NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religion is it a choice ?

+2
veya_victaous
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Religion is it a choice

Religion is it a choice ? - Page 2 Vote_lcap82% Religion is it a choice ? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 82% 
[ 9 ]
 Religion is it a choice ? - Page 2 Vote_lcap18% Religion is it a choice ? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 11

Religion is it a choice ? - Page 2 Empty Religion is it a choice ?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Discuss

I think it is a choice
You can either choose to believe in a god/ Supream being or choose not to

Back to top Go down

Religion is it a choice ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Religion is it a choice ?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:59 am

PhilDidge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

So you chose to have it fade?  Lucky you.

You woke up one morning and decided that you did not want to believe what you believed so just turned it off.

No what I did was I stopped trying to seek answers to something I knew I would never find the answer to, life, I then was set free, I then knew my life was my own and I could make out of it what I wanted to

But I dont spend time trying to find answers. I do know my life is my own and I do not believe in predestination or anything like that. It is not like that at all. I cant really explain it but it is more an awareness than anything else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:01 am

sphinx wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

I am happy that you have faith though it seems you are in conflict as to why, thus it is not wrong of either to express my views on the matter or of people that do follow belief. So it is not personal, more trying to also understand you, as to why you do, and I see no wrong in that!

Oh yes there is conflict - tell me would I be conflicted if I could just choose?

I do not have a problem trying to explain I have a problem when people tell me it is choice - I have the same problem as does the gay person when people tell them they choose to be gay.  Tell a gay its a lifestyle choice and it will not go down well - tell me its a belief choice and you get the same reaction.

But you can choose, you choose not to, because what makes your view point fit is faith, so you do not question the faith part,but more why people question you having faith, it is a defense mechanism, because you already have a view you do not wish to challenge in your heart, you want the faith to be real, so you do not question this, what you questions is everybody else for why they do, as it helps stop you from questioning yourself.
Nobody is saying you have a problem either here, because only you yourself would know deep down if you did, everything is subjective here, but I have an advantage from feeling once as you did

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:03 am

PhilDidge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

My point is did you decide to change the feeling or did it change without you doing anything?  I know its sounds silly but you get people who start out fancying one gender and then as they get older start fancying the other - its a spectrum.

I have tried to change what I feel - it has not worked.

The feeling that you have is an illusion, you have a desire, a desire to want your feelings to be right, this drives your feelings further, because you want to and do except the explanation of why there must be a reason why you are here or a meaning to you existing. That is what is driving this feeling, not faith, that only explains why the faith part is actually stopping you from finding the answers, because it will always cloud your view points from and stop you losing a feeling that not only makes you feel right but makes sense to you, as it fits the answers to questions neither of us know. Thus your feeling is an illusions, of which you  are not unaware are feeding, because it fits what you do not understand  

Honestly what you are describing is totally alien to me. It may have been your experience but it is not mine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:03 am

sphinx wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

No what I did was I stopped trying to seek answers to something I knew I would never find the answer to, life, I then was set free, I then knew my life was my own and I could make out of it what I wanted to

But I dont spend time trying to find answers.  I do know my life is my own and I do not believe in predestination or anything like that.  It is not like that at all.  I cant really explain it but it is more an awareness than anything else.

You admitted as much earlier Sphinx that you do, faith fits what you need and answers questions for you, what you are afraid of doing is questioning whether that faith has value in the first place.
Personally, I hope you never do, as having is no bad thing, as it brings a sense of purpose to many, and would never take that away from them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:06 am

sphinx wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

The feeling that you have is an illusion, you have a desire, a desire to want your feelings to be right, this drives your feelings further, because you want to and do except the explanation of why there must be a reason why you are here or a meaning to you existing. That is what is driving this feeling, not faith, that only explains why the faith part is actually stopping you from finding the answers, because it will always cloud your view points from and stop you losing a feeling that not only makes you feel right but makes sense to you, as it fits the answers to questions neither of us know. Thus your feeling is an illusions, of which you  are not unaware are feeding, because it fits what you do not understand  

Honestly what you are describing is totally alien to me.  It may have been your experience but it is not mine.

I doubt it is Sphinx, I think you know what I am saying is true, but am not going to press it out of respect that you have belief.

Have a good evening

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:09 am

PhilDidge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Oh yes there is conflict - tell me would I be conflicted if I could just choose?

I do not have a problem trying to explain I have a problem when people tell me it is choice - I have the same problem as does the gay person when people tell them they choose to be gay.  Tell a gay its a lifestyle choice and it will not go down well - tell me its a belief choice and you get the same reaction.

But you can choose, you choose not to, because what makes your view point fit is faith, so you do not question the faith part,but more why people question you having faith, it is a defense mechanism, because you already have a view you do not wish to challenge in your heart, you want the faith to be real, so you do not question this, what you questions is everybody else for why they do, as it helps stop you from questioning yourself.
Nobody is saying you have a problem either here, because only you yourself would know deep down if you did, everything is subjective here, but I have an advantage from feeling once as you did

Do you not think I spent years questioning myself before I was daft enough to be honest in public?

This is something that causes me distress and dilemma. Do I spout the atheist science logic lines and act like I am the same as everyone else or do I be honest about what is inside of me?

You say you once felt as I do but nothing you are saying matches my experience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 am

sphinx wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Do you not think I spent years questioning myself before I was daft enough to be honest in public?  

This is something that causes me distress and dilemma.  Do I spout the atheist science logic lines and act like I am the same as everyone else or do I be honest about what is inside of me?  

Sorry you are taking this the wrong way, it is not meant to be personal about you as a person, but debating what I myself understand and also questioning and asking you.
I know I felt the same as you, I once reacted as you do now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:15 am

sphinx wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

This is something that causes me distress and dilemma.  Do I spout the atheist science logic lines and act like I am the same as everyone else or do I be honest about what is inside of me?  

Do you feel like what you're experiencing contradicts science or is simply beyond logical analysis, or at least the ways we have of logically analyzing things at present?

Very interesting discussion, I have to add.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:19 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Do you feel like what you're experiencing contradicts science or is simply beyond logical analysis, or at least the ways we have of logically analyzing things at present?

Agreed Ben , this topic has so many variables or outcomes to how people see or believe and find it fascinating.
Just read your last post, sorry when it gets this good with debate, is easy to lose track of all, will reply more tomorrow, but is late and have to go.

have a good evening!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:21 am

PhilDidge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

But I dont spend time trying to find answers.  I do know my life is my own and I do not believe in predestination or anything like that.  It is not like that at all.  I cant really explain it but it is more an awareness than anything else.

You admitted as much earlier Sphinx that you do, faith fits what you need and answers questions for you, what you are afraid of doing is questioning whether that faith has value in the first place.
Personally, I hope you never do, as having is no bad thing, as it brings a sense of purpose to many, and would never take that away from them

I find my answers through logic experiment and science as much as is possible. I might explore such subjects as why are here and is this all there is but I not claim to have answers - I fully accept intellectually that death may be the end - and no I am not scared of death (obviously I do not expect people to believe that because it is just a statement however it is true)

I would actually have to say that what I feel has negative value - because trust me I do question what I get out of it.

Think of it this way - how would I know it was not a choice unless I had tried to change the proposed choice and why would I want to change the choice if that choice had value to me?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:26 am

PhilDidge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Sorry you are taking this the wrong way, it is not meant to be personal about you as a person, but debating what I myself understand and also questioning and asking you.
I know I felt the same as you, I once reacted as you do now!

No I am not taking it the wrong way - although I appreciate some of my posts will come across that way as I am forgetting the lack of emphasis you get with type written stuff.

I would also be careful with thinking you know how someone feels - that your feeling was the same. I do not think there is ever sufficient data to decide that and unless we develop telepathy and can show others direct we will never be able to answer that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:28 am

Will expand more on your points tomorrow, but if you believe you have no choice, then you have no free will Sphinx, that means all your views and beliefs are being directed and that the life you are leading is not of your own making. If that is what faith or life is then it is not a very fair deal for you or anyone.

That is why faith is a choice as you are able to make decisions yourself, if not then you have no free will.

Thanks, as this is very interesting, catch you tomorrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:32 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sphinx wrote:

No it does not contradict science - it is almost like seeing science the way we now see religious fables but without having anything to go in the position that we now hold science in. Or the way some autistics do high maths calculations - they know the answer, they know they are right but could not tell you within a million years how they got the answer - only with the added confusion of not knowing what the question is

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:44 am

PhilDidge wrote:Will expand more on your points tomorrow, but if you believe you have no choice, then you have no free will Sphinx, that means all your views and beliefs are being directed and that the life you are leading is  not of your own making. If that is what faith or life is then it is not a very fair deal for you or anyone.

That is why faith is a choice as you are able to make decisions yourself, if not then you have no free will.

Tomorrow sounds good but will answer this quick.

Do you think that a person not being able to choose their sexuality means they do not have free will?

Or my OH is colour blind - he can describe how the world looks to him and I can imagine it but I cannot physically see it.

I can choose to do or not do anything - and may well choose to both do and not do where I have repeated experience. I mean I am at the self checkout with a load of mushrooms - I could tell the computer they were onions and pay less for them. I choose not to - not because I think I will punished in the after life or god will disapprove but because if I got caught I would be punished in this life. I do not think it would make a blind bit of difference to the universe if I did or did not, and I do think I have been predestined not to shop lift. It comes down to the fact that the risks involved scare me - yet I will happily do other risky things that scare other people.

Anyway I am seriously late for bed - I hate this time of year as my sleep pattern gets screwed up.

Night peoples see you tomorrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:00 am

I think the question should be....do you believe in God, science or both.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:41 am

sphinx wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

No it does not contradict science - it is almost like seeing science the way we now see religious fables but without having anything to go in the position that we now hold science in.  Or the way some autistics do high maths calculations - they know the answer, they know they are right but could not tell you within a million years how they got the answer - only with the added confusion of not knowing what the question is

While that is true of younger kids, once educated enough, some can and will tell you exactly which formulas and theories they are using. they are also very good a proving why these theories work in the first place.
With enough Mathematics you can answer anything, but it is also true that once you start getting in to 'irrational numbers' etc that are used in Quantum Physics the Maths becomes too complex for most people to follow.

At which point it does become faith like.

Faith is Incompatible with Science. Science Requires Proof, Faith is by definition 'Belief without Proof'. BUT Humans do not have to be consistent so may have elements of both in practice.

May the truth be written in 0's and 1's  ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo::
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:05 am

Warren Moon wrote:I think the question should be....do you believe in God, science or both.

Ah, but "believing" in science is nothing like "believing" in God. Science offers anyone of reasonable intelligence the opportunity to decide for him or herself whether its conclusions are valid. For example, I could tell you that things fall to earth because our planet is gigantic and large bodies exert an attractive force on smaller ones, and with the proper equipment and know-how you could test that conclusion and decide for yourself if you accepted it. The fact that it's essentially universally accepted is because it has been tested so many times.

All ideas of God, besides ones that are practically ineffable feelings like what Sphinx is describing, are not testable through such means, and all such knowledge tends to come through authority figures, who got it from other authority figures, and so on.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:17 am

sphinx wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:Will expand more on your points tomorrow, but if you believe you have no choice, then you have no free will Sphinx, that means all your views and beliefs are being directed and that the life you are leading is  not of your own making. If that is what faith or life is then it is not a very fair deal for you or anyone.

Do you think that a person not being able to choose their sexuality means they do not have free will?  

Or my OH is colour blind - he can describe how the world looks to him and I can imagine it but I cannot  physically see it.

I can choose to do or not do anything - and may well choose to both do and not do where I have  repeated experience.  I mean I am at the self checkout with a load of mushrooms - I could tell the computer they were onions and pay less for them.  I choose not to - not because I think I will punished in the after life or god will disapprove but because if I got caught I would be punished in this life.  I do not think it would make a blind bit of difference to the universe if I did or did not, and I do think I have been predestined not to shop lift.  It comes down to the fact that the risks involved scare me - yet I will happily do other risky things that scare other people.

Anyway I am seriously late for bed - I hate this time of year as my sleep pattern gets screwed up.

Sorry but we are talking about two very different things here, to even class them the same is to me ridiculous. There are many things people are born with, just as I was born heterosexual, I do not fancy men. Your conclusions is based on no sound science to say you are born with a feeling that you cannot decide on, as your feeling is a belief. Now to prove this was the case you would starve people from birth without any knowledge of a deity to see if they actually then came to this feeling you have, in fact we would see that of these people you claim have this, they would not be able to ever change this feeling. Yet like I say I have had and others a very strong feeling of faith, only to lose this feeling when as I see how my eyes were opened. Many people claim their eyes are opened with faith, I actually think it is the other way round, as to me not having a choice on a feeling is to lack free will, being your whole life is predisposed, even though what action you take thinking they are your own are not, all have been premeditated. It is actually one the the fundamentally biggest reason I do not have faith, because something that is as people believe infallible and immortal already is meant to know how you live your life, that is not choice but again premeditated. It also makes no logic to be designed this way, but that is getting deeper into the realms of the unknown. Don't forget you have to look at this as if we are too believe you are correct and a deity does exist, hence why I say you would have no free will if faith is not a choice .  

Believing religious dogma is free will. As how can I be held morally responsible for a belief when disbelief is treated as a sin if it is not free will? How can it be possible for some to defend the idea of me an atheist going to hell unless they believe I can be held morally accountable for my atheism? 

I actually disagree with some of the views in regards to science and religion being incompatible, because , within religion science has also advanced and some of the greatest scientists have been religious, what is important only as a scientists is that your faith does not conflict with your work.

There is also a problem with faith not being a choice, in that why would you create some one way and others another way, that is not the work of perfection or design and we see this throughout life where things go wrong in humans with terrible conditions, which shows that this is not a design to me, Humans certainly have inbuilt morality and the capacity to believe in faith, of which again I think this stems more again due to fascination of wanting to know life after death. This is not me having a go at anything or anyone how we are born, but the fact of the matter that would show flaws with design.

So to me faith is nothing more than a choice and yet see of those who are of faith see it as not a choice and to me they are not allowing themselves a choice, in my view. What is important is what do you question about faith and what you think is faith?

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:08 am

@phil
they are incompatible because they are separate. religion Cannot be part of science as religion simply doesn't stand up to the Scientific methodology.
So cold hard SKYNET logic dictates they are incompatible.

As I left unsaid HUMANS however are both Paradoxical and fallible creatures. thus Humans do not have to live their lives by cold hard logic... but it does advantage of our species if we can use the cold hard logic we are capable of to understand the real world that we exist in (i.e. Science).

I honestly believe that through pursuit of modern science and technology we can achieve everything religion aspired to and more. While, I in theory have no issue with religion, it has caused issue by it's interference in our pursuit of science and technology. They need to accept they are fairytales no more based in the real world than the works of Aesop. (The Tortoise and Hare, etc) It should not interfere with the pursuit of knowledge.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:39 am

Sorry veya that is nonsense, the only time they would be incompatible is when they conflict and in many areas of science they do not conflict. Many religious people have furthered science.

There is no denying some people of faith have tried to stem the flow of science more out of fear that it may disprove what they believe. But actual scientists who are religious have no conflict with the fields they are in.

Science is not the only way we understand things, the difference from other ways is in its dependence on empirical evidence and testable explanations. What you also forget is that acceptance of the evidence for evolution can be compatible with religious faith.

Thus they can and are compatible

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:16 am

veya_victaous wrote:
sphinx wrote:

No it does not contradict science - it is almost like seeing science the way we now see religious fables but without having anything to go in the position that we now hold science in.  Or the way some autistics do high maths calculations - they know the answer, they know they are right but could not tell you within a million years how they got the answer - only with the added confusion of not knowing what the question is

While that is true of younger kids, once educated enough, some can and will tell you exactly which formulas and theories they are using. they are also very good a proving why these theories work in the first place.
With enough Mathematics you can answer anything, but it is also true that once you start getting in to 'irrational numbers' etc that are used in Quantum Physics the Maths becomes too complex for most people to follow.

At which point it does become faith like.

Faith is Incompatible with Science. Science Requires Proof, Faith is by definition 'Belief without Proof'. BUT Humans do not have to be consistent so may have elements of both in practice.

May the truth be written in 0's and 1's  ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo:: ::alahoo::

Thats not quite what I meant - what I meant is when an autistic is able to solve a problem using the right formula which they can explain but cannot explain how they knew the formula in the first place. They know they used a formula but cannot explain how they knew to use it or where it came from.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 am

Of course religion is a choice!

It's up to the individual if she /he wants to believe in a Deity.

You cannot force it on anyone.

@Ben as far as I know murderers don't go to heaven Wink
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:21 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Warren Moon wrote:I think the question should be....do you believe in God, science or both.

Ah, but "believing" in science is nothing like "believing" in God. Science offers anyone of reasonable intelligence the opportunity to decide for him or herself whether its conclusions are valid. For example, I could tell you that things fall to earth because our planet is gigantic and large bodies exert an attractive force on smaller ones, and with the proper equipment and know-how you could test that conclusion and decide for yourself if you accepted it. The fact that it's essentially universally accepted is because it has been tested so many times.

All ideas of God, besides ones that are practically ineffable feelings like what Sphinx is describing, are not testable through such means, and all such knowledge tends to come through authority figures, who got it from other authority figures, and so on.

As someone raised away from religion by parents who had rejected religion I have no idea what authority figures my knowledge came from. I do not follow or practice any religion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:37 am

PhilDidge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Or my OH is colour blind - he can describe how the world looks to him and I can imagine it but I cannot  physically see it.

I can choose to do or not do anything - and may well choose to both do and not do where I have  repeated experience.  I mean I am at the self checkout with a load of mushrooms - I could tell the computer they were onions and pay less for them.  I choose not to - not because I think I will punished in the after life or god will disapprove but because if I got caught I would be punished in this life.  I do not think it would make a blind bit of difference to the universe if I did or did not, and I do think I have been predestined not to shop lift.  It comes down to the fact that the risks involved scare me - yet I will happily do other risky things that scare other people.

Sorry but we are talking about two very different things here, to even class them the same is to me ridiculous. There are many things people are born with, just as I was born heterosexual, I do not fancy men. Your conclusions is based on no sound science to say you are born with a feeling that you cannot decide on, as your feeling is a belief. Now to prove this was the case you would starve people from birth without any knowledge of a deity to see if they actually then came to this feeling you have, in fact we would see that of these people you claim have this, they would not be able to ever change this feeling. Yet like I say I have had and others a very strong feeling of faith, only to lose this feeling when as I see how my eyes were opened. Many people claim their eyes are opened with faith, I actually think it is the other way round, as to me not having a choice on a feeling is to lack free will, being your whole life is predisposed, even though what action you take thinking they are your own are not, all have been premeditated. It is actually one the the fundamentally biggest reason I do not have faith, because something that is as people believe infallible and immortal already is meant to know how you live your life, that is not choice but again premeditated. It also makes no logic to be designed this way, but that is getting deeper into the realms of the unknown. Don't forget you have to look at this as if we are too believe you are correct and a deity does exist, hence why I say you would have no free will if faith is not a choice .  

Believing religious dogma is free will. As how can I be held morally responsible for a belief when disbelief is treated as a sin if it is not free will? How can it be possible for some to defend the idea of me an atheist going to hell unless they believe I can be held morally accountable for my atheism? 

I actually disagree with some of the views in regards to science and religion being incompatible, because , within religion science has also advanced and some of the greatest scientists have been religious, what is important only as a scientists is that your faith does not conflict with your work.

There is also a problem with faith not being a choice, in that why would you create some one way and others another way, that is not the work of perfection or design and we see this throughout life where things go wrong in humans with terrible conditions, which shows that this is not a design to me, Humans certainly have inbuilt morality and the capacity to believe in faith, of which again I think this stems more again due to fascination of wanting to know life after death. This is not me having a go at anything or anyone how we are born, but the fact of the matter that would show flaws with design.

So to me faith is nothing more than a choice and yet see of those who are of faith see it as not a choice and to me they are not allowing themselves a choice, in my view. What is important is what do you question about faith and what you think is faith?

Again you are confusing my meanings - I am not religious, I do not believe any religious dogma, I certainly do not believe in an old man with a beard or the more poplar Morgan Freeman representation. I can quite happily sit down and point out all the ways various religious texts are wrong both scientifically and socially and morally - as well as the areas they get it right.

You keep talking about how you lost your feeling of faith - well how did you do it? That would be rather more useful to me than being told its my choice. What steps did you take? What actions were necessary. How can I do the same thing? If something is a choice then there must be something people can be shown to do.

Also you keep going on about free will - free will is about actions. To kill or not to kill. I am talking about a feeling. Yes many people whose faith is tied up in whatever religion they were fed believe they must act a certain way and cannot act another - that what they can do is limited by "god" and they indeed do not have free will. That is not the case with me - as I follow no religion there are no rules restricting me except those I place on myself - and that includes whether or not I obey societies rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:41 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:Of course religion is a choice!

If we can all accept for a minute that "Deity" doe not necessarily equal a supernatural humanoid with an in depth interest in a small lump of rock in a galaxy that itself is insignificant in the universe which may be part of a multiverse.

How do I stop believing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:45 am

I think it is for some - white Westerners for instance.

For children growing up in muslim families, maybe not so much.

Even worse if you are a girl. If you're male, at 16+ you have more freedom - you can get drunk, take drugs and go to the casino to lose the tax money which has been squirrelled away. Not so if you're a girl though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:49 am

sphinx wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Again you are confusing my meanings - I am not religious,  I do not believe any religious dogma, I certainly do not believe in an old man with a beard or the more poplar Morgan Freeman representation.  I can quite happily sit down and point out all the ways various religious texts are wrong both scientifically and socially and morally - as well as the areas they get it right.

You keep talking about how you lost your feeling of faith - well how did you do it?  That would be rather more useful to me than being told its my choice. What steps did you take?  What actions were necessary.  How can I do the same thing?  If something is a choice then there must be something people can be shown to do.

Also you keep going on about free will - free will is about actions.  To kill or not to kill.  I am talking about a feeling.  Yes many people whose faith is tied up in whatever religion they were fed  believe they must act a certain way and cannot act another - that what they can do is limited by "god" and they indeed do not have free will.  That is not the case with me - as I follow no religion there are no rules restricting me except those I place on myself - and that includes whether or not I obey societies rules.

There are too many reasons why I came to lose faith which would take days to explain and one being how I find the concept of a deity to be illogical, especially with things I have already mentioned.
Sorry it is also free will to have faith and will help explain why. as i even understand your view point here but with one exception. Belief requires good reasons, and although people may argue or even debate over what are good reasons it is those reasons which cause belief, not choice. Thus the choice to believe is based upon reasons, which there are no sound reasons a deity exist

Have you ever doubted your faith, by faith I mean a belief in a deity?

Last edited by PhilDidge on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:51 am

sphinx wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:Of course religion is a choice!

If we can all accept for a minute that "Deity" doe not necessarily equal a supernatural humanoid with an in depth interest in a small lump of rock in a galaxy that itself is insignificant in the universe which may be part of a multiverse.

How do I stop believing?

I don't know really. Belief is also a strong feeling that it feels 'right' to believe in a certain way. You may have evidence in forms of literature or just a mere gut instinct.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:53 am

BigAndy9 wrote:I think it is for some - white Westerners for instance.

Even worse if you are a girl.  If you're male, at 16+ you have more freedom - you can get drunk, take drugs and go to the casino to lose the tax money which has been squirrelled away.  Not so if you're a girl though.

And the award for the most stupid post goes to Andy!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:58 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:I think it is for some - white Westerners for instance.

Even worse if you are a girl.  If you're male, at 16+ you have more freedom - you can get drunk, take drugs and go to the casino to lose the tax money which has been squirrelled away.  Not so if you're a girl though.

And the award for the most stupid post goes to Andy!

I think most would agree that it happens a lot in the UK.

The men of certain religions come here to do just that.

The men of certain religions are fighting for power in certain countries so they can control the people in one way, but they will be doing just what I have said, in private.

Everybody wants freedom to do just what I have said.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:04 am

You made a stupid assumption there Andy and you know it.

Did you know most Muslim women actually dominate their husbands/ sons?

Go out and meet some muslim people you may surprise yourself. Lol
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:04 am

PhilDidge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Again you are confusing my meanings - I am not religious,  I do not believe any religious dogma, I certainly do not believe in an old man with a beard or the more poplar Morgan Freeman representation.  I can quite happily sit down and point out all the ways various religious texts are wrong both scientifically and socially and morally - as well as the areas they get it right.

You keep talking about how you lost your feeling of faith - well how did you do it?  That would be rather more useful to me than being told its my choice. What steps did you take?  What actions were necessary.  How can I do the same thing?  If something is a choice then there must be something people can be shown to do.

Also you keep going on about free will - free will is about actions.  To kill or not to kill.  I am talking about a feeling.  Yes many people whose faith is tied up in whatever religion they were fed  believe they must act a certain way and cannot act another - that what they can do is limited by "god" and they indeed do not have free will.  That is not the case with me - as I follow no religion there are no rules restricting me except those I place on myself - and that includes whether or not I obey societies rules.

There are too many reasons why I came to lose faith which would take days to explain and one being how I find the concept of a deity to be illogical, especially with things I have already mentioned.
Sorry it is also free will to have faith and will help explain why. as i even understand your view point here but with one exception. Belief requires good reasons, and although people may argue or even debate over what are good reasons it is those reasons which cause belief, not choice.

So you have a list of reasons why it happened - that is not what I am asking. I am asking what you did that I need to do.

Doubted? No. Had a moment when it was gone yes. Difficult to describe - not all good not all bad.

By the way what do you mean by belief in a deity?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:07 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:
sphinx wrote:

How do I stop believing?

I don't know really. Belief is also a strong feeling that it feels 'right' to believe in a certain way. You may have evidence in forms of literature or just a mere gut instinct.

You are at honest SM Smile 

It is a choice but you dont know how that choice is made.

I work from the position that if people do not know how to make the choice can it really be considered a choice at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:09 am

sphinx wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Sorry it is also free will to have faith and will help explain why. as i even understand your view point here but with one exception. Belief requires good reasons, and although people may argue or even debate over what are good reasons it is those reasons which cause belief, not choice.

So you have a list of reasons why it happened - that is not what I am asking.  I am asking what you did that I need to do.

Doubted?  No.  Had a  moment when it was gone yes.  Difficult to describe - not all good not all bad.

By the way what do you mean by belief in a deity?

As you know I have looked into much theology and to me I first of all saw many of the contradictions within faiths, I also looked at whether there still could be a deity but none that you have the dogma with, a designer lets call it, again there was no rational reason behind a deity/designer existing, but for me to even explain further I would have to understand what you really believe in which at present is vague, so maybe you can explain this feeling as to what it actually constitutes?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:15 am

Anyway I just had a thought Sphinx, as you are not religious the question does not apply to you, as what we have to understand and debate over is whether your view/faith is a choice?
Correct?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:58 am

PhilDidge wrote:Anyway I just had a thought Sphinx, as you are not religious the question does not apply to you, as what we have to understand and debate over is whether your view/faith is a choice?
Correct?

Again the use of view/faith as interchangeable - to me they have very different meanings. Your view/religion is a choice. The presence of faith is not.

I too have looked into theology - and drawn the same conclusions as yourself namely that religion is a crock of shit.

I will put forward the theory that just as many religious myths grew up as people tried to provide themselves with an explanation for natural phenomena they could not otherwise explain religion itself grew as an attempt to provide definition and explanation for faith.

As to what I actually feel - if I were skilled enough to actually put it into words I would probably be rich by now but I will do my best.

An understanding without knowledge of how that understanding came about that what we sense and experience of this existence which is all that we can define, is but a miniscule fraction of a percent of a whole that no one person can possible hope to comprehend in its entirety.

Some people catch bigger glimpses than others - these become the objects of worship themselves as in Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha etc.

There are inherent truths that are felt but not understood - for example "Thou art God" - I cannot tell you what that means I just know its meaning is true.

I do not say there is a start or an end and I know reality as we know it is an illusion - I just dont know what type of illusion.

Humans are not central to anything or even important - but our "life essences" or "souls" may be literally everything.

I have just successfully written a huge amount of chaotic garbage which does not come close to explaining - if telepathy were possible I could show you - with language it is impossible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:04 pm

What a very interesting question, I would say yes and no, which probably doesn't help.
I say yes because in many cases you have freedom to choose whether you believe or not with little or no external pressure applied to sway your decision but in some cultures real serious pressure is applied as it would be seen as wrong by other believers or a slight on the whole family.
it should be individual choice though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:10 pm

So you still have a belief system Sphinx, which is not based upon sound knowledge, which is faith also, but this faith is based upon things you could have been influenced by indirectly? You believe in a soul, of which there is no proof to the existence of a soul, so whilst it is well debated that faith is not a choice and I understand this concept very well, you have beliefs based upon concepts that do not have any rational backing to, they are classed as irrational beliefs and am not knocking you, that is just the term, as your beliefs are not backed or supported. However what you have is a belief also and a belief requires choice. So I do understand exactly where you are coming from on this, as faith as a concept (it does not have to be religious is not a choice) but what is a choice is belief and beliefs are based upon things that are introduced to us, unless of course you can prove no such influence of souls came onto you?

So whilst I agree to a certain point you have regarding around the meaning of faith, when this introduces beliefs on concepts known, they to me are a choice you have introduced into this faith you have.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:58 pm

PhilDidge wrote:So you still have a belief system Sphinx, which is not based upon sound knowledge, which is faith also, but this faith is based upon things you could have been influenced by indirectly? You believe in a soul, of which there is no proof to the existence of a soul, so whilst it is well debated that faith is not a choice and I understand this concept very well, you have beliefs based upon concepts that do not have any rational backing to, they are classed as irrational beliefs and am not knocking you, that is just the term, as your beliefs are not backed or supported. However what you have is a belief also and a belief requires choice. So I do understand exactly where you are coming from on this, as faith as a concept (it does not have to be religious is not a choice) but what is a choice is belief and beliefs are based upon things that are introduced to us, unless of course you can prove no such influence of souls came onto you?

So whilst I agree to a certain point you have regarding around the meaning of faith, when this introduces beliefs on concepts known, they to me are a choice you have introduced into this faith you have.

Yep see I told you I was not going to be able to explain in words.

For example "soul" which I put in inverted commas to try and show that I am not using in its usual meaning. There is not a word for what I mean - and it is not something I "believe" in it is something I "know".

Yes to believe in "soul" as defined by common religions would be a choice - but that is not what I mean. I could throw in the words "essence" "definition" "core" , I could refer to "collective psyche" and the personal part of that - but I would still not be communicating what I mean.

This is why I do keep drawing comparisons with sexuality. What I have is not "beliefs" it is a feeling and/or a "knowing" - it is not concious thing that has to be thought about - it is the same as breathing or feeling attracted to someone - it just is. (and by comparison its absence for a moment was just as distinctly just not)

I mean try explaining to someone what hunger feels like, or how you respond to the person down the street you fancy, or the colour pink.

And at the end of this is of course the possibility that I am simply delusional - but that comes back to reality being an illusion which would make everything a delusion - or nothing at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Hey baby, delusions are happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:09 pm

sphinx wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:So you still have a belief system Sphinx, which is not based upon sound knowledge, which is faith also, but this faith is based upon things you could have been influenced by indirectly? You believe in a soul, of which there is no proof to the existence of a soul, so whilst it is well debated that faith is not a choice and I understand this concept very well, you have beliefs based upon concepts that do not have any rational backing to, they are classed as irrational beliefs and am not knocking you, that is just the term, as your beliefs are not backed or supported. However what you have is a belief also and a belief requires choice. So I do understand exactly where you are coming from on this, as faith as a concept (it does not have to be religious is not a choice) but what is a choice is belief and beliefs are based upon things that are introduced to us, unless of course you can prove no such influence of souls came onto you?

For example "soul" which I put in inverted commas to try and show that I am not using in its usual meaning.  There is not a word for what I mean - and it is not something I "believe" in it is something I "know".
Come on Sphinx that is a tad of a copout, you were clear in your use of the term soul and my contention is it is a belief that was introduced to you whether indirectly or indirectly. You never stated the closest I can describe this would be similar to the concept of a Soul soul

Yes to believe in "soul" as defined by common religions would be a choice - but that is not what I mean.  I could throw in the words "essence" "definition" "core" ,  I could refer to "collective psyche" and the personal part of that - but I would still not be communicating what I mean.
Yes but as stated you described very clearly your belief in a soul

This is why I do keep drawing comparisons with sexuality.  What I have is not "beliefs" it is a feeling and/or a "knowing" - it is not concious thing that has to be thought about - it is the same as breathing or feeling attracted to someone - it just is.  (and by comparison its absence for a moment was just as distinctly just not)
Again i think more than anything you are trying to deny yourself it is a belief to back the view you have that you cannot chose, that really seems even more the case to me, have you have formed this view to explain many variations  

I mean try explaining to someone what hunger feels like, or how you respond to the person down the street you fancy, or the colour pink.
Sphinx I understand very well the concept of faith,l as we all have certain aspects of faith, not the religious kind that is for sure, but I strongly believe you are trying to some how say your beliefs are not influenced, which faiths with beliefs are a choice. So no need to ask me to describe being hungry what is in affect different from each person to the next, a feeling, I get that part and understand again this concept well    

And at the end of this is of course the possibility that I am simply delusional - but that comes back to reality being an illusion which would make everything a delusion - or nothing at all.

I think there is no way forward with the discussion now really, as to me you clearly stated something to then change it to now something similar to a soul, essence what ever you wish to describe are concepts known, which have no rational belief, which states to me clearly choice.
Hey ho, I doubt you will see otherwise and I am not convinced with your explanations to it not being a choice. This is not a knock on you either, as I doubt being as this is you debating feelings about yourself, you will sway them in your favour each time anyway.
Anyway it was interesting and thank you for sharing, I agree some of your views are right, but I still maintain what you have is also beliefs which would be a choice

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:33 pm

actually i think if you are forced to believe i cannot be by faith so technically you never believed you merely acted the part.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:42 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

For example "soul" which I put in inverted commas to try and show that I am not using in its usual meaning.  There is not a word for what I mean - and it is not something I "believe" in it is something I "know".
Come on Sphinx that is a tad of a copout, you were clear in your use of the term soul and my contention is it is a belief that was introduced to you whether indirectly or indirectly. You never stated the closest I can describe this would be similar to the concept of a Soul soul

Yes to believe in "soul" as defined by common religions would be a choice - but that is not what I mean.  I could throw in the words "essence" "definition" "core" ,  I could refer to "collective psyche" and the personal part of that - but I would still not be communicating what I mean.
Yes but as stated you described very clearly your belief in a soul

This is why I do keep drawing comparisons with sexuality.  What I have is not "beliefs" it is a feeling and/or a "knowing" - it is not concious thing that has to be thought about - it is the same as breathing or feeling attracted to someone - it just is.  (and by comparison its absence for a moment was just as distinctly just not)
Again i think more than anything you are trying to deny yourself it is a belief to back the view you have that you cannot chose, that really seems even more the case to me, have you have formed this view to explain many variations  

Sphinx I understand very well the concept of faith,l as we all have certain aspects of faith, not the religious kind that is for sure, but I strongly believe you are trying to some how say your beliefs are not influenced, which faiths with beliefs are a choice. So no need to ask me to describe being hungry what is in affect different from each person to the next, a feeling, I get that part and understand again this concept well    

I think there is no way forward with the discussion now really, as to me you clearly stated something to then change it to now something similar to a soul, essence what ever you wish to describe are concepts known, which have no rational belief, which states to me clearly choice.
Hey ho, I doubt you will see otherwise and I am not convinced with your explanations to it not being a choice. This is not a knock on you either, as I doubt being as this is you debating feelings about yourself, you will sway them in your favour each time anyway.
Anyway it was interesting and thank you for sharing, I agree some of your views are right, but I still maintain what you have is also beliefs which would be a choice

Yes closest I can describe - as in not really describing at all

No I put as clearly as I could my "knowing" that each person (and all other living things incidentally) are more than a collection of bio chemical electrical reactions.

Again if I can choose how exactly do I get rid of this faith/belief/knowing?

If someone tells me how to do it than I can indeed do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Again have you doubted this faith/belief/knowing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:53 pm

PhilDidge wrote:Again have you doubted this faith/belief/knowing?

what has doubting faith etc got to do with anything?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:54 pm

heavenly father wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:Again have you doubted this faith/belief/knowing?

Plenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:11 pm

It comes from within and you only have to look back through time to see this. From ancient cave paintings, stone circles, the gods of ancient egypt, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, the Mayans and Incas, Native Indians of the Americas, Norse gods, Maori gods, Judaism, Islam and Christianity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:07 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Plenty

In what way?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:14 pm

heavenly father wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

Plenty

In what way?

We are talking in regards to choice, think about it if you doubted this faith/belief/knowing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:16 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

In what way?

We are talking in regards to choice, think about it if you doubted this faith/belief/knowing?

stil makes no difference, you may have times of doubt many believers do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next