NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best restaurant in the world is in....

+4
HoratioTarr
eddie
magica
Syl
8 posters

Go down

The best restaurant in the world is in.... Empty The best restaurant in the world is in....

Post by Syl Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Yorkshire.  cheers

"TripAdvisor said that their poll differed from other awards as they were “not based on a small judging panel”, but rather feedback from patrons of the restaurants in question."
See the top ten from the TripAdvisor poll below.

1. The Black Swan, Oldstead, North Yorkshire, UK
2. Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, Great Milton, Oxfordshire, UK
3. Maison Lameloise, Chagny, France
4. L’Auberge de l’Ill, Illhaeusern, France
5. Martin Berasategui, Lasarte, Spain
6. Daniel, New York City, United States
7. La Colombe, Constantia, South Africa
8. David’s Kitchen, Chiang Mai, Thailand
9. Maido, Lima, Peru
10. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/11/black-swan-country-pub-yorkshire-named-world-best-restaurant

"Family-run inn in Oldstead beats fine-dining rivals Blumenthal and Blanc in global poll based on millions of reviews"

The best restaurant in the world is in.... 1464
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The best restaurant in the world is in.... Empty Re: The best restaurant in the world is in....

Post by magica Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm coming to Yorkshire Smile
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The best restaurant in the world is in.... Empty Re: The best restaurant in the world is in....

Post by Syl Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Well Yokshire is over the hill from us Mags....but we could meet up there. Laughing

That pub looks lovely, I love places like that.....and when its nice you can sit outside.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:29 pm

I'd like to see their menu, to see how they won.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:18 pm

Syl wrote:Well Yokshire is over the hill from us Mags....but we could meet up there. Laughing

That pub looks lovely, I love places like that.....and when its nice you can sit outside.

It looks all oldie woldie.

Yeah we could meet up - first drink on you lol!
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:15 pm

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/black-swan-tommy-banks-oldstead-13750303

Example of menu....expensive and it sounds a bit pretentious, Strawberries and hay ?? Shocked ...everything is probably delicious though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:06 pm

On the news this morning, the Black Swan has been inundated with bookings and don't have a free table for months to come.

At £155 pp for a tasting menu alongside with a tasting drinks package....that's an awful lot of profit they will be making.

Good old Trip Advisor.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Included on the sample menu on the Black Swan’s website is:

Chicken dumpling

Squid dressed in horseradish juice

Lobster with onion and gooseberry

Sour bread and sour butter

Crapaudine beetroot cooked slowly in beef fat

Turbot with strawberries and cream

Texel lamb with turnip and mint

Brown butter and rhubarb

Strawberries and hay

Cake made from chicory root and blackcurrant.

Cheese is available for an extra £15

Nothing on that menu tempts me.

And! £15 for cheese???? I'm flabbergasted and more.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:32 pm

It all sounds very arty farty, the lobster sounds nice though.

Wonder what sort of hay is served with the strawberries? Shocked

I like dining out..but there is no way I would go anywhere that costs £340 (including cheese and wines) for a taster meal for two.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Syl wrote:It all sounds very arty farty, the lobster sounds nice though.

I like dining out..but there is no way I would go anywhere that costs £340 (including cheese and wines) for a taster meal for two.

What's a bloody taster meal anyway? It's stupid.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Syl wrote:On the news this morning, the Black Swan has been inundated with bookings and don't have a free table for months to come.

At £155 pp for a tasting menu alongside with a tasting drinks package....that's an awful lot of profit they will be making.

Good old Trip Advisor.

I don't think i'd pay that even if I was a millionaire.   I'm a good cook so food has to be top notch to impress me.  Recently visited Piccolino's in Didsbury, and that was over priced for what it was.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:46 pm

eddie wrote:
Included on the sample menu on the Black Swan’s website is:

Chicken dumpling

Squid dressed in horseradish juice

Lobster with onion and gooseberry

Sour bread and sour butter

Crapaudine beetroot cooked slowly in beef fat

Turbot with strawberries and cream

Texel lamb with turnip and mint

Brown butter and rhubarb

Strawberries and hay

Cake made from chicory root and blackcurrant.

Cheese is available for an extra £15

Nothing on that menu tempts me.

And! £15 for cheese???? I'm flabbergasted and more.

Strawberries and hay?  Oh do fuck off.   It's so far up it's own arse it's not true.   I can't stand that Blumenthal guy either.  Serving up food steamed in grass served up in a whore's drawers.   Leave it alone!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:It all sounds very arty farty, the lobster sounds nice though.

Basically its a variety of smaller meals that showcase the chefs speciality dishes.
The wines ..an extra £50pp will be selected to compliment each dish.
Its all a bit pretentious .

We went to a top chefs place called Nutters and had a similar meal a while ago...it wasnt as expensive as this place though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:

Basically its a variety of smaller meals that showcase the chefs speciality dishes.

We went to a top chefs place called Nutters and had a similar meal a while ago...it wasnt as expensive as this place though.

Yeah, been to Nutters.   It's very nice and classy.   Food was good too.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:

There's a great little place in Didsbury called Bistro 156.  It really is a good restaurant.  French/English Bistro and all using locally sourced ingredients.  They have a daily special board and it's one of the better places to eat in Manchester.  A bit of a hidden gem.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:20 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

There's a great little place in Didsbury called Bistro 156.  It really is a good restaurant.  French/English Bistro and all using locally sourced ingredients.  They have a daily special board and it's one of the better places to eat in Manchester.  A bit of a hidden gem.

I will make a note. The best restaurant in the world is in.... 2984306523
Paccinis...one in Swinton one in Ashton are good too.
Our favourite place has always been The White Hart in Saddleworth.....cosy with good food.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:03 pm

A very decent restaurant is Chez Gerard in London. I think they have a couple elsewhere. It's not mega expensive but it's really good food. Mind you that was a few years ago now so not sure if it's still up to standard.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:29 pm

It great to find a nice restaurant, its not a cheap night out and its so disappointing when the food isn't up to scratch.

Since OH retired and we have lots of days together, we tend to eat lunch out now rather than get ready for a posh restaurant evening meal.

We have found lots of really pretty cafes, tearooms and bistros ...some are even tucked away in garden centres. The food and cakes are often home made and usually there is a lovely outside sitting area.

Unless its really cold I love sitting out people watching .
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Syl wrote:It great to find a nice restaurant, its not a cheap night out and its so disappointing when the food isn't up to scratch.

Since OH retired and we have lots of days together, we tend to eat lunch out now rather than get ready for a posh restaurant evening meal.

We have found lots of really pretty cafes, tearooms and bistros ...some are even tucked away in garden centres. The food and cakes are often home made and usually there is a lovely outside sitting area.

People watching is the best.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:17 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:It great to find a nice restaurant, its not a cheap night out and its so disappointing when the food isn't up to scratch.

People watching is the best.  

And spotting lookalikes....my best was Benny Hill ....on a dilapidated bus in Spain. cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:20 pm

I have difficulty including the words "good food" in any sentence about Britain. But they do have some fantastic Pakistani and Thai restaurants there. Remember, Vietnamese and Thai food are French infused...and inspired.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:45 pm

The best in the world, ---------------your moms Kitchen, mostly !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:40 am

Original Quill wrote:I have difficulty including the words "good food" in any sentence about Britain.  But they do have some fantastic Pakistani and Thai restaurants there.  Remember, Vietnamese and Thai food are French infused...and inspired.

Ahem....The top two restuarants on that list are in Britain. Wink

We have some really fine food served here now.
Things have changed a lot in the last decade or so.....maybe you ate here in the past, when we didnt have such a good reputation regarding good food........or maybe you just went to the wrong places.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:21 am

He's one of them who sips the wine, and tells the waiter "it's corked" take it away !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 am

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:I have difficulty including the words "good food" in any sentence about Britain.  But they do have some fantastic Pakistani and Thai restaurants there.  Remember, Vietnamese and Thai food are French infused...and inspired.

We have some really fine food served here now.
Things have changed a lot in the last decade or so.....maybe you ate here in the past, when we didnt have such a good reputation regarding good food........or maybe you just went to the wrong places.

Or maybe he just doesn't like the British ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:15 pm

The worst people to go out and eat with are the ones who have read a lot about wines...but haven't drank many. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Coming from an American...the country of spray on cheese, that's funny.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:24 pm

To be fair, if the top 10 restaurants aren't all Indian then the list is bullshit imo Evil or Very Mad
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Eilzel wrote:

To be fair, if the top 10 restaurants aren't all Indian then the list is bullshit imo Evil or Very Mad

WTF mate

If Italian and Mexican are not 1 and 2. Then seriousluy people have never expanded their horisons on trying such delicious food.

Italian food smashes apart any indian food based on taste and richness.

The sauces from Italian and mexican dishes are that much better than Indian, to me.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Didge wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

WTF mate

If Italian and Mexican are not 1 and 2. Then seriousluy people have never expanded their horisons on trying such delicious food.

Smile

I must admit, I do love Italian food when done well. At its best it could beat anything Razz

But even mediocre Indian food is awesome Twisted Evil

Could always make room for Mexican too fiesta

That Indian, Italian and Mexican all fall to make the list in an absolute travesty. Fix if ever I saw one. Fake news to fuck Laughing
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Didge wrote:

WTF mate

Smile

I must admit, I do love Italian food when done well. At its best it could beat anything Razz

But even mediocre Indian food is awesome Twisted Evil

Could always make room for Mexican too fiesta

That Indian, Italian and Mexican all fall to make the list in an absolute travesty. Fix if ever I saw one. Fake news to fuck Laughing

You see what I mean in how its hard to choose what is better?

When it more depends on how well something is cooked?

Do not get me wrong I love Indian food, but can admit my favorite is Shepherds pie, neither Italian or Mexican. Where even more absurdly, its not even a pie.

lol!

I agree on your last sentence though big time.

All 3 should be in the top ten. 

The best restaurant in the world is in.... 1716015268

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Mediterranean food is the best, Italian and Greek being the ultimate.

Indian food is boring and really, all the flavours just merge into one. I also find ghee - the fat that Indian food is cooked in- far too greasy.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Syl wrote:

There are many lists.

Syl wrote:We have some really fine food served here now.

Without meaning to insult, the fact that you must say that speaks volumes. The Italians invented the art of wonderful cuisine, and taught the French. Unfortunately, the movement was halted at the Channel.

Syl wrote:Things have changed a lot in the last decade or so.....maybe you ate here in the past, when we didnt have such a good reputation regarding good food........or maybe you just went to the wrong places.

I have had many fine meals in the UK. Most have been in foreign restaurants.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:20 pm

I like all kinds of food and each has its merits.  

Indian - the real stuff, not  your take away shite, is amazing.   The spices have to be ground freshly and then fried to release the true flavour, it's no good bunging a handful of meat into a stock sauce, which is what the lower end eateries do.

Chinese - All fresh, and handmade, sans MSG,  it's second to none.

French - The creme de la creme of cuisine.

Italian - fresh pasta, no soggy sauces, just fresh ingredients, but a good Italian is not confined to pasta.

Greek - I love Greek food, particularly their slow cooked rich dishes.  Stifado, meatballs, moussaka.

British?   We do have wonderful food, but we're not a nation of complainers, so there's too many shit restaurants here that get away with murder and bad food.   One of my favourite Old English foods is Fidget Pie made with onion, potato and cheese with herbs, black pepper.   It's delicious.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:41 pm

eddie wrote:Mediterranean food is the best, Italian and Greek being the ultimate.

Indian food is boring and really, all the flavours just merge into one. I also find ghee - the fat that Indian food is cooked in- far too greasy.

If you think the flavours merge into one, then either the spice is too much for you or your tastebuds aren't developed enough Wink

Last edited by Eilzel on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:58 am

Fish and Chips eaten out of paper when coming home from the Cinema !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:01 am

And I don't think any of you remember as a kid, "penny's worth of scratching please"?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:08 am

Have you ever had finn n' haddie?

Or mackeral? (No, not a fish.)

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:10 am

No Quill, what is it?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down