husband (still gotta get used to saying that lol) now and then. Probably the sweetest thing was a series of small notes in rhyme that I hid around the apartment. Each led to another until he found a box of chocolates and a stone rose hidden under a model we have.

Joined up- never Wink
That's so thoughtful. I love you

My OH is still romantic after 43 years together,,,,I am useless.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Syl wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Aww thanks Syl xxx

You also look like your dad SM....that pic of you is really lovely, and you know how we may get an idea of what people on forums actually look like by the way they interact with others...well you look very like I thought you would. x

Thought I’d brave it up! Lol

You are very kind xx
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Eilzel wrote:To be honest, as beautiful as joined up writing is, it is totally unneccessary and a lot of people can't even read it.

Joined up- never Wink

THanks Les x

Does your husband bother to write back? Cause mine doesn’t! Just wats apps me,

And that too only a few bloody words lol
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down