NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sainsbury's blames vegetarians for Britain's food waste problem

+5
'Wolfie
Vintage
SEXY MAMA
HoratioTarr
nicko
9 posters

Go down

Sainsbury's blames vegetarians for Britain's food waste problem Empty Sainsbury's blames vegetarians for Britain's food waste problem

Post by Guest Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:22 am

"Fussy eaters" who follow vegetarian and free-from diets are driving a rise in food waste, Sainsbury's has claimed. According to the supermarket, over 3.5 million families in the UK are binning food as a result of catering for different tastes, diets and routines.

Home cooks preparing and cooking multiple meals every day to cater for different family members are wasting ingredients, it warned, contributing to the seven million tonnes of food that is wasted by British families every year. On average, parents make two different dishes for one meal time every day to accommodate the varying needs of the family, and a fifth make as many as three, Sainsbury's found.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/28/sainsburys-blames-vegetarians-britains-food-waste-problem/

Back to top Go down

Sainsbury's blames vegetarians for Britain's food waste problem Empty Re: Sainsbury's blames vegetarians for Britain's food waste problem

Post by nicko Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:00 am

When I was young, [was I ever] Mom would put the same dinner on the Table for all of us. Eat it or go without was said.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Sainsbury's blames vegetarians for Britain's food waste problem Empty Re: Sainsbury's blames vegetarians for Britain's food waste problem

Post by Guest Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:16 am

nicko wrote:When I was young,  [was I ever]  Mom would put the same dinner on the Table for all of us.     Eat it or go without was said.

Had the same happen mate.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:25 am

nicko wrote:When I was young,  [was I ever]  Mom would put the same dinner on the Table for all of us.     Eat it or go without was said.

That's how it was. Our parents were war babies, and taught never to waste food at a time when rationing was in. I remember coming home from school and having buttered toast and marmite if I was hungry. We had no crisps, sweets, etc. We were all thin, and all very healthy.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 am

Does any one remember POM" I think it was mashed Potato, had it with fried Spam and peas. There was also dried Egg Powder. I always remember the Orange juice Mom got from the "Welfare".
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:16 am

Thorin wrote:"Fussy eaters" who follow vegetarian and free-from diets are driving a rise in food waste, Sainsbury's has claimed. According to the supermarket, over 3.5 million families in the UK are binning food as a result of catering for different tastes, diets and routines.

Home cooks preparing and cooking multiple meals every day to cater for different family members are wasting ingredients, it warned, contributing to the seven million tonnes of food that is wasted by British families every year. On average, parents make two different dishes for one meal time every day to accommodate the varying needs of the family, and a fifth make as many as three, Sainsbury's found.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/28/sainsburys-blames-vegetarians-britains-food-waste-problem/

It's the parents fault if they decide to waste bloody food!

Basic manners is to finish what's on your plate. End of.

Maybe 'bad' cooking is to blame rather than Vegetarians though lol
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:22 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Thorin wrote:"Fussy eaters" who follow vegetarian and free-from diets are driving a rise in food waste, Sainsbury's has claimed. According to the supermarket, over 3.5 million families in the UK are binning food as a result of catering for different tastes, diets and routines.

1) First point I agree with.

2) Nothing to do with manners as that is something different based on the views of those specific parents.Its common sense to eat what is provided for you and as seen is poor to waste good food.

3) I would think clearly some parents allow their children to be completely fussy.

I once had my father bring me out the same dinner I did not eat the night before, at breakfast, lunch and then dinner. I watched overs enjoy their meals whilst I simple stared at mine. In the end I conceeded and wolfed it down because I was so hungry.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:27 am

Thorin wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

2) Nothing to do with manners as that is something different based on the views of those specific parents.Its common sense to eat what is provided for you and as seen is poor to waste good food.

3) I would think clearly some parents allow their children to be completely fussy.

I once had my father bring me out the same dinner I did not eat the night before, at breakfast, lunch and then dinner. I watched overs enjoy their meals whilst I simple stared at mine. In the end I conceeded and wolfed it down because I was so hungry.

So it basically it boils down to parents then!
Catering for fussy eaters is not a problem if they don't waste the food though. I have to cook 2 different dishes at home and I make sure nothing is wasted.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:28 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Thorin wrote:

So it basically it boils down to parents then!
Catering for fussy eaters is not a problem if they don't waste the food though. I have to cook 2 different dishes at home and I make sure nothing is wasted.

Its partly the child also, as they are being allowed to control the parents. In that the parents give in for a quite life. So yes, the parents are mostly to blame.

I respect that you ensure no food goes to waste Sexy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:09 pm

I don't remember POM. I do remember that awful orange juice, always pretty sour also the fish oil ugh. They were kept in a cupboard in the living room, I used to open the cupboard and stare at them wondering if I could get rid of them somehow, tall four sided bottles one had a blue top the other a silver top - they are imprinted on my memory.
I agree you ate what you were given or did without. I've mentioned before how generally you knew what day it was by the meal on the table, my parents hated waste, after all they had to work hard to put the food on the table. It always amazes me now, just how my mother managed to do so much with so little. We ate a lot of fruit and veg, in season, my grandfather and father had a large garden that they tended and grew almost everything possible and useful. As I mentioned we ate little meat compared to today's portions. Lots of potatoes, boiled fried baked & mashed, also lots of bread, butter and cheese. We rarely ate between meals and sweets were a treat also fizzy drinks, if you were ill you might get warmed lemonade or cherryade to drink or if you were really lucky American Cream Soda! My mother made 'pop' from fruit and elderflower flowers in summer and elderberries for winter drinks, there would have been a fair bit of sugar in those but we worked it all off. I don't remember disliking much enough not to eat it.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Vintage wrote:I don't remember POM. I do remember that awful orange juice, always pretty sour also the fish oil ugh. They were kept in a cupboard in the living room, I used to open the cupboard and stare at them wondering if I could get rid of them somehow, tall four sided bottles one had a blue top the other a silver top - they are imprinted on my memory.

I agree you ate what you were given or did without. I've mentioned before how generally you knew what day it was by the meal on the table, my parents hated waste, after all they had to work hard to put the food on the table. It always amazes me now, just how my mother managed to do so much with so little. We ate a lot of fruit and veg, in season, my grandfather and father had a large garden that they tended and grew almost everything possible and useful. As I mentioned we ate little meat compared to today's portions. Lots of potatoes, boiled fried baked & mashed, also lots of bread, butter and cheese. We rarely ate between meals and sweets were a treat also fizzy drinks, if you were ill you might get warmed lemonade or cherryade to drink or if you were really lucky American Cream Soda! My mother made 'pop' from fruit and elderflower flowers in summer and elderberries for winter drinks, there would have been a fair bit of sugar in those but we worked it all off.  I don't remember disliking much enough not to eat it.

Very interesting Vintage.

Is it just me, but I miss, when the weekend was the one time my parents with little money would try to make something that much more special. They always ensured we had food on the table. Yet they would with the basics still make such good meals. Where my father would even make Ravioli from scratch. I have fond memories on big days like Christmas, he would be up at the crack of dawn preparing the Turkey and all the trimmings. That was a huge event to be had where we always ate after coming back from midday mass. As we could rarely afford roast dinner much. They would have afterwards, dates, hazelnuts, sugared almonds ect.

I used to love how on events like Christmas/Boxing day or Easter Sunday evening. My parents would have a salad spread with Ritz biscuits, cottage cheeze, baby gherkins, olives, radishes, Cheddar, cellary, potato salad etc. We were in food heaven. I used to love my mum making soda bread and her shepherds pie, my favorite. Which was rare when we had this.

The only think I really disliked was Liver, though now really like it.

Have a good day, back later.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:51 pm

10 football fields a day are being Chopped down in the amazon to feed vegetarian locusts

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:01 am

cyclops

A supermarket blames vegetarianism/vegan twonks for a new generation of "fussy eaters"...

A former Anglican bishop is desperately blaming "poor mothering" for a decline in Christianity in Britain (What !  No blame on the fathers ?  Nor the greedy, politically-corrupt, mysoginist or paedo's among the clergy ?).

So much scapegoating, not wanting to admit their own contributions..

What is the world coming to  ?!?
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:24 am

smelly-bandit wrote:10 football fields a day are being Chopped down in the amazon to feed vegetarian locusts

How much wood is within your home?

How many books do you have?

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 am

smelly-bandit wrote:10 football fields a day are being Chopped down in the amazon to feed vegetarian locusts

And how many Animals are slaughtered for the meat eaters?

But hey that's ok.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:58 am

SEXY MAMA wrote:

But hey that's ok.

Good point and how many areas of forest have been cleared to herd that much more animals to be slaughtered for the needs of humans?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:52 am

Link doesn't work.

How does Sainsbury's know what happens to food waste?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 am

Thorin wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

But hey that's ok.

Good point and how many areas of forest have been cleared to herd that much more animals to be slaughtered for the needs of humans?

Exactly. And a lot of the food that's grown is then used for cattle feed too! Far more land is destroyed for meat farming than anything.

I actually wish I had the will power to cut meat from my diet completely. It is by far one of the biggest threats both to the environment and health in the world. And I have vegetarian and vegan friends who are the embodiments of health and so prove it is entirely possible to live as such.

There really are few excuses for meat consumption today. It is the world's sin. Sadly it's something I find very difficult to stop Neutral
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Exactly. And a lot of the food that's grown is then used for cattle feed too! Far more land is destroyed for meat farming than anything.

I actually wish I had the will power to cut meat from my diet completely. It is by far one of the biggest threats both to the environment and health in the world. And I have vegetarian and vegan friends who are the embodiments of health and so prove it is entirely possible to live as such.

There really are few excuses for meat consumption today. It is the world's sin. Sadly it's something I find very difficult to stop Neutral

Well I am sure you do not want to cut out your boyfriends meat and two veg.... Laughing

Sorry, could not resist.  Embarassed

I only eat meat about twice a week to be honest which is more when its within pasta dishes I make. I tend to eat plenty of fish these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Thorin wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Well I am sure you do not want to cut out your boyfriends meat and two veg.... Laughing

I only eat meat about twice a week to be honest which is more when its within pasta dishes I make. I tend to eat plenty of fish these days.

Haha indeed not Razz

It's a daily thing for me, usually twice. To be fair, in Thailand food is extremely cheap but for it to be worth eating it usually involves meat. That and I have a few dishes I tend to really like and stick to.

I still maintain that if any artificial meat that tasted just like the real deal came along, I'd switch instantly.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Haha indeed not Razz

It's a daily thing for me, usually twice. To be fair, in Thailand food is extremely cheap but for it to be worth eating it usually involves meat. That and I have a few dishes I tend to really like and stick to.

I still maintain that if any artificial meat that tasted just like the real deal came along, I'd switch instantly.

It depends what food you are into I guess mate.

I find artifical meat products really poor to be honest, so know what you mean by that.
I dont't think I would ever give up meat to be honest. We have this cafe within a gym and it makes the best burgers in Ashford, which every couple of weeks I indulge in having one of these monsters. I seriously am not kidding when I say. That when you bite into, its heaven. Its expensive to buy, but worth it, as its good quality meat. So you really do not mind paying that much more. I mean not many gyms have a cafe like this, but the food is amasing.

So what is your favorite dish to have in Thailand?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I used to eat meat, and I still eat fish, but I stopped eating other meat gradually for my own reasons. Now I can't imagine eating it at all.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:28 pm

Thorin wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Haha indeed not Razz

I find artifical meat products really poor to be honest, so know what you mean by that.
I dont't think I would ever give up meat to be honest. We have this cafe within a gym and it makes the best burgers in Ashford, which every couple of weeks I indulge in having one of these monsters. I seriously am not kidding when I say. That when you bite into, its heaven. Its expensive to buy, but worth it, as its good quality meat. So you really do not mind paying that much more. I mean not many gyms have a cafe like this, but the food is amasing.

Larb Mu (which translates as Spicy Pork Salad but isn't really a 'salad' as such lol)

and Yum Guy Zaab (which translates as Spicy Fried Chicken Salad, but again isn't really a salad at all lol)

The 2nd one is specifically the one near where I work, which costs about one British pound is the most satisfying food you can eat lol (it's street food too, which is all the more amazing Smile )
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I used to eat meat, and I still eat fish, but I stopped eating other meat gradually for my own reasons. Now I can't imagine eating it at all.

My personal goal is to be able to say that last sentence for myself- sadly not something I'm working toward, though Neutral
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:00 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Larb Mu (which translates as Spicy Pork Salad but isn't really a 'salad' as such lol)

and Yum Guy Zaab (which translates as Spicy Fried Chicken Salad, but again isn't really a salad at all lol)

The 2nd one is specifically the one near where I work, which costs about one British pound is the most satisfying food you can eat lol (it's street food too, which is all the more amazing Smile )

I am not a big fan of chicken myself, and generally would only have within a curry.

Nice choices though.

Is there anything that you miss to eat here?

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Thorin wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I am not a big fan of chicken myself, and generally would only have within a curry.

Nice choices though.

Potato Hash with Suet Dumplings Smile

Even fish and chips and and a proper chip butty Smile

And then a score of junk like pot noodles, Walkers crisp, Cadbury chocolate. The Thai equivalents are generally crap (in fact, chocolate everywhere outside Europe is crap, I've found...).

Oh and of course British style Indian food hahaha
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Nice choices though.

And then a score of junk like pot noodles, Walkers crisp, Cadbury chocolate. The Thai equivalents are generally crap (in fact, chocolate everywhere outside Europe is crap, I've found...).

You can tell you are not from the south of England by such choices, wierd that is it not?

Not a fan of cheezy chips?

Laughed at the fact you miss an Indian, being as you are that much closer to India than I am... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Thorin wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Nice choices though.

You can tell you are not from the south of England by such choices, wierd that is it not?

Laughed at the fact you miss an Indian, being as you are that much closer to India than I am... Laughing

It's different in Indian and different again in Thailand. Similar enough though, I just grew up on Indian from home lol

And yes 'Tater-ash' (as we call it where I'm from haha) and chip butties are very much part of where I'm from. I haven't tried cheesy chips, but they sound great Razz
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

It's different in Indian and different again in Thailand. Similar enough though, I just grew up on Indian from home lol

And yes 'Tater-ash' (as we call it where I'm from haha) and chip butties are very much part of where I'm from. I haven't tried cheesy chips, but they sound great Razz

You have never tried cheezy chips?

Mate, seriously, they are lush.... Laughing

One of my mates even adds curry sauce to his, which i find a tad too wierd, but he loves them.

So I guess the first thing you have when back home is a curry then?

Are you going travelling anywhere else for your honeymoon?

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Thorin wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

One of my mates even adds curry sauce to his, which i find a tad too wierd, but he loves them.

Curry sauce in chips is a winner Smile

I indulge in everything when I'm home tbh.

We will have been to England 3 times in the last 12 months so a honeymoon is out, can't have so much time off work lol.
We are planning on doing Prague-Vienna-Budapest over 10 days next year, kind of a delayed honeymoon Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:35 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

We will have been to England 3 times in the last 12 months so a honeymoon is out, can't have so much time off work lol.
We are planning on doing Prague-Vienna-Budapest over 10 days next year, kind of a delayed honeymoon Smile

Budapest brings back found memories, have been there a few times, as well as prague and Vienna.

Well I am sure you can wait for the honeymoon, the most important this is that you are both getting married.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Thorin wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Budapest brings back found memories, have been there a few times, as well as prague and Vienna.

Well I am sure you can wait for the honeymoon, the most important this is that you are both getting married.

Laughing

Right, one step at a time king king
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:16 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:

But hey that's ok.

Meat is meat and man must eat.

Hey I like vegetarians , like em medium rare

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:29 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

But hey that's ok.

Yeah but can you eat a whole one?
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:49 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:cyclops

A supermarket blames vegetarianism/vegan twonks for a new generation of "fussy eaters"...

A former Anglican bishop is desperately blaming "poor mothering" for a decline in Christianity in Britain (What !  No blame on the fathers ?  Nor the greedy, politically-corrupt, mysoginist or paedo's among the clergy ?).

So much scapegoating,  not wanting to admit their own contributions..

Rolling Eyes

One of the Flap'tards 'redded' me for this ???

That bunch of fools really are getting desperate..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:00 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:

Rolling Eyes

One of the Flap'tards 'redded' me for this  ???

Do stop crying. You give out enough reds for no apparent reason.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:03 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

But hey that's ok.

Rolling Eyes

SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:05 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Thorin wrote:

No it not easy! It's takes a lot of self control!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Can I just say....for those of you not fond of "artificial meat", it really, truly depends on how you season it.

I've cooked plenty of quorn bolognese and chilli con carne and tofu red Thai curry and even the most ardent meat-eaters have loved it.

It's ALL about the seasoning and the longer you marinate it, (same with meant actually), the better.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:28 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:

Rolling Eyes

One of the Flap'tards 'redded' me for this  ???

wasnt me mate, i only give you greens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down